• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Colt Single Action Army’s and their clones…how do you like them? I rarely see them up for sale, especially on here, what are your sentiments towards them? Out of probably hundreds of guns that I’ve had over 40 years, I’ve never had a Colt SAA or near clone. The closest that I’ve had, has been a few Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawks. I never really loved them, and I always wound up trading or selling them. But I’ve wondered if I’m missing out because I haven’t had a true SAA or clone. I’m not trying to get dressed up and do cowboy action shooting, but I love the history of the classic cowboy pistol..if you own one, do you shoot it regularly? Is it one of your favorites, or just a safe queen?

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have owned several over the decades. I think it takes more practice to shoot a SA revolver if you are mostly a semi-auto or double action fan. I believe the grip requires a different grip and know single actions usually shoot better if using the fist half of the first digit of your trigger finger.

I had a Ruger Vaquero in 44-40 that was a one hole shooter at 15 yards, in the hands of a skilled shooter other than me. I was always very competent with DA revolvers and semi-autos, but never practiced enough to master the change to SA Colt style pistols.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have Ruger Vaqueros & SAA clones. Like both flavors. To me both are great shooters Now the Ruger has the safety transfer bar so no firing pin on the hammer like with the Colt clones. So one can safely carry 6 rounds in the Ruger vs 5 rounds in the clone. I really do not believe one would be unhappy with either. If you ever want to compare some of them side by side would be glad to let you use some.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a Colt 3rd gen SAA .357 4 3/4 blue/case color that I shoot regularly. I run 180 rnfp cast at just over 1,000 fps. It’s very accurate and soft to shoot because of the extra weight. If you’re a handloader, .45 Colt is the way to go in all barrel lengths imo. Cimmarons are pretty nice if you get a good one that doesn’t light strike and shoots to the sights. I would try one of those first. Nothing like a good SAA if you’re a handgun guy.

punisher338

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have a Cimmaron Arms Doc Holiday that is nickel plated with ivory polymer grips and a dagger to match all in a shoulder holster rig. It is a a great shooter and lots of fun

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What didn't you like about the Blackhawk? If it's the grip or loading gate, then the SAA isn't going to be much different. I love my 357 Blackhawk, I call it the confidence booster because of how easy it is to hit whatever I aim at. But, if I had a choice between a loading gate or flip out cylinder, the flip out would definitely win. Of course, I did change to more hand filling grips on my Blackhawk, instead of the more traditional single handed grip.
    The Blackhawk and SAA are very similar when it comes to ergonomics and style, the Blackhawk just had adjustable rear sight and the transfer bar, so if you don't like the Blackhawk, chances are you won't like the SAA

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    What didn't you like about the Blackhawk? If it's the grip or loading gate, then the SAA isn't going to be much different. I love my 357 Blackhawk, I call it the confidence booster because of how easy it is to hit whatever I aim at. But, if I had a choice between a loading gate or flip out cylinder, the flip out would definitely win. Of course, I did change to more hand filling grips on my Blackhawk, instead of the more traditional single handed grip.
    The Blackhawk and SAA are very similar when it comes to ergonomics and style, the Blackhawk just had adjustable rear sight and the transfer bar, so if you don't like the Blackhawk, chances are you won't like the SAA

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    My Blackhawk’s shot and functioned perfectly. What I didn’t like about them was that they weren’t a close enough clone of the colt saa. I didn’t get the same nostalgic feeling from it that I did with a closer Colt clone. For practical purposes, the Blackhawk was perfect, but I didn’t really want a single action revolver for practical purposes, I just wanted to feel like John Wayne

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the greatest things you can get for you 45 SAA is to get one of the 45 ACP cylinders. During this last--latest--current ammo scare when you could not get 45 lc anywhere. Nice to have the option to use 45 acp. And it is extra sweet one does not need stars. Its almost magic.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    With Ruger the New Vaquero will get you close to the size and feel of the old Colt SAA, but they can't take the heavy loads of the Old Vaquero or the Blackhawks. As stated above, the Cimmaron's are good pistols and a close clone of the Colts. I would like to have a Colt, but they are getting a little expensive, if you can even find one. Check out the Ruger SAA's and Blackhawks with the Bisley grip frame. They are a real pleasure to shoot. Love mine. Just noticed, that is reflection on the end of the barrel, it is not damaged. Caliber... .45 Colt
    19439D72-3A41-4BE8-9454-706A7EB4C1F7_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley get thee behind me! Can't stand it.

I suppose it might be "legal" under proposed new legislation. They'll get em next round tho.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a Stoeger Uberti Cattleman 45 that shoots good.

A Cimarron Uberti Model P 44 that shoots good.

I have a Pietta Pistolero 45 that I cannot hit the side of a barn if I stand in the barn.

I bought a nice Ruger New Vaquero off this forum not long ago, nice gun, have not shot it yet.

But if you can afford a Colt SAA, buy it, you will not regret it. I am fond of my Colts.
    aa33348f91567c4c9c5fe4878f3d6342.jpg

Last edited:

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley get thee behind me! Can't stand it.

I suppose it might be "legal" under proposed new legislation. They'll get em next round tho.
    I know, I saw it hanging on the wall at Gulf Coast Guns in Milton and I couldn't stand it either. Yes, I guess prune face will go after them next.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    If we're lucky he'll get distracted by EVs for a bit and forget about guns.

I want a 480R so that's a tough one to find.
    Yes, very tough to find. I just lucked in to this one. I don't think it had been out very long. It was one of those can't walk away without it things.

Top Bottom