Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

BLACK TALON

Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Fanner50

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick question from the GCGF brain trust. Does Black Talon ammo have any collectability or sell for a premium over other brands of ammo? Just curious. Thanks all.

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
YES,DEFINATELY. I sold some of the "REAL" Black Talon ammo about 8 years ago for $60 for the 20rd box.
At one time I had most all of it. The last to go was the 44 Mag.
The origional "Accelerator" loads were fairly expensive also. IIRC the 30-30 loads were 3400 or so. The 308 and 30-06 were smokin'. ---- SAWMAN

FLT

Reaction score
YES,DEFINATELY. I sold some of the "REAL" Black Talon ammo about 8 years ago for $60 for the 20rd box.
At one time I had most all of it. The last to go was the 44 Mag.
The origional "Accelerator" loads were fairly expensive also. IIRC the 30-30 loads were 3400 or so. The 308 and 30-06 were smokin'. ---- SAWMAN
I had a fondness for the 308 Accelerator, I bought it by the case back in the day. I heard the atf didn’t like and that’s why Remington stopped making it , but I’m not sure if that’s the true story.

Fanner50

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks SAWMAN. I have four boxes of .357 magnum, one box of 9mm, and one box of .45acp. The back story....I was in Uber's one Saturday and noticed that they had some Black Talon in their case. The following Monday driving in to work I heard on the radio that Black Talon had been banned. I worked a couple of hours, took an early lunch, drove over to Uber's and bought all they had with the exception of one box of .357. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol. Now I'm thinking that it's time to sell and was wondering how much it is worth. Yes, this is the Real Black Talon straight from the shelf at Uber's.

Jester896

Reaction score
That stuff is valuable??? I'm down to 2 boxes of .45ACP and been out of 9 :cool:

FrommerStop

Reaction score
I will have to look through my ammo and see if I have any. I thought I had some in .45 ACP, but i am not sure. When one can not remember every single round I have purchased over the last half century, must be dementia.

Duckyou

Reaction score
I will have to look through my ammo and see if I have any. I thought I had some in .45 ACP, but i am not sure. When one can not remember every single round I have purchased over the last half century, must be dementia.
that is a big problem. You should give me you stash and start over. If you start to forget again I will be happy to take additional stuff at no fee. I will even pick it up.

wildrider666

Reaction score
Well, it got the Name and media hype as "Cop Killer" but I don't think a cop was ever shot with it much less died. It was used in a mass shooting and autopsies didn't note anything beyond normal HP type damage. It was misrepresented by media and blasted by the gun control asshats of the day as a Teflon coated bullet and a threat to LE vests at the time. Lawsuits filed and dismissed: worked as advertised! Is old tech Black Talon better than the magic beans sold today? If it was, the FBI would have blessed it for their "return to wonder nines". So preformance wise, I don't see special value.

Like any thing that was available and later Banned new civilian sales but not to possess. some my pay a bit more than original cost to own it. Civs could buy it for about two years, LE could buy it until discontinued in 2000. I think its way to soon to have any significant value increase but W.C. Fields said "A sucker is born ever day." Lol.

Black Talon DNA carried into the SXT and then the PDX1.

Telum Pisces

Reaction score
It's an old bullet design and has trouble opening up with slower velocities. I have a mess ton of the new T-Series. Some people may buy it for nostalgia reasons to collect etc... But people pay way too much money for things sometimes.

Raven

Reaction score
It's an old bullet design and has trouble opening up with slower velocities. I have a mess ton of the new T-Series. Some people may buy it for nostalgia reasons to collect etc... But people pay way too much money for things sometimes.
I bought some in 308 once about 7 or 8 years ago and I jumped on it! Then got it home, opened up the box and it wasn't black anymore, but green with corrosion! Definitely check the condition first if buying for a collection

Raven

Reaction score
I bought some in 308 once about 7 or 8 years ago and I jumped on it! Then got it home, opened up the box and it wasn't black anymore, but green with corrosion! Definitely check the condition first if buying for a collection
Not all green, but spotted. Not any good for accuracy anymore, for sure

wildrider666

Reaction score
Evil when named Black Talon, much nicer as it evolved SXT, Ranger-T, Elite something and PDX1. Name something "Streetsweeper" and you know its gonna catch crap and be restricted. Mfrs need to go with names like Bunny-Fluffer, Kitten-Paws, Feather-Duster, Pest -Reducer or an old favorite Happy Times! I like Karma too!

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
As I remember,what made the BT "special" was the "reverse tapered jacket". The cutaway showed that the bullets jacket was thicker up front than in the rear.
The big part of their downfall was the ER doctors started reporting and showing the bullets that they had removed from the BG's that had a perfectly expanded bullet with its "talons" sticking up high into the air.
My thoughts were . . . !! EFFIN A !! I WANT SOME OF THOSE !!
I got some and for a while,and actually carried them in my official capacity while active duty military. Both in 38Spec and 45ACP. This,on both military AND civilian A/C in the states and overseas.
I had to buy my own to qualify with,train with,and carry. But back then I was drawing $82.50 per dsy PERDIEM so had plenty of "funds" (fun's). --- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Reaction score
The new Ranger T series is in my carry guns right now. The nasty "Talons" still exist and do the damage! They are just redesigned to expand at greater velocity windows and not coated black.

Toggle Sidebar

Latest posts

Sponsors

3rd Coast