• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Willliam Johnstone died in 2004 at 65, but he just keeps on giving. Guess he has ghost writers like Obama and Hillary do, no disrespect to Mr. Johnstone or his books.

Check out W.E.B. Griffin. He has written a great series of books about the U.S. Air Force, USMC, U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, Philadelphia detective series and they all keep you riveted and make you feel as if you are there. He's now retired and his son carries on in his name while he lives in Argentina.

Dittos on Vince Flynn and Brad Thor. Don't forget Dan Brown. I read Digital Fortress by him and it was great about the cryptography at the NSA and it was hard to put down. Dan's a real good writer.

Stephen Hunter is must reading for anyone into firearms. He's a former journalist with the Baltimore Sun and wrote the Bob Lee Swagger novels. I see a new one is out I have to read called Sniper's Honor.

But MUST READING is Unintended Consequnces by John Ross for any newbies to guns. The first part is a little slow, but it sure picks up from there. I met the author at Knob Creek back in 1997 when the book first came out and got a couple of signed copies. Spent the better part of two days just getting into that book as I'm not as fast a reader as I would like. That book in hardback is CRAZY price now if you can find it. This is where the e-books really shine.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Absolutely and +10000! W.E.B. Griffin is the man! I have every single book, either hardback, paperback or eBook of everything he's ever published including the ones written under the Butterworth name (his real last name and his son).

Unintended Consequences is exceptional too. I've read it several times. Should be required reading for anyone new to the gun hobby. I won't incriminate myself or give away the plot line but let's just say it has a happy ending and is a good description of how things might be. Its.awesome that you have a signed hard copy Hipower! Hard to find and I've seen copies go for $200 on ebay. Cool thing is its 100% free to download in ebook format.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Lee Child's Reacher series are very good books. A little dramatized here and there, but all the stories are good and there's a lot of them to read, if you like series characters.

I think my all time favorite book is Stephen King's The Stand. It's long and extremely good.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just want to say publicly "thank you!" to Dmurphy for helping get this Luddite up and running with various files and issues I was having IRT PDFs and such. .

The book suggested (Unintended Consequences) should be mandatory reading for American citizens. I am enjoying it immensely and think it should be the next on the list if we're going to continue the book club.

I want to thank you two guys for letting us know about this book. I am reading it now and can't put it down. You are right, it should be required reading. It was very interesting to learn about how the NFA got to stand.

Idoono

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep idoono, it is an excellent read. It drags some for the first half but there is a lot of education about history and the gun culture. The first half made me feel bad for going through the first 40 years of my life not experiencing, enjoying, learning and defending the right to bear arms. The book taught me the why's and wherefore's of the NFA act, the incidiousness of gun laws and how truly stupid they are.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just finished "One Second After" by William Forstchen. He is a new author to me but he's very good. This is about what happens to a small town in North Carolina just outside Asheville, NC about how they had to scrounge, rebuild and survive after the U.S. was hit by three nukes in the air creating EMP's that killed all un-shielded modern electronics and how the old cars, old vacuum tube radios, steam engines, etc. had to be put to use and how people had to survive with dwindling medical supplies and who to let in to their community from the cars now stalled on the interstate at the edge of town. Very well written and somewhat emotional at the end.

Wm. Johnstone also did a good series called "Out of the Ashes" where the United States breaks up into different regions after being attacked by her enemies with the conservatives taking over the Southeast and the liberals the Northeastern region.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds great Pomp! I've got Nook, Kindle and a Tab4 all loaded with each others apps.

I've never tried doing it but I have a huge number of "Lend me" ebooks too. I'll take a little time and see what it takes to get set up. As I understand it you can search my library and borrow anything marked with the Lend me logo.

Not sure about the other cloud setups. I guess it's time to learn.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been meaning to post this for a while but keep forgetting. So I was turned onto these books by a hunting buddy and I'm telling you, it's a must read for anyone who spends time in the woods. To begin, something is F'd up with this book and pricing right now, so look around, but I assure you it's not $535 or anything close to that, should be a $25 book that you will loan to many friends. The basics....people are going missing all over this country, especially in National Parks and nobody knows why or where they are going and the park service is either covering it up or covering it up. They are losing files, not keeping a list of missing people in their parks, not cooperating with investigators or Freedom of Information requests. I'm talking experienced hunters disappearing, their gear found over a 1.5 mile area, sometimes a few small bone fragments are found, never any large bones and tragically, many many boys age 8-9 seem to be the preferred targets. Personally, I'm pretty convinced this is either not from our world or something that is not known to man, Bigfoot or Yeti, something that can carry a man and his pack over many miles, dropping shit as it comes loose over rough ground. Guys are being taken up in altitude, not following downward rivers close by, but heading in the opposite direction toward weather and worsening conditions where items or bone fragments are found scattered. These are not drunk party-goers but guys like us, with knowledge and know-how being taken, clearly by surprise or force as their rifles are found leaning against trees, food still in the cooking pots over cold remnants of a fire, prescription glasses left behind, etc. It is spooky and I'm a damn headshrinker who has heard every possible horror story a felon could act out or dream of. This book gave me PAUSE. There are several of these books out there covering different parts of the USA. I am just starting the Eastern Missing 411 book now. A MUST READ IMO. YouTube has HOURS AND HOURS of interviews and shows with the author and on this subject. Watch the video below.

Link to purchase book for $25
    http://www.nabigfootsearch.com/catalog/item/6180213/9227229.htm

Missing-411 is the first comprehensive book about people who have disappeared in the wilds of North America. It’s understood that people routinely get lost, some want to disappear but this story is about the unusual. Nobody has ever studied the archives for similarities, traits and geographical clusters of missing people, until now.

A tip from a national park ranger led to this three year, 7000+ hour investigative effort into understanding the stories behind people who have vanished. The book chronicles children, adults and the elderly who disappeared, sometimes in the presence of friends and relatives. As Search and Rescue personnel exhaust leads and places to search, relatives start to believe kidnappings and abductions have occurred. The belief by the relatives is not an isolated occurrence; it replicates itself time after time, case after case across North America.

The research depicts 28 clusters of missing people across the continent, something that has never been exposed and was a shocking find to researchers. Topography does play a part into the age of the victims and certain clusters have specific age and sex consistency that is baffling. This is not a phenomenon that has been occurring in just the last few decades, clusters of missing people have been identified as far back as the 1800’s.

The manuscript for the research was extremely large so the story was split between two books, Missing 411 Western United States and Canada and Missing 411 Eastern United States. The Eastern version will be released in late March and will include a list of all missing people in each edition and a concluding chapter that draws both books together for conclusions.

Some of the issues that are discussed in each edition:
    • The National Park Service attitude toward missing people
    • How specific factors in certain cases replicate themselves in different clusters
    • Exposing cases involving missing children that aren’t on any national database
    • Unusual behavior by bloodhounds/canines involved in the search process
    • How storms, berries, swamps, briar patches, boulder fields and victim disabilities play a role in the disappearance
    • The strategies of Search and Rescue personnel need to change under specific circumstances

Major news organizations do a deplorable job of covering
    stories and issues which are deemed too unusual
    or too far outside the box. Chances are, they will find a way
    to trivialize or ignore the disturbing evidence accumulated
    by David Paulides, a former lawman turned investigative
    journalist. The paper trail uncovered by Paulides through
    sheer doggedness is impressive, the evidence indisputable.
    People are vanishing without a trace from our national
    parks and forests, yet government agencies are saying nothing.
    At a minimum, this story deserves space on the front
    page of every newspaper in the country, and it warrants a
    formal high level inquiry by the federal agencies whose files
    leave little doubt that something very strange is unfolding
    in our wilderness.
    George Knapp, Host, Coast to Coast AM

After reading this book, you will forever walk in the woods with a different awareness.

Missing 411- Western United States
    Author-David Paulides
    367 Pages-Black and White
    67 Photos

Interview with the author (who left a career in LE for this) ----

Western_Cover.jpg

Attachments

• Western_Cover.jpg
      Western_Cover.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 358
    Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Coincidentally Clay, I scanned an article last night on this very subject. Strange indeed. I'll have to check it out, wonder if ebooks are cheaper, they usually are.

Here's my general theory on stuff like this: First, I firmly believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. We just haven't encountered them to our knowledge and may never. The universe is uncomprehendlingly vast. Even if they are here and observing us, if they don't want to be seen, they wont.

But, on this situation I suspect a combination of fowl play, common accidents and predators.......with a further possibility. Who's to say we know every species of animal out there? As far fetched as it may seem, even in this country, there may well be some type of predator never before seen with the human eye. I'm not speaking of Bigfoot or whatever you want to call humanoid variation. Could there be an undiscovered variation of dog/coyote/wolf, or cat like creatures the size of a Panther or Cougar, with a much higher intellectual developement, smart enough to understand the human mind through observation to remain totally undetected, even through hundreds of years of human presence?

Sounds far fetched but two points: 1: Think about the ocean and new discoveries of marine life every year, and indont mean down deep, I mean in the normal depths of human surveillance.

2: This country has some huge undeveloped, unmolested areas that something, or a whole breed of somethings could survive in and never be noticed. I have friends that have flown all over this country low and slow. To hear their astonishment over Oregon forests, even huge parcels of NY state is really eye opening. Talk of flying at 1000 ft. and realizing that if they go down and survive the initial impact they could see no way they would ever be found or walk their way out, even with the best tracking and locating equipment.

Just imagine an animal as smart as humans, maybe smarter? Add in a very high survival instinct and yep, I could see humans just vanishing.

Scrooge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm really enjoying "Resilience" by Eric Greitens - Navy SEAL
    subtitled - "Hard-won Wisdom For Living A Better Life"
    Outstanding book and well worth reading.
    He has written another, before this one, that is also excellent. "The Heart and the Fist"

Last edited:

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a book in today from Amazon, "Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley Rawles. I finished "One Year After" a while back and had heard of this author and decided to give it a whirl. He has four more books in this series so if this first one's decent I'll probably get number 2 next.

Though I have a Amazon tablet with several (free) books on it already, I got this book in paperback. I just haven't "taken" to Kindle reading for some reason, too old school I guess.:eek:hwell:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a book in today from Amazon, "Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley Rawles. I finished "One Year After" a while back and had heard of this author and decided to give it a whirl. He has four more books in this series so if this first one's decent I'll probably get number 2 next.

Though I have a Amazon tablet with several (free) books on it already, I got this book in paperback. I just haven't "taken" to Kindle reading for some reason, too old school I guess.:eek:hwell:

Read it, enjoyed it a great deal.

I was the same as you Ross. I vowed to never read ebooks but wife bought me a Nook several years ago and I forced myself to use it for a couple of weeks. Now I cannot live without my tablet. Once you get past the transition you'll see how great it is. I load mine up way ahead so there's always something to read. Also, I linked the app to my phone so in case I'm somewhere without the tablet and I get bored I can pick up a book where I left off. It's saved my sanity more than a few times sitting around for appointments and such. One thing you need to do is spend time customizing it. There's a lot of features that, if you haven't tried them, you may find they make reading easier. I'm not saying it will replace real books 100%, and I still get those too, it's just an amazing convenience. Also helps that you can read in bed without the lights on.

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just picked up a new one at the airport this week. Stephen Coonts - Liberty's Last Stand. I've read a lot of his stuff before but I wish I hadn't used a CC to buy this one........

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I'm not too worried about A list. I'm just worried some dipshit one day will figure out how to cross reference the lists........

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Insightful Reads: Oldies but still great reads.

1) " The Creature From Jekyll Island " By: G. Edward Griffin

2) " Confessions of An Economic Hitman " By: John Perkins

Last edited:
    Top Bottom