• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    As for the steel rods. Pvc pipe works really good or electrical conduit(carlon). Won't damage fragile flooring. I've moved a whole 10ft storage shed and several other items with pvc pipe as well.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mikes shpuld have their safe sale soon. They were alot cheaper and had cheaper delivery than the safe store in mobile for the same liberty safe. I personally prefer a mechanical lock

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As for the steel rods. Won't damage fragile flooring.

I did leave out the part about using it on concrete floors. Sometimes we use them on top of plywood.

The dolly I have climbs stairs and the wheels are soft enough that it will not damage soft pine flooring. But if you roll one across a ceramic tile that isn't solid under it...it will likely crack it. Conduit will scratch too. If the unit is larger and real heavy I rent a scissor lift trailer that goes to the ground. I never lay one down...I always move them upright.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tractor supply has a heavy duty 800lb dolly for $110. It has large pneumatic tires so moving across a gravel driveway is possible. Also a micro skid steer such as a Toro Dingo can be rented for $200 with pallet forks. They are rated for 1000lbs. and are 41" wide

CaptRoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Can you share some details of how your safe was attacked? Was it the hinges or lock or around the door frame?
    look it up on youtube they flip the safe on its back and use pry bars in like flynn

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    look it up on youtube they flip the safe on its back and use pry bars in like flynn
    [/QUOTE

3 minutes with a 4.5” grinder and cutting wheel. I would t want to mess with the door but the top or sides would take minutes. They all are made from gauge steel just thicker than a sardine can.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Tractor supply has a heavy duty 800lb dolly for $110. It has large pneumatic tires so moving across a gravel driveway is possible. Also a micro skid steer such as a Toro Dingo can be rented for $200 with pallet forks. They are rated for 1000lbs. and are 41" wide
    No room to store it. Lol. I rented one last time. Was 16 bucks.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

That is one reason a safe should be anchored to the floor....way to easy to turn over since it is top heavy if you don't...that is the quickest way to get in the lower end ones that have rolled doors. If the door is sheet steel with the internal workings welded to it...it is much harder to get in like that.

Attacking the exposed hinges will not achieve anything since most of them are dead pinned on the hinge side.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All of the name brand safes are in fact residential security containers. A couple of pro thieves will get into any of them in under10 minutes. The good news is , there are very few Pro thieves that are interested in stealing guns. If a average gun safe is bolted down , the chances of you guns being stolen drops more than 95% and is in my opinion a worth while investment.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Ft Knox even has active bolts in the corners to help prevent those types of pry attacks.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Here is some advice and you may or may not like it. Those safes from tractor supply are probably ok fire protection and will keep kids away from your guns, but are in no way any challenge for experienced thieves. I had one at my farm in MO that got broken into. You can find the methods to get them open on the internet. Now for the good part. Cannon absolutely stood behind the safe and went above and beyond warranty for me. Not only did they replace the safe at absolutely no cost to me, they upgraded me to a better safe and delivered it to my house in Florida because I sold the place in MO, all on their dime. I believe any safe can be opened if the thieves have the time however there are safes that will really slow them down. I also own an American Security safe that I have had for 20 years. That safe costs over 5 grand now but it is so much better/heavier built than the cannons that it makes them look like a tin foil box. My sisters house burned to the ground, very hot fire, and my brother in law had a cheap cannon safe from tractor supply. Guns inside were fine but papers inside were turned brown. If you are keeping documents inside one of these buy another small fireproof safe and put inside the other safe. Here is a pic of the safe they broke into. They removed the electronic lock mechanism, cut out a section around it with a grinder then simply reached in and tripped the lock mechanism.
    20190917_124432.jpg

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That had to take some time and make a lot of noise, I guess they knew when you weren't going to be home for a while. Like has been said here, professional thieves know how to break into probably 90% of the safes out there. My goal is to not let the professional thief in my house in the first place or if they do get in they can smile for the camera!

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That only took seconds. If this happened in a tight neighborhood the neighbors would not hear it behind closed doors. Like he said they are made of thin gauge metal. A 4.5” grinder is a thieves best friend. Especially with the new battery powered ones

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Short work right there with a 4.5" with a good cut off wheel...doubt it took 5 minutes unless it was battery powered. And with Cannon the fire retardant is on the back of the plate on the inside of the door. Other manufactures use a pour in type or attach it to the outside of the door. The person that did that had some basic knowledge of the inner workings of a safe....wasn't your average thug with a pry bar.

Reactions: FLT

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone that thinks they can buy a safe that will protect their guns from professional thieves isn’t paying attention.
    Occasionally, a bank vault is broken into and the safety deposit boxes are drilled and looted. What a safe will do is stop most amateur burglars . It’s about percentages nothing more, if you let it be known that you have a safe that has valuable things in it you increase the chances that it’ll be broken in to drastically. A friend of mine installed an expensive safe when he was building his new home , his thoughts were it won’t fit through a door So it will be next to impossible to remove from the house. Thieves ran a cable or chain through a window and yanked it through a wall ! I don’t know what they thought was in it , but I’m pretty sure they weren’t looking for guns. Thousands of dollars worth of damage to the new home and a big disappointment for the thieves, the damn safe had nothing of any value in it.

Bamajoey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe I am paranoid but the last thing I would do is hire a moving company or anyone I didn’t know to bring a safe into my home. They know where you live, where it is in your house, and probably if you have a security system or not. If no one knows or suspects you have any valuables there is a lot less chance you will be broken into. I would get very close friends or family to help me If I needed help.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I put mine in my house by myself, not everyone can but I moved mine up one set of stairs that is 4 steps and another that is 10 with only my wife keeping the kids out of the way. Now I would probably get my brother and his son to help but at the time(a family argument) I felt like I wanted to keep it to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I put mine in my house by myself, not everyone can but I moved mine up one set of stairs that is 4 steps and another that is 10 with only my wife keeping the kids out of the way. Now I would probably get my brother and his son to help but at the time(a family argument) I felt like I wanted to keep it to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Note To Self , don’t mess with 3 men & a boat! He’s strong enough to drag a gun safe up a flight of stairs by himself !

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What happened to my smileys , I posted a wink after the above.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a liberty Lincoln model and can tell a huge difference over my winchester safe that was broken into. Hinges, anti pry etc are all options that some of the cheaper safes do not have. Like I said do your homework. It suck to come home and fine your safe broken into and your stuff stolen. Also bolt it to the floor. Cheers,
    I had a Liberty Lincoln that a neighbor donated to me after he cut a hole in the side after the combination lock failed. I planned to weld a plate over the opening he made and put that side to a wall where nobody would ever see it. During my rehab project, I was amazed to see what a piece of junk this safe was. I sold that safe as quick as I could after I finished putting it back together.

NOTE: Two layers of sheetrock on the walls of the safe. Only one sheet of sheetrock in the door. What good is a half hour rated door on a one hour safe?

Attached: Are a few pictures of what Liberty considers an acceptable locking system on this safe.

Attachments

• 20161223_143444.jpg
      20161223_143444.jpg
      356.8 KB · Views: 118
    • 20161223_143553.jpg
      20161223_143553.jpg
      284 KB · Views: 117
    • 20170629_200006.jpg
      20170629_200006.jpg
      296.9 KB · Views: 125
    • 20170629_200037.jpg
      20170629_200037.jpg