• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMurphy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a kindle fire, Have had it for a little over a year and really like it. It sucked when Amazon shut down all the sites that listed free books, But just look around for pdf and with the right converter you should not have to buy a book unless it is something you really want. It seems that different platforms like different .docs.They should all read pdf's, but it is a pita to read a full page document on a small screen. You are always zooming and scrolling. If I am at home and not on a pc I am on my kindle or asleep.

Hope this helps.

David

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of the books suggested are only available on ebooks, of which I’m currently in the market for; so, any suggestions on which reader to buy? Based on some online reviews, I’m leaning towards a Kindle Paperwhite but don’t know squat about them. Help will be appreciated.

I've only had a Nook HD so can't compare it to other offerings. I really enjoy it and didn't think I would. The Kindle may have better options but probably depends on what you want to do.

In the beginning the Nook felt klunky but I've gotten used to reading it so there is going to be a transition period. One thing I realized after getting it is how convenient it can be for other things. I don't use my PC much anymore unless I want to type (CANNOT do the tiny virtual keyboard thing worth a crap). I can sit out on the porch late at night reading with no other ambient light and check email when I feel like it.

I haven't done a lot of searching yet but apparently there is plenty of free books available for download.

Garpo, once you choose, give it a couple of weeks and a book or two and you won't want to go back to print.

Glockguy: I downloaded Lone Survivor this afternoon and will start it tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

I finished Unintended Consequences yesterday afternoon. I'd enjoy discussing that one a lot.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    "lone survivor" and "american sniper" were both good books. i just finished "black mass" its about the fbi and whitey bulger. it was pretty good too but i really like true gangster stuff. ive got a few good ones i cant remember right but now ill check when i get home.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "lone survivor" and "american sniper" were both good books. i just finished "black mass" its about the fbi and whitey bulger. it was pretty good too but i really like true gangster stuff. ive got a few good ones i cant remember right but now ill check when i get home.

Lone Survivor, in my opinion, was the best of all the recent books by SEAL members.
    It's the story of an op gone bad, really bad, told by the only survivor of the op, Marcus Luttrell.
    I read his follow-up book, but it wasn't nearly as good. I found the first one riveting... the kind of book that's hard to put down because you want to know what happens next.

DMurphy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A Rifleman Went to War by Mcbride is a very good read, Even if he is with the Canadians.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awright! Interest rekindling! I know everyone's been busy but it would be awesome to get a little book action going again! For sure I've burned through a few over the last couple of weeks.

DMurphy,I'll check it out!

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just read a book by Willam W. johnstone called Phoenix Rising that was scary as Hell. It's all Based around here Starting at Ft Morgan in Alabama and then spreading out to Pcola. It uses different names for the characters like for George Soros they use Warren Sorroto ( Sound familiar? Barry Soto, Obamas name in College) And Obamas character is Mehdi Ohmshidi, an appropriate Muslim name. It also refers to the past as pre O times. The way they spell out how and who causes the fall of the US is mind blowing because it's so believable. And being set local is cool too. It also brings up some things you don't really think about in the times of our demise of our nations Constitution and implementation of sharia law here. Good read IMO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I finished reading "World War Z" last night and thought it was top rate. It's written in a survivor interview format and really brought up some interesting EOTWAWKI situations I haven't seen before.

If you liked the book for WWZ, you should try "Day by Day Armageddon", I think the author's name was Bourne. The first two books in that series were good...just stop after the second one.

If you are into Marvel or DC stuff, read "Ex Heroes" it was a cool zombie book too. It follows super heroes after the zombie apocalypse, and is about how they cope with the new world.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never heard of him as I don't read westerns. I saw it when I went to go pick up Kris Kyles book and thought it sounded good and I was right.

I'm gonna buy and download it tonight (Phoenix Rising). I'm not much of a Western fan either but his were too slow moving. I suspect that Johnstone, like a lot of writers has the Westerns to pay his bills and something like the book you suggested he actually spends a lot of time and thought on.

Top Bottom