• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So I'm curious. I have a rifle length AR that I bought years ago as a fully built firearm. Im not certain if the gun was bought as a fully built rifle, or if the person I bought it from built it himself, and registered it as a pistol/other. If I were to strip and sell the lower receiver, does that mean that the buyer could only build a rifle length AR due to the possibility that the gun was initially registered as a rifle and not an "other"?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the lower has a factory serial number on it and plus makers name and it was on a rifle, I would considered it as a rifle. If there is no serial number on it, there is no way to tell and do with it as you please and I am not a lawyer and did not stay in a hilton motel last night.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If the lower has a factory serial number on it and plus makers name and it was on a rifle, I would considered it as a rifle. If there is no serial number on it, there is no way to tell and do with it as you please and I am not a lawyer and did not stay in a hilton motel last night.
    Lol, I get that, but all lowers (not considering 80%) have makers marks and SNs. Just curious to what sort of can of worms this would possibly open in a worst case scenario.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lol, I get that, but all lowers (not considering 80%) have makers marks and SNs. Just curious to what sort of can of worms this would possibly open in a worst case scenario.

If you make it into pistol and the ATF can prove that it was sold as a rifle, you may be considered to be in violation of the NFA. You may have constructed a short barrel rifle it would seem. It is just not worth it.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you make it into pistol and the ATF can prove that it was sold as a rifle, you may be considered to be in violation of the NFA. You may have constructed a short barrel rifle it would seem. It is just not worth it.
    That's my concern, I register all of my lowers as other. Not sure about this one though. I doubt there's anything realistically to worry about, but was just wondering about the technicalities.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bare lowers are sold as (other). That’s the only way it could be listed in the bond book and be factual.
    Mine was listed as an other. But I thought that the dealer could have written pistol or rifle in. I do not know for sure. If true, there is still the possibility that the completed gun passed through a dealer's business at some time and got recorded in his books as a rifle. Normally it would take tracing to prove that is not likely in a run of the mill case.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bare lowers are sold as (other). That’s the only way it could be listed in the bond book and be factual.
    I'm just not certain if this was originally sold as a bare lower or completed rifle. All lowers Ive personally purchased are automatically filled out as other, just unsure what this one was originally. Not a huge issue, I was just curious.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think you should listen to that guy with the 4th post and the 8th post. Make it the 4th post guys problem.
    Haha I was thinking "hypothetically" about selling it and "if" that "other guy" who buys it (not myself of course) were to make it into a pistol, what the possible issues would be...... Lol

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A bare lower is neither a rifle,or a pistol. If it’s listed as such then there is a mistake in the FFLs records and should be corrected . If the atf audit catches it , they will demand that it be corrected .

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A bare lower is neither a rifle,or a pistol. If it’s listed as such then there is a mistake in the FFLs records and should be corrected . If the atf audit catches it , they will demand that it be corrected .
    Correct....it should be an other, but again, idk if it was originally purchased as a bare lower.

Reactions: FLT

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Actual advice though I've never met a person who bought a complete rifle from PSA, usually always kits, heck kits and buying a lower separate from them is always cheaper
    That's what I assume as well, I was just scrolling through PSA and happened to see completed rifles for sale, and it made me think about this scenario and curious about whether mine was built or bought.

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    And just to clarify: nothing's for sale, just a hypothetical question lol

Top Bottom