• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i agree. im not giving out all that info to some yahoo i dont know. if its gonna be like buying from a store, ill buy from a store. atf cant crack down on shit if your not doing anything illegal. that paper doesnt make a private party gun sale more legal. if im that concerned about it i wont be dealing with the person anyways. the one ive signed before just had my name and the gun make, model and serial number.

It isn't the ATF I am worried about. In general you usually sell to someone you don't know..... You don't know if they are clean etc unless you run a $20-$30 background check online. You can take their word for it but a lot of people lie these days. Like the other part of the forum on here where everyone post about watch out for this person etc. This is just something that forever reason if someone lied and did something bad and someone comes knocking on your door. Hey I sold this I have no knowing of it. Our justice system is extremely crooked to. You, having some document helps out more than just saying this, that and the other.

Anyways take it for what it is worth. Just looking out for y'all.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ya'll worry about "all that info" given to an individual, you are doing the same thing buying a gun at a store and they sometimes hire so pretty weird people. Not just the store but the individuals in the store now have you info...just food for thought. Online your IP address is easily tracked to locate you so by not providing info at time of a sale is really not helping much...This is why the anti gunners are trying to get checks even into private sales.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ya'll worry about "all that info" given to an individual, you are doing the same thing buying a gun at a store and they sometimes hire so pretty weird people. Not just the store but the individuals in the store now have you info...just food for thought. Online your IP address is easily tracked to locate you so by not providing info at time of a sale is really not helping much...This is why the anti gunners are trying to get checks even into private sales.

your right frank. that info is very easy to get and if somebody wants it you cant really stop it, if you buy guns at stores.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

So you don't lock your doors when you leave because if someone wants in they can get in; correct? You don't use a gun safe either because if someone wants into one they can do it. You must also leave the keys in your unlocked car since they can steal it anyway of they want.
    There is quite a bit of difference between needing to give personal info because it's required by law such as when filling out a 4473 and just giving personal information to a random person that serves no purpose other than to give them a false sense of no liability. Signing that paper means squat, if I were a felon I would lie and sign the paper and then if you produced it I would deny signing it and claim that I told you I was a felon or claim that I told you I was a felon and you told me to sign it to cover you. That brings us right back to two people making claims against each other to better our legal situation.
    I do things above board and legal, but there is no such thing as "extralegal" or "more than legal"; it's either legal or it's illegal. You can do more than the legal requirement, but to what end, it doesn't make it more legal.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    A bill of sale is hardly the same as leaving your doors or safe open. A BOS really protects the seller as well as the buyer. You will wish you had one if a gun connected to you is traced to a crime and back to you. Die with out a will? Drive a car w/o a license or insurance? eat w/o swallowing?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A bill of sale is hardly the same as leaving your doors or safe open.

It's not the end of the world the internet would have you believe. I have friends who have had guns they sold later involved in crimes and no bill of sale; a few questions and an affidavit later it was resolved. I've had a gun stolen and later recovered in a crime, I have the gun in my safe right now.
    You can willy nilly give out your personal info all you want, it doesn't affect me. I prefer to only give it out when required by law. Want me to sign a bill of sale, that's fine, I have no issues, it's just the personal info like DL numbers I won't hand out.
    DL numbers as well as copies of DL's are highly sought after among identity thieves due to the info they can access by having it; DOB, SSN, address, physical description. Only have the number makes it slightly more difficult than have a photocopy or an actual DL.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It is easier than you think to get all that personal info anyway but do as you wish, you are evidently smarter than those that ask for a BOS. If you want that Glock I have for sale for $200 you will have to sign a BOS...LOL

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is easier than you think to get all that personal info anyway but do as you wish, you are evidently smarter than those that ask for a BOS. If you want that Glock I have for sale for $200 you will have to sign a BOS...LOL

Frank, the point you are either missing or ignoring is that just because something can be obtained doesn't mean you should just give it to someone.

BTW you also need to take a reading comprehension class because I just said I didn't have an issue signing a BOS, but I wasn't putting any other info like DL on it.

ETA: I can see you selling a High Point for $200, but not a Glock. LOL

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    See Don, I knew we would agree sooner or later. I add the phone address, name, screen name and such to any BOS so I have a record, it really does not need a signature as long as you have a trail to follow, the cops can get the rest of the info.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See Don, I knew we would agree sooner or later. I add the phone address, name, screen name and such to any BOS so I have a record, it really does not need a signature as long as you have a trail to follow, the cops can get the rest of the info.

More than one way to skin a cat. I don't need a bill of sale because I know who I sell to or at least know how we are/were connected. I sold x gun to x person who goes by x screen name on x forum or sold it to this person with this email address and shipped it to this FFL in this state.

Ambien_Doc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive met in person nothing but good people from this forum...I hang out with some, do dinner after a deal, etc. I still get a bill of sale. I even get a bill of sale from my long term friends and family members. I like either this form or something hand written with either a DL# or CCW# on it. I take a photo of his and mine ID on the form and give it to both parties. I don't think there's a whole lot of identity theft you can do with a drivers license number. Just my $0.02...yall can do as you like of course.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    WOW I just really don't have an opinion on this! I have done it every way conceivable, and it just doesn't bother me to or not to do paperwork. I do kind of wish I keep a list for my own benefit, but too late now. It would just be interesting to see what I have had in my collection from the start.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always done a BOS when dealing with rando's off of armslist. Never been a problem for either party. Even the DL#. They have mine, and I have theirs. Neither of us are gonna mess with the other knowing that. This is actually the same BOS I've always used.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and +1 on making this a sticky for those who would like to use it.

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a BOS is good for the buyer if you don't know the Seller.
    I sell you a gun and then report it stolen, naming you as a suspect. I have photos of the gun showing the serial number.
    hmmmmmmmmm ?????

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think a BOS is good for the buyer if you don't know the Seller.
    I sell you a gun and then report it stolen, naming you as a suspect. I have photos of the gun showing the serial number.
    hmmmmmmmmm ?????

This is good. But from a certain standpoint, that is where trust comes into play. Especially here one a smaller forum, where we can decide who and who not to sell too.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've only done BOS for guns that I purchased through an FFL... other than that, I usually don't. If I get a bad vibe, I'd rather just not sell the gun... and I have no problem filling out a BOS, steal my identity if you want... I don't have much. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is good. But from a certain standpoint, that is where trust comes into play. Especially here one a smaller forum, where we can decide who and who not to sell too.

This ^^^ I can't ever see myself selling a fire arm to someone I don't know or at least have mutual friends. So far thats all I've ever done. I don't ever intend on being in a financial bind where I am desperate to sell to just anyone with cash.

Having said that a basic BOS sounds like a plan, even if for just the reason Trader Dan mentioned, personal record. I agree about no DL number but a few data points makes me comfortable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom