• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    The only thing I see good about this is there won't be any bitching and moaning about who was first or you posted or who pm'd
    The seller will have all pm stamped and can either use his judgement on who to sell to or take the first bidder.
    I do agree the posting is out of hand, but replies are some times warranted as caveman says.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No, I personally don’t want to ban reviews, but I think changes could be made for the better.

Understand the forum is a private entity, made for the benefit of the gun community. Mods are just here to improve the overall user experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I appreciate the insight into your thinking. Yes, GCGF is private and as Facebook, Google and YouTube you are free to restrict discourse to meet your goals. It seems you may be stepping upon the slippery slope of censorship when you shared with regards to buyer and seller reviews:

"but I think changes could be made for the better."

What changes are you next considering?

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think. Well hell, i deleted it. I enjoy this forum and learn alot from everyone on here even though i dont post much. I have no clue what a mod's job is so i'll try not to judge

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At the top of the Forums Index page is:
    No More Comments on Classified Ads COMING SOON!
    READ more here..

The above LINK: doesn't work.

On the Changes: It a business not a democracy nor a republic. The few Referees Mods are probably spending hours correcting, moving, reminding lazy idiots "people" of Rules they should have read and followed throughout the Forum. From multiple complaints and issues I've read over the long haul, it will eliminate them from the Threads and in turn there will be no anchor point to bitch about. Not my monkey, not my Circus and Admission is still Free.

skippyt

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The challenge is, we seem to have one or two, mainly one, blowhard that cannot resist on extolling their profound knowledge of everything firearms related in to everyone's thread, sure, we can all google this shit, they just seem to want to impress everyone who cares to listen to them, and the only way to do that is to infest threads that neither warrant or need their input, if this cuts their crap out, you have my vote :)

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    We can’t always have control over what happens in our lives. Life can’t always be fair and we can’t always get everything that we want. The most important thing we need to realize is that we’re always in complete control over the way we handle every situation that’s thrown our way. We must learn how to retrain our brains to start focusing on the things that we do have power over and find the courage to let go of a situation that didn’t work out like we wanted it to. When we aren’t satisfied with something we have two choices, we can either A. Determine whether it’s something that can be fixed or changed. or B. If the answer is yes, fix it. If the answer is no, let it go.

Change is intimidating because we don’t know what lies ahead of us. Standing on the edge, pushing forward makes it seem like a major drop-off between where we are right now and what direction we’re supposed to go next. Realize that change inspires change, and change is not always scary. Without it we would likely remain in the same place for our entire life and where’s the excitement in that? We’re constantly progressing and transforming every single day and it’s important that we learn to embody change with open arms rather than reprehend it. You may not have control over something in life, but you do have control over your reaction to it. If you lull over something that didn’t go as you planned it to then you might miss out on the possibility for things to finally go your way. Accept what you’re unable to change and be bold enough to make those changes when you’re able to so. Most importantly, be able to recognize the difference between the two.

Taking risks and blindly embarking into uncharted territory can be scary, but it inspires new beginnings and opportunities to grow. We learn lessons even from changes that did not lead you to where you wanted to be. Change allows us to move forward and help us heal our wounds. When you start focusing on new circumstances and new reasons to be happy you’ll stop paying attention to what no longer deserves a spot in your life. With that being said, you will experience loss along the way. You will find yourself leaving behind people, places, and things you once thought you could never live without. It’s a part of growing into the person you’re meant to be, and sometimes when people grow, they grow apart. Although the reason might not be clear at the time, it’s all going to make perfect sense to you someday. Each and every change reveals something new about yourself that you didn’t pay attention to before.

You will remove people from your life so that you can make room for new people. You will see how people will come and go but the memories and lessons they provide us with will always stay with us. You will need to let go of sanctuary in order to endure more opportunities. Growth transpires from struggle. You’ll be broke. You’ll be heartbroken. And to be honest, you’ll probably want to give up.

Remember that tough times don’t last forever and they’re meant to help you appreciate the good times that are just at your reach.
    Learn to embrace the changes that are thrown your way as just another part of life’s wild journey.

Did you author that yourself, or is that copy/paste from someone else?

Quite the deep thoughts for a 'For Sale' rules change thread. Good insights, just wow...

For the mods, I've seen this "no comments" system on other forums, too. Some allow the sale thread to remain quite clean and anonymous. Other forums require the seller to publicly mention the user name of who bought the item.

I am definitely NOT in favor of that requirement. Hopefully it does not become a new one here.

Side question: when you all meet about this stuff, is it a zoom meeting with dark robes over your eyes and Halloween fog machines? Ya know what, don't answer that. It'll ruin the mystique...

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m not going to further derail this. You are however continuing to confuse government oppression with rule making. In case you were confused, you cannot say whatever you want on the forum without fear of censorship. Please review the forum’s rules that “censor” your freedom of speech on the forum. It’s like if you were to dog cuss your boss; your “free” to do so, but there are consequences.

Changes may or may not come. I’m just A mod, and not Admin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I believe I am crystal clear in my understanding. You are applying a narrow definition of censorship in thinking it only applies to governments. It can also be practiced by private organizations and when so practiced, is (based upon my limited understanding) legal. Be bold, embrace the word censorship as it is your right to practice it. It seems... weak to hide behind the phrase "rule making".

To be clear:
    As a private organization, GCGF has every right to censor what the forum carries.

I offer my comments as a warning that the path you are heading down can make your jobs harder and more stressful. Censorship (rules enforcement) is difficult to control as members cite the last rules enforcement to justify doing it again to meet their needs in a new situation. You may find you will need to revisit and refine the rules frequently as new situations arise. People will expect you consistently apply the rules to everyone, every time. You may also have an increase in members helping you enforce other rules, as you should. Human nature being what it is, this could prove entertaining.

You have the helm.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What changes are you next considering?
    Maybe going to a 3-day wait period Before you can Post anything?

There's always the Pensacola Fishing Forum with a Firearm Buy/Sell Section.

Also, it'd be nice if you (Admin) would return the old smiley icons. The new ones really suck.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    To be fair, there's nothing preventing you from making a post about the for sale post and asking questions on that... This change seems to be more to make the for sale section cleaner.

Im sure the lock thing is being worked on. Its got to be just as annoying to the mods as it is to us.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The challenge is, we seem to have one or two, mainly one, blowhard that cannot resist on extolling their profound knowledge of everything firearms related in to everyone's thread, sure, we can all google this shit, they just seem to want to impress everyone who cares to listen to them, and the only way to do that is to infest threads that neither warrant or need their input, if this cuts their crap out, you have my vote :)

This may be helpful:

I just learned earlier in this thread that there is an ignore button in our profile. Not sure how it works. If it prevents us from viewing posts from specific people that may be just the tool to help your situation. Life is too short to be irritated especially if there is a solution. Hope you find some relief :)

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think. Well hell, i deleted it. I enjoy this forum and learn alot from everyone on here even though i dont post much. I have no clue what a mod's job is so i'll try not to judge
    Sir, you are more wise than I am. I should follow your lead.

Good advice: the wise do not need it and the fool will not heed it. Guess I am the fool.:)

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This may be helpful:

I just learned earlier in this thread that there is an ignore button in our profile. Not sure how it works. If it prevents us from viewing posts from specific people that may be just the tool to help your situation. Life is too short to be irritated especially if there is a solution. Hope you find some relief :)

If you "ignore" someone, you don't see anything they post unless you touch/click the "Show ignored content" text at the bottom of the page. That will temporarily show you their post (if one is on the page) or it will reveal a thread they started (if you're on an index page).

I think "ignoring" blocks you from PM-ing each other, too?

IMG_5813.JPG

With this rule change, you wouldn't see a sale thread by them, unless you were on the For Sale thread index, scrolled all the way down, and clicked that "Show..." text.

If their thread is at the top of the list, it will show up when you are looking at the overall sections page.

With no one else posting on their thread, it won't be at the top of the list but once every day or two.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Are the locked sale threads being archived or "hidden" somehow?

On the main page currently, Blu Goose's Savage Axis thread shows as most recent Firearms For Sale thread, but when you goto the Firearms For Sale section it isn't there. I'm not ignoring him, so I'm wondering why I can't see it, other than it has the "Not open for further replies" tag on it.

Edit to add: MicVic's Canik thread shows SOLD and the thread is locked, but it's visible. Weird.

Edit a 2nd time: I had to toggle my Filters to a different setting, hit the red "Filter" button, then toggle them back to previous and hit the red Filter button again to apply the "changes" back to normal. No net difference, but it made the "missing" threads visible again.

Last edit for this post: filters don't hold. Once I exit a section in the For Sale section (firearms, ammo, accessories, etc), when I go back to look, the threads are not in order as previously saved. Works correctly in other areas (General Discussion, etc) just not For Sale.

Last edited:

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    EX PURTS, EX= something in the past, not relevant, Purts= a small amount of water that was under pressure and suddenly released, On another forum they were referred to as "post whores". Also, they are like people that just like to hear themselves talk , thinking to themselves "damn I'm smart"

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just make everyone their own Mod in the FS Gun section only. Then if the seller has a problem with a rant post or hijack, the seller can delete that post. And no worries for mods to interfere to clean up a thread anymore. Done deal, No more problems.

Creative solution. Wonder if the software will allow it.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Are the locked sale threads being archived or "hidden" somehow?

On the main page currently, Blu Goose's Savage Axis thread shows as most recent Firearms For Sale thread, but when you goto the Firearms For Sale section it isn't there. I'm not ignoring him, so I'm wondering why I can't see it, other than it has the "Not open for further replies" tag on it.

Edit to add: MicVic's Canik thread shows SOLD and the thread is locked, but it's visible. Weird.

Edit a 2nd time: I had to toggle my Filters to a different setting, hit the red "Filter" button, then toggle them back to previous and hit the red Filter button again to apply the "changes" back to normal. No net difference, but it made the "missing" threads visible again.

Last edit for this post: filters don't hold. Once I exit a section in the For Sale section (firearms, ammo, accessories, etc), when I go back to look, the threads are not in order as previously saved. Works correctly in other areas (General Discussion, etc) just not For Sale.
    I've missed several deals of issues like this. I look through the sale forums then I click on new posts to see what's going on. A gun that hasn't been in my feed for hours, sometimes all day, I'll see show up in the new posts feed with replies it's sold. Knowing I've refreshed the page and checked it multiple times. Some threads seem to be delayed in showing up in new feed or sometimes not at all it's strange.
    Edit!
    Here is another example. I've been on and off the forum most of the evening. Trijicon site posted at 902pm just shows in my new feed at 1132pm. I've refreshed the page, went to Facebook and comeback a couple times.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom