• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 73gunning

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So am knocking on 50yrs old, been buying guns for most of my adult life. Inherited a few.

Is there a thing as too many guns?

My guns have predominantly been for protection. I will admit I have a few guns that have never been fired, and with ammo in short supply I am limiting my plinking.

In my collection there are only a few I would really go to for when SHTF. My favorite 7.62x39, maybe my second best 5.56, one of my .45s, and one of my 9mm and enough ammo to carry.

What are your thoughts on this? I would be interested in hearing them.

Woogie Bear

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't believe there is a thing as too many guns. If I had the money, I would have a lot more than I do now. All of my guns have a purpose and that purpose if for me to use them as I see fit. Whether its plinking, hunting, defense or whatever, I can use them for whatever I want.
    Going back to the question of "too many guns?" I don't think it matters. You have what you enjoy and you enjoy what you have. If you want more of what you enjoy, what's stopping you? Are you going to tell the car collector to stop collecting cars because you think he has enough? Fuck no, go buy another car, dude. As long as it doesn't negatively affect me I don't give a damn.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nope. No such thing as too much ammo either. I'd rather die leaving behind a metric shit ton of ammo, versus dying because I didnt have enough.

For example, when I leave my house I have my Glock19 with 4 spare mags in a bag and one on me.

Also in that bag is my AR pistol with one mag in and 5 spares for it.

Some call me crazy/cautious, but we all have seem what happened this past year.

Doc

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have guns for self protection, I've got milsurps for purpose of collecting. Plus when I have the milsurps at the range I let other people shoot them. This allows them to shoot a WWI, WWII or earlier era weapon, they get a short history lesson (Which most kids today need), and lights a fire of interest in a newer generation of shooters and collectors.

The only person, who thinks I have too many guns sometimes is CINC Household, but she enjoys shooting them also. So in my opinion there isn't too many, as there are many more milsurps on my wish list. I'll be on the hunt for guns until I kick the bucket.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have guns for self protection, I've got milsurps for purpose of collecting. Plus when I have the milsurps at the range I let other people shoot them. This allows them to shoot a WWI, WWII or earlier era weapon, they get a short history lesson (Which most kids today need), and lights a fire of interest in a newer generation of shooters and collectors.

The only person, who thinks I have too many guns sometimes is CINC Household, but she enjoys shooting them also. So in my opinion there isn't too many, as there are many more milsurps on my wish list. I'll be on the hunt for guns until I kick the bucket.
    We have this one guy at local range just like you. He brings his garands, m1 carbine, 1903 and even a grease gun, full auto but rechambered in 9mm. It's fun to shoot for sure.

Doc

73gunning

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree, it is up to the individual.

As I get older I guess my individual view is changing. Hell I sold my motorcycles and my collector cars because I could not stand to watch them just sit there. I have one car left to finish and I may keep it..and then again I may not. Had some heated discussions with the wife over that decision.

In the end was just curious, I too share the philosophy do what you like just don't impact my freedoms.

Appreciate the discussion.

Reactions: FLT

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree, it is up to the individual.

As I get older I guess my individual view is changing. Hell I sold my motorcycles and my collector cars because I could not stand to watch them just sit there. I have one car left to finish and I may keep it..and then again I may not. Had some heated discussions with the wife over that decision.

In the end was just curious, I too share the philosophy do what you like just don't impact my freedoms.

Appreciate the discussion.
    I plan to get rid what I am not shooting and have no potential for my self defense or other use.

Reactions: TAG

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    As already mentioned, 'too many' is something for each individual to determine for himself. While I plan/hope to live a long life while still enjoying my guns, I'm not as young as I used to be (I know, who is?). Anyway, I have no one to pass my holdings to, and my wife wouldn't have a clue about effectively disposing of them, so I've been considering such things as 'too many.'

I started a while back by selling some ARs I never even fired, and continued with lowers I assembled for builds that never happened. I still have the ones I 'need,' so it was no great loss other than the psychological one of letting them go. I also sold some 'excess' ammo that I knew I'd never shoot up. I have no financial need to sell anything, but I'll admit that it was quite an awakening to see just how much money I had tied up in stuff that was just taking up space (and to see just how much more it was worth than when I acquired it). I have more that I haven't fired in a long time, but until the hoarder in me lightens up a bit, I'll hang on to them.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i used to buy guns based on what i liked, what i just wanted to own for myself. now my personal view is one coming from being a prepper. i like to keep my gun preps in accord with my other preps. i prep to be able to field/supply myself and a 4 man fire team. if, God forbid, this world fell apart i want to have a place where i can welcome and shelter others of like mind. and to be prepared for the ones that dont have their own stuff.

as i said, my personal view.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How many guns/ammo/cars.......

The answer you seek is:

"Too many to use at the same time, but not enough."

TAG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    73gunning I was just telling my wife the other day that I regret selling hardware that I have had in the past! I get ill just thinking about my collection and what I had and now thinking about purchasing AGAIN! I am, however, grateful for what I have now, especially ammo. It makes me giggle now that my friends/family who used to make fun of me for going to Walmart every payday for 10 years and purchase a couple of boxes of ammo!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Supplying your neighbors or friends with guns. Hmmmm.

73gunning

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess the genesis of the question came after hours upon hours of watching prepper videos....and many guns and how much ammo could we carry with us if we had to bugout. I guess if I am concerned I could relocate some of my inventory up to my planned hunker down locations. Now I have more to think about.

There have been some really good replies, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom