• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about, if you spend more time cleaning & oiling your firearms in a month than expending rounds downrange, perhaps it's time to share the wealth with folks that are firearm starved on the range. Perhaps even a rental program to give others an experience?

When I go to the range, I'll probably put 5 rounds through each gun I bring and then let other people shoot them. The last outing that I brought a bunch out to, I had the following. I rather answer the questions and let people shoot them, then to hoard them to myself. Again it brings a new group of people into the milsurp world and shooting world.

Rifles

M91 Mosin Nagant
    M91/30 Mosin Nagant
    M44 Mosin Nagant
    Type 99 Arisaka
    K98k Mauser
    No 4 Mk 1 Enfield
    MAS 36
    Gew 88
    M24/47 Mauser
    M48 Mauser
    M1 Garand
    AR15
    WASR 10
    SKS

Pistols

CZ83
    CZ52
    M95 Nagant

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I go to the range, I'll probably put 5 rounds through each gun I bring and then let other people shoot them. The last outing that I brought a bunch out to, I had the following. I rather answer the questions and let people shoot them, then to hoard them to myself. Again it brings a new group of people into the milsurp world and shooting world.

Rifles

M91 Mosin Nagant
    M91/30 Mosin Nagant
    M44 Mosin Nagant
    Type 99 Arisaka
    K98k Mauser
    No 4 Mk 1 Enfield
    MAS 36
    Gew 88
    M24/47 Mauser
    M48 Mauser
    M1 Garand
    AR15
    WASR 10
    SKS

Pistols

CZ83
    CZ52
    M95 Nagant

BZ!
    That's what shooting sports are supposed to be. JMHO.
    Unfortunately my current situation has me doling out firearms to family members that have the time to use & clean them. Sometimes you have to play the cards the Big Guy Deals you, life ain't always 5 card draw. How many chips is another day with Grandma Worth? Yet I still hold tight to those Remington Bolt Actions in .308 Win. Even got a .223 Rem Bolt so that the children don't get thier shoulders hurt when they dare to press "The Old Guy".
    When I was young I had more time than money. Nowadays I still don't have enough money, but I'll part with it more freely when it's used to spend time with family.
    I applaud You SIR.
    Keep up the good will. JMHO.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BZ!
    That's what shooting sports are supposed to be. JMHO.
    Unfortunately my current situation has me doling out firearms to family members that have the time to use & clean them. Sometimes you have to play the cards the Big Guy Deals you, life ain't always 5 card draw. How many chips is another day with Grandma Worth? Yet I still hold tight to those Remington Bolt Actions in .308 Win. Even got a .223 Rem Bolt so that the children don't get thier shoulders hurt when they dare to press "The Old Guy".
    When I was young I had more time than money. Nowadays I still don't have enough money, but I'll part with it more freely when it's used to spend time with family.
    I applaud You SIR.
    Keep up the good will. JMHO.

How often do people or kids get to say they shot a WWII American, British, Russian, French, German, and Japanese rifles all in one day? I always let them keep a spent shell and when I remember I'll bring actual WWII ammo with me and let them keep an unfired WWII example.

As I find other countries examples of WWII weapons I'll add them to the outings.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So am knocking on 50yrs old, been buying guns for most of my adult life. Inherited a few.

Is there a thing as too many guns?

My guns have predominantly been for protection. I will admit I have a few guns that have never been fired, and with ammo in short supply I am limiting my plinking.

In my collection there are only a few I would really go to for when SHTF. My favorite 7.62x39, maybe my second best 5.56, one of my .45s, and one of my 9mm and enough ammo to carry.

What are your thoughts on this? I would be interested in hearing them.

I'm 54 and will be 55 this year, and I'm still buying guns. Some guns I buy because of their history, some to keep Bubba from cutting them up, some because for some reason they spoke to me. Four because I inherited them, two (Will become six) because they are representative of what I carried or our enemy carried during my service.

I'm sure I've got some more excuses tucked away.

I'm at a point where I can enjoy shooting them and at the same time share them with younger people. I'm sure I'll get to the point where I can't and what happens after that is up to CINC Household. She'll either hold on to them, sell them, split them up between the kids, or a combo of all the above.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm 54 and will be 55 this year, and I'm still buying guns. Some guns I buy because of their history, some to keep Bubba from cutting them up, some because for some reason they spoke to me. Four because I inherited them, two (Will become six) because they are representative of what I carried or our enemy carried during my service.

I'm sure I've got some more excuses tucked away.

I'm at a point where I can enjoy shooting them and at the same time share them with younger people. I'm sure I'll get to the point where I can't and what happens after that is up to CINC Household. She'll either hold on to them, sell them, split them up between the kids, or a combo off all the above.

Or, you could divvy them up to the family members you want them to go to when all is said and done. Just my 2 cent.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Or, you could divvy them up to the family members you want them to go to when all is said and done. Just my 2 cent.

Certain firearms (Commercial ones from my dad, me and the wife) are listed in the will to go to each of the 3 kids. The milsurps are what we aren't sure on right now.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So am knocking on 50yrs old, been buying guns for most of my adult life. Inherited a few.

Is there a thing as too many guns?

My guns have predominantly been for protection. I will admit I have a few guns that have never been fired, and with ammo in short supply I am limiting my plinking.

In my collection there are only a few I would really go to for when SHTF. My favorite 7.62x39, maybe my second best 5.56, one of my .45s, and one of my 9mm and enough ammo to carry.

What are your thoughts on this? I would be interested in hearing them.
    I am pushing 60 and I asked myself this same question not long ago. I have all types of guns from cowboy action type pistols to lever action rifles, semi-autos, bolt actions, revolvers, shotguns you name it. I love each and every one of them. It's kinda like they all have a different type personality if you know what I mean. I just enjoy shooting a little bit of everything. If I like a certain gun, I buy it. Never really kept count. If I don't like a certain gun, I pass it along. Looking back there are a couple I had wished I had kept but that is water under the bridge now. I have replaced a few that I missed. I like to say "My guns are me"! If other people like them, cool. If not, it doesn't bother me. Like guns, we are all different. I just know what I like and I learned to keep what I've got and enjoy them. A few have a special purpose but most don't other than enjoyment. Just my thoughts.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't believe there is a thing as too many guns. If I had the money, I would have a lot more than I do now. All of my guns have a purpose and that purpose if for me to use them as I see fit. Whether its plinking, hunting, defense or whatever, I can use them for whatever I want.
    Going back to the question of "too many guns?" I don't think it matters. You have what you enjoy and you enjoy what you have. If you want more of what you enjoy, what's stopping you? Are you going to tell the car collector to stop collecting cars because you think he has enough? Fuck no, go buy another car, dude. As long as it doesn't negatively affect me I don't give a damn.

"You have what you enjoy and you enjoy what you have".

Could not have said it any better!

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People who know me think I've got it all together that I have no problems but deep down inside I'm fighting the urge to buy another gun View attachment 110414

I suffer from gunitis, I can't walk by a gunstore or pawnshop etc, without my wallet getting lighter. Sometimes CINC Household recommends I leave my Gun Allowance at home in the safe. But now with all this Covid crap, I tend to spend my time looking at potential buys online.

So basically I'm like a fat kid with a pocket full of money in a candy store.......speaking of candy gonna get into the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, so yall be good!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think there's a point and time when a person may realize they have too many firearms:
    1. Maybe If you do a Viking funeral or Pharos Tumb you can have them placed with you but that's a stretch. Maybe, someone that really loves you will slip that beloved 1911 in your coffin during the last and final private farewell before the Staff comes to lock the lid and ride to the cemetery.
    2. As you get well into those senior years, where do all those gun go when your gone?
    a. Some folks don't want to burden their surviving spouse.
    b. Some might not have relatives or relatives worth a shit to pass them to. The guns will go somewhere, maybe a gun hater that will have them destroyed.
    c. You could pre-Will gift non essential firearms to friend's and relative's that you know would treasure them. I've done this.
    3. Downsizing, ugh but sometimes needed.
    a. Moving for various reasons (God forbid a anti-gun State) and three gun vaults is just too much. How many guns can you have in an assisted living facility?
    b. Caliber consolidation, maybe ammo availability related, too many mouths to feed. I've done this.
    c. Lost interest in a category or two of your collection. BP, antiques, Military, odd/unusual: sell them for others to enjoy. I've done this
    d. Extended travel plans. Sombody else going to secure & maintain them or you going to pack them in cosmoline/Depot level storage? I've done both.

I think if a person really puts some though into it, they can Identify true firearm essentials as need for themselves and family Unit. Add a firearm (or two) that you really personally treasure (1911A1:)) and those are the "Till death do you part" firearms. Everything else could go if there was a reason to do so.

As you take these steps, another beauty will catch your eye, ignoring the buying itch is difficult. Go touchy feely what you have. Treat new hot guns like much younger women, enjoy looking, try em if you can but don't bring them home, you'll just have to get rid of them sooner or later. Lol

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You make some very good points( if you're needing to downsize give me a call maybe I can help) I buried my father with his favorite pistol and yes it was loaded I even added an extra magazine & his favorite pocket knife... I have four grand boys so I don't have to worry about where my guns are going... one of them just took this squirrel at a measured 115 steps, that is no exaggeration
    20210215_121449.jpg

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    I have slimmed down my collection quite a bit over the last 5 or so years... that said, at a minium everyone should have enough to be happy with and do what you need to do with them. My personal requirements are, 12ga pump gun, lever action of some kind, a 22lr like a 10/22 or pistol, MSR, G19 or equivalent, 1911, Hi Power or other surplus type pistol. Do I have others? Absolutely. Do I need more? Only if its ammo!

Top Bottom