• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmtoef11b

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had heard that BTs were Teflon Coated lol idk tho I did have a box of them tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Back in the early 90s I bought my first 44mag at the gun show that used to be held at the Elks Lodge on DIP in Mobile it was a S&W 629 Classic. At the time I had a subscription to Shotgun News , in there was an advertisement for Black Talons so I ordered some in 9mm and 44mag. I filled a 55 gallon barrel with water and tried to get a perfect mushroom but as you can see by the pictures I was just waisting ammo, but it proved that this stuff is some nasty ammo. I would hate to see what it would do to a human. Also check out the price I paid back then and that was very expensive in those days.

Attachments

• E5BB1EBF-5B9D-4E22-97BD-5B8845D89EC9.jpeg
      E5BB1EBF-5B9D-4E22-97BD-5B8845D89EC9.jpeg
      41.8 KB · Views: 138
    • 053FB98C-D96A-462D-A3E1-AD03669C9D4C.jpeg
      053FB98C-D96A-462D-A3E1-AD03669C9D4C.jpeg
      37 KB · Views: 139
    • EF99FB68-0E52-45A4-A0AE-9E10D9F32B42.jpeg
      EF99FB68-0E52-45A4-A0AE-9E10D9F32B42.jpeg
      64.2 KB · Views: 135

Jmsemmett

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are Black Talons the brand or the type of ammo? I have a box of Winchester 45ACP Law Enforcement Ranger. I was told years ago these are either talons or “like talons”
    Can someone school me on this?
    ba1bdc78ff72e3b74ee000540f1fced3.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This,just my opinion - - -> the first,origional Black Talon ammo is THE ONLY version that had the reverse tapered jacket.
    Some of the others look similar,but not the same. This is exactly why they are MUCH MORE collectable. The unique packageing also helps.
    CAUTION: I do not google everything before I post it,like a few others do here (isn't it obvious) so this is simply my opinion. ---- SAWMAN

Jmsemmett

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any idea of the value of these Winchester Ranger’s?

Gunin4m

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Right, the SXT was the Black Talon. Then after the outrage they dropped the Black Talon branding and went with SXT branding. Same projectile minus the black coating.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Yes, the Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammunition is not collectable at all. I have some Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement Only ammo that is FMJ hardball.
    IMG_3116.JPG
    fullsizeoutput_5966.jpeg

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had heard that BTs were Teflon Coated lol idk tho I did have a box of them tho

And... When Doctors/Surgeons worked on people shot with Black Talon ammo: the "Talons" cut off their fingers which couldn't be reattached due to the jagged amputation! Next time you see a doctor missing digits, ask about it. [Sarc]

Real world: no more risk than other shrapnel or splintered bone. Drama sways public opinion.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've actually got some .50AE black talons left from back when I had a DEagle...
    If ever another pistol is chambered in .50AE, I'd be interested...
    But those dang DEagles are way too pricey nowadays!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hmmmmm . . . never realized that the Black Talons were offered in 50A&E. I figured that the 50 came after the BT's had come and gone. ---- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I know some don't like reading... but for those who do.

My FIL gave me quite a few boxes of Black Talon in ,45 ACP, it was his agency issued ammo back in the early 90's. I've given most of it away over the years. I need to dig out the boxes I have left to see what's actually written on them.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    OH NO !! GUILTY AS CHARGED !!
    I have been "teflon" coating and "lubalox" coating for many years now. For my purposes I simply call it "moly" coating. ( molybdinum disulfide)
    All my impact plated ammo will speed right through a Abrahams Tank. But it is not AP. ---- SAWMAN

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmmmmm . . . never realized that the Black Talons were offered in 50A&E. I figured that the 50 came after the BT's had come and gone. ---- SAWMAN

1990's were a wonderful time :D

I'd just sold a 1972 Mustang Convertible for more money than a sane person should ever offer...being a typical young guy, went a little nuts on spending...got a 1976 Harley, a Dodge Pickup, and an AMT Automag V...all of which are long gone...lol

Kinda wish I still had the Automags...started a collection, got the II and the V, wanted the III & IV...anyway...
    the II sucked...it was one of those pistols that only worked when totally clean. By the end of a box of 50, you were cleaning it again because it was jamming like no tomorrow, and it only had a 10-rd capacity. The V had a 5-rd mag capacity, so it was akin to a revolver...but heavier.

Anyway, I'd bought a case of BT's for it, and when the Mark VII .50AE DEagle came out, traded up, because 7 rounds is way better than 5. At $1.50 a shot, I made the case last...when I finally sold it, gave the guy two full boxes, but forget about a half-box I'd set aside in the safe.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Still looking for AMT . . 10mm Javalina with the 7" hunting bbl.
    Got a buddy that has one. Hunted hogs with him for 5 years or so. Watched that gun hammer some of the bigger hogs and a couple swamp deer on Eglin. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom