• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickGuns18

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just turned 18 a few months ago and I was reading some things on how old you have to be to own a handgun in Florida. I have heard that your allowed to buy a handgun at 18 if it’s not from a licensed dealer. Like you can buy it from a gun show, or private owner. I have also heard that anyone under 18 is not allowed to buy a handgun from anywhere. I just need some clarification on what the legal age is for me to buy a handgun. If I was to buy one I would buy from a gun show or private owner anyway. I also need clarification on wether or not I am allowed to carry a handgun in my car at my age. Thanks everyone!

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what I found on the internet, basically 18 to own, but 21 to purchase. I'm not a lawyer, so knowledge is power and ignorance isn't a legal defense.

"As of March 2, 2018, Florida state law no longer mirrors the federal law for purchasing a firearm. Florida law now requires a person to be 21 years of age or older to purchase any firearm from any source, although the law only lists penalties if an FFL dealer makes the sale. So which law controls? When the federal government sets a minimum age to be able to do something, a state can be more restrictive but not less. Therefore, if the State of Florida increases the minimum age, then you must be 21 years or older to purchase a long gun or a handgun."

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At a gun show, you're buying from a private owner or from a licensed dealer. Just being at a gun show does nothing to change the rules regarding a purchase from either source.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    At a gun show, you're buying from a private owner or from a licensed dealer. Just being at a gun show does nothing to change the rules regarding a purchase from either source.
    Most tables at gun shows are FFL licensed dealers and they have to abide by the same rules as the local gun shop. The whole “gun show loophole” Talk is mostly crap

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Non Lawyer comment. Although being between the age of 18 to 21 you are restricted from purchasing a handgun: you may own one, which is lawful possession. This could originate from a bonified gift of a firearm given to you (past or future). Under the Fed Law a Bonafide Gift is not a illegal "Straw Purchase". Routinely, this may be given from a parent, older sibling, older spouse. Since a person is not a technically a Minor under parental control at 18, it is not a parental permission required issue between ages of 18 to 21. A word of caution. A gun being a "Bonafide Gift" can receive strict scrutiny under the Law. An "friend" who "gives" you a gun as a gift would likely result in serious trouble for both of you.

Let's say you ask for a gun as a handgun Gift from a parent and you get one. At this point you are a lawful Owner of a handgun and may possess it In accorcance with State and Fed Law. You must fully understand the responsibilities and potential liabilities that entails. You may have a loaded handgun in a vehicle under "your control" as long as you meet the FL Statute requirements for how its "secured" (snapped in a holster (off body) or in a closed compartment or encased). You may also properly conceal carry the handgun without a FWFL (CC Permit) while directly engaged in an declared Florida emergency evacuation until you reach the State Line.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is a mini rant and won’t help you OP. Please forgive me.

How have age restrictions on legal adults in this country lasted as long as they have? If you are of the legal age to sign a contract, on what constitutional basis can any government bar you from exercising the full compliment of rights as a citizen. This one really gets under my skin and I’ve never had it explained to my satisfaction. Booze, guns, retirement villages (lol), on and on.

I could live with an argument to make the legal age of majority 21, or 15, or whatever. But I can’t understand being restricted one past that magic age, currently 18.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom