• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I'm looking to purchase, (or borrow?) An AR jig.
    Can you reccomend a source or brand?
    Tips, tools or techniques?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    5 D is what was used by someone that I know that has machined out multiple 80% AR receivers using their kits and tooling. His guns work and I can not say more than that.
    I have not done such myself, but I am thinking about it. In the long run a 100% anderson lower is cheaper that comes with a serial number.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree but this is a special build that uses M&P 9mm mags.
    I believe those 5D jigs can work on 80% 9mm AR9 lowers. I know little of the adapters used in these kits for working with one magazine or another. You need to go to their site and see what is what.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I kinda jumped the gun on this lower. I could e wrong but I hope it could be milled with a mil spec jig.
    I will check 5D.

AAO is where I sourced the 80 lower.

Shovel1966

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread about died a month ago. Did you research and see which jigs would work. I finished an 80% 9mm lower by New Frontier Armory. I had to use their jig to complete. I highly doubt that a jig for a mil spec lower would fit anything that would take a different mag. I've also completed an 80% in .45ACP.

Just looking for an update. I still have the jig I used for my 9mm.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I didn't check with the manufacturer. But I did check out 5D. I liked their system better than the others I looked at. My bolt and barrel probably won't be delivered for another month. They said 10 Weeks out (or more).

Shovel1966

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those who have done the research.......Does the 5D jig require "special" tooling that can only be purchased through them? Some jigs I'd seen require milling bits with non-standard or non-commereially available shaft/cutter dimensions. I do like that 5D Tactical has a jig that can mock up any lower for multi caliber applications, but it all comes at a very steep price.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For those who have done the research.......Does the 5D jig require "special" tooling that can only be purchased through them? Some jigs I'd seen require milling bits with non-standard or non-commereially available shaft/cutter dimensions. I do like that 5D Tactical has a jig that can mock up any lower for multi caliber applications, but it all comes at a very steep price.
    The biggest purchase if you do not have it is the router. You must have a router that is compatible with their tooling kits. If you very knowledgeable about tooling you likely could obtain drill bits and milling tools on your own. The smart is probably to buy it all from them. I have not made one yet, but I have looked into it.
    If you are doing an 80% you will not being saving money over buying a 100% Andersen receiver and the only obvious motivation is a desire to do it yourself or to have what they are calling ghost guns.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    OR, perhaps someone is looking to build something unique. Something not on the market. Such as an AR lower that uses M&P magazines. I already have a drill press an routers. And I'm completely fine with law abiding citizens manufacturing their own guns. And just because it's cheaper to purchase a serialized receiver, doesn't make it any less obtrusive to our rights as citizens. Sometimes principal has priority over price. Just sayin'

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OR, perhaps someone is looking to build something unique. Something not on the market. Such as an AR lower that uses M&P magazines. I already have a drill press an routers. And I'm completely fine with law abiding citizens manufacturing their own guns. And just because it's cheaper to purchase a serialized receiver, doesn't make it any less obtrusive to our rights as citizens. Sometimes principal has priority over price. Just sayin'
    The jigs are designed to remove metal that correspond to the geometry of the jig. You order what is needed according to the router that you have.
    I suggest you spend some time looking at the 5D instructional videos to get a better idea of what is going on.

A skilled machinist with a shop could reverse engineer from a receiver of his choice or use blue prints and not need the jigs. The jigs are the easy button.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I thought I contacted the manufacturer, no response.
    I tried again just now. But I seem technically challenged...

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Well, I went back to the manufacturers website. And if you scroll down there is a slew of faqs.
    Good news! They say use any jig designed for a milspec lower! Yay

Shovel1966

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The biggest purchase if you do not have it is the router. You must have a router that is compatible with their tooling kits. If you very knowledgeable about tooling you likely could obtain drill bits and milling tools on your own. The smart is probably to buy it all from them. I have not made one yet, but I have looked into it.
    If you are doing an 80% you will not being saving money over buying a 100% Andersen receiver and the only obvious motivation is a desire to do it yourself or to have what they are calling ghost guns.

I feel that the biggest single purchase as far as expense is the jig. And then the tooling can be very expensive. Especially if it is proprietary to a specific platform or jig system.

I have personally completed well into the dozens of 80% lowers into working firearms. They include 9mm, mil spec, DPMS .308, .45ACP and have used no less than 8 different jigs to include drill press only, and the handheld router method. Have also completed them in Polymer, forged, bullet, 6061, 7075, etc...

A "completed" stripped 80% lower can be way more expensive than a finished Anderson lower when using expensive jugs and tooling. I have finished at least 7 forged and billet lowers using a $75 Porter Cable router and an inexpensive jig (as compared to the 5D).

I would also be willing to answer specific or technical questions concerning completing a lower. I don't want to hijack this thread from 850guns It doesn’t matter if you are an “armchair” builder who has read a lot, but have never done it......or if you have extensive knowledge and experience and just want another opinion. I posed the original question about the 5D jig and required tooling on this thread because I thought it was insane that people would spend several hundred dollars for a jig to complete a lower that you can buy brand new for $65 and requires NO machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you can swing the $ get a small CNC that can cut them out of a billet.

There used to be a specific CNC that would only cut lowers out of billets. May still be around.

Shovel1966

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can swing the $ get a small CNC that can cut them out of a billet.

There used to be a specific CNC that would only cut lowers out of billets. May still be around.

Yes, There have been a few. I believe the most well known is the "Ghost Gunner" CNC machine marketed by Cody Wilson. Unless a private citizen is making countless lowers for himself, I can't justify the added expense of a $300+ jig plus machine tools if someone is only completing a couple lowers.

I have completed lowers both a drill press and/or handheld router from Billet 7075-T6 aircraft grade aluminum in a matter of 3 or 4 hours. And this includes the setup, measurements, etc.

Maybe some people will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and get a couple finished lowers that would cost less than $75 each completed and brand new.

It may sound like I'm playing Devil's Advocate. I have completed close to 40 lowers and at the same time I'm perplexed as to how people can justify spending several "C-notes" when it's not necessary.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, There have been a few. I believe the most well known is the "Ghost Gunner" CNC machine marketed by Cody Wilson. Unless a private citizen is making countless lowers for himself, I can't justify the added expense of a $300+ jig plus machine tools if someone is only completing a couple lowers.

I have completed lowers both a drill press and/or handheld router from Billet 7075-T6 aircraft grade aluminum in a matter of 3 or 4 hours. And this includes the setup, measurements, etc.

Maybe some people will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and get a couple finished lowers that would cost less than $75 each completed and brand new.

It may sound like I'm playing Devil's Advocate. I have completed close to 40 lowers and at the same time I'm perplexed as to how people can justify spending several "C-notes" when it's not necessary.
    As already stated there are two obvious goals here that some use for justification.
    1-The fun of doing it yourself.
    2-Making a ghost gun. That is a legal gun without a serial number. One can make person to person buys, but you could be buying a stolen gun when you do so.

Top Bottom