• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Can't help in your search. But can tell you that you are on the right track towards a gun that you will own the rest of your life.
    I have a M1 Super 90 that I have owned for 25+ years. Shoots anything . . low recoil. Great gun !! --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I want a Semi-automatic tactical/home defense 12 gauge I can trust with my life... kinda like the Glock of shotguns. You guys know.... I want a gun that make you feel like if you run out of ammo all you need is some pebbles and gunpowder cause this gun will shoot anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've owned H&K branded Bene M3 Dual mode (pump/semi-auto) since 1990. I don't know if I can help with your Qs.

Dual mode? Time for me to do some research never heard of it.. are the benelli shotguns really that far ahead of all their competition that they are bounds and leaps better?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It has a Action Selector ring with protrusions at 3 & 9 o'clock at the front of the forend. Using your thumb, you slightly turn the ring and it releases (forend slides back 1/4 inch +-) the lock and you can then cycle it like a Pump Action. You don't need to hold the ring while in Pump action. Turn ring again move forend slight forward and release: your locked back in semi-auto. Smooth, positive and FAST transition.

Pump action mode is primarily for low power sub-munitions same as light Trap/Field loads but you can "pump action" any proper chamber shell. If you have a dud shell you can clear it without grabbing for the bolt handle. If semi-auto cycling fails, your still in business. Mine is 2 3/4 chamber only: seven in the tube, one in the chamber AND one on the carrier/elevator. Rifled sights, full pistol grip stock. Never tried "Mini shell".

It's important to understand Benelli inertia drive system verse a gas system. Its been a long time since I've read the pros/cons. Con arguements didn't hold water as far as I was concerned. Who's gonna put the butt against a wall and fire it, not allowing recoil/enertia cycling? Lol.

The M4s are "gas driven" due to a USMC spec (they want to be able to put (weight) accessories on the M4). Too much weight changes total weight the inertia system was designed to function with: it creates a similar condition to low power loads with not enough juice to cycle (the system/gun weight). The M4 is also advertised as self regulating (okay) and "self cleaning gas pistons". Where were we told a gun was self cleaning before? Hmmm.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    For dependability, you can choose a number of pump guns that will last a lifetime. I have benellis, franchis, remingtons, mossbergs, and more - every semi auto has some issues sometimes. I only have JD a major issue with one pump - an off brand 20 gauge. My mossberg has literally been dragged in the mud and washed out in the river, and still shot ducks all day long.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    It has a Action Selector ring with protrusions at 3 & 9 o'clock at the front of the forend. Using your thumb, you slightly turn the ring and it releases (forend slides back 1/4 inch +-) the lock and you can then cycle it like a Pump Action. You don't need to hold the ring while in Pump action. Turn ring again move forend slight forward and release: your locked back in semi-auto. Smooth, positive and FAST transition.

Pump action mode is primarily for low power sub-munitions same as light Trap/Field loads but you can "pump action" any proper chamber shell. If you have a dud shell you can clear it without grabbing for the bolt handle. If semi-auto cycling fails, your still in business. Mine is 2 3/4 chamber only: seven in the tube, one in the chamber AND one on the carrier/elevator. Rifled sights, full pistol grip stock. Never tried "Mini shell".

It's important to understand Benelli inertia drive system verse a gas system. Its been a long time since I've read the pros/cons. Con arguements didn't hold water as far as I was concerned. Who's gonna put the butt against a wall and fire it, not allowing recoil/enertia cycling? Lol.

The M4s are "gas driven" due to a USMC spec (they want to be able to put (weight) accessories on the M4). Too much weight changes total weight the inertia system was designed to function with: it creates a similar condition to low power loads with not enough juice to cycle (the system/gun weight). The M4 is also advertised as self regulating (okay) and "self cleaning gas pistons". Where were we told a gun was self cleaning before? Hmmm.

Good info but, it still seems like there is a strong case to just go all pump action?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I can throw my Benelli to my shoulder and dump all 7+1 in about 3 seconds. My gun will fire just as fast as you can pull the trigger. No gass - -> inertia driven. (Chrome bore,chrome chamber,chrone bolt head. Not much to get dirty.)
    It will do this with 2.75" dove and quail 7.5 or 8 shot . . OR . . 3" mag #4 buck.
    Pre,during,and post Katrina me and a buddy stood guard inside another friends buisness. I borrowed my buddys 14" entry bbl for my otherwise 18.5" Benelli. We challenged both looters and police with these guns. This,off the stairwell and balcony on the second floor of a 3 story concrete building.
    We were prepared to guard this building and buisness with our lives and the looters quickly understood this. So did the police. But for the most part they were too busy looting and stealing cars to worry about us.
    We had 300rds of 3" #2 shot and #4 buck between us. And,of course,our Benelli's. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I can throw my Benelli to my shoulder and dump all 7+1 in about 3 seconds. My gun will fire just as fast as you can pull the trigger. No gass - -> inertia driven. (Chrome bore,chrome chamber,chrone bolt head. Not much to get dirty.)
    It will do this with 2.75" dove and quail 7.5 or 8 shot . . OR . . 3" mag #4 buck.
    Pre,during,and post Katrina me and a buddy stood guard inside another friends buisness. I borrowed my buddys 14" entry bbl for my otherwise 18.5" Benelli. We challenged both looters and police with these guns. This,off the stairwell and balcony on the second floor of a 3 story concrete building.
    We were prepared to guard this building and buisness with our lives and the looters quickly understood this. So did the police. But for the most part they were too busy looting and stealing cars to worry about us.
    We had 300rds of 3" #2 shot and #4 buck between us. And,of course,our Benelli's. --- SAWMAN

Hmmmm..... Food for thought!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Sawman, what model Benelli would you say is best for home defense/combat? Am I just off target with the M4?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I didnt have the M3, I'd go back to a Rem 870P. I've put thousands of rounds through them and like the safety location much better (can't bite Lol). Pumps rarely get worn out from use. Buy a good brand (Rem, Mossy, Bene) Do a function check, look for barrel bulges then if appearance is okay for you: lay your money down. Defense gun: Improved cyclinder barrel/choke. Interchangeable chokes or a slug barrel are totally unnecessary, don't waste your money. Work a pump action like you mean it and they will run and you won't short stroke it.

There's a nice 870 Tactical listed but its over the State line.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If I didnt have the M3, I'd go back to a Rem 870P. I've put thousands of rounds through them and like the safety location much better (can't bite Lol). Pumps rarely get worn out from use. Buy a good brand (Rem, Mossy, Bene) Do a function check, look for barrel bulges then if appearance is okay for you: lay your money down. Defense gun: Improved cyclinder barrel/choke. Interchangeable chokes or a slug barrel are totally unnecessary, don't waste your money. Work a pump action like you mean it and they will run and you won't short stroke it.

I know! If it wasn’t in AL I’d give him his asking price just to have it in the safe... It seems like a good deal.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Part of it is just the benelli brand I like.... sounds like you like your M3

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot the M3 for a about two years then sold an 1100 and a 870P. I was still using/teaching the 870 at work. I had quit chasing waterfoul by then but I used the M3 for pheasant & chucker. Not ideal but it did the job within the limits of the IC barrel. Took a big chunk of dowel rod to make a mag limit plug allowing only one shell in the tube.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is fairly easy to slick up a pump gun of quality. A 870 seems easier than a 500. My Moss Shockwave 590 cleaned up nicely. BUT . . . you still gotta stroke 'em. I used Ithaca 37 at one point that was the slickest gun I had ever used. But it had a ga-zillion rds thru it. I have witnessed quite a bit of short-strokeing during stressful situations. But more reliable with the proper training . . . YES.
    I would reccomend for HD/SD,a cyl bore ONLY. Using the proper load,if you have to shoot anybody farther out than the gun will reach,your most likely going to jail anyway.
    NEVER,EVER,use slugs in a shotgun. That is precisely why they are called SHOTguns.
    If you find yourself in need of a slug . . grab a 45-70. ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As long as you have a slug appropriate barrel (smooth or rifled) with little or no constricting (choke: cyclinder, skeet or improved cyclinder: barrel/accessory type), there are no problems shooting slugs. Follow shotgun/barrel/shell manufactures guidance. There are three basic types of slugs and you should match the best type for your shotgun application. It's only tighter constricting barrels/chokes that are dangerous with slugs. You will see numerous examples of people on the Web doing stupid things with slugs and more constricting chokes.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    As long as you have a slug appropriate barrel (smooth or rifled) with little or no constricting (choke: cyclinder, skeet or improved cyclinder: barrel/accessory type), there are no problems shooting slugs. Follow shotgun/barrel/shell manufactures guidance. There are three basic types of slugs and you should match the best type for your shotgun application. It's only tighter constricting barrels/chokes that are dangerous with slugs. You will see numerous examples of people on the Web doing stupid things with slugs and more constricting chokes.

I’m not super knowledgeable about chokes but, my understanding is that the purpose of a choke is to change the pattern of the shot for your desired results. Is it not? Why would anyone choke a slug rather than having a appropriate slug capable barrel (rifled or not). I’ll be honest here and say that I’ve never owned or used a shotgun with chokes... they worry me because I’m not familiar with them or comfortable using them yet...

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, chokes will produce different size shot patterns at given distance.
    Two sets of folks might shoot a slug through a tight choked barrel: the uninformed and the "hold my beer"/youtub crowd. The vids on YT have all been with single shots to "see what happens" then when it doesn't kaboom: they say it can be done while the slightly smarter ones say don't try this at home!

I think your inferring a shotgun with "interchangeable chokes". All modern shotguns have chamber, shell length(s) and "choke" listed on the barrel.

Choke type vs distance= pattern. Info at Link.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom