Patriot Mobile

AR cycles brass but not steel. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    About 15 years ago I got a deal on 2k rounds of steel cased 223 ammo. I jumped on it only to find that the dpms rifle I had at the time wouldn't eject it. This stuff was accurate, just had to pound every other case out with a cleaning rod. Friend of mine took my rifle home, polished the chamber and put a new extractor and spring on the bcg and never had another problem.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have ARs that will run on steel and several that won't (depending on the load).

To me the 62gr Wolf has been the most problematic.

While I agree that Steel is not ideal, for a short range training rifle, running steel can save you a lot of money (and it has saved me money).

With that being said, in all my mid-to-higher tier ARs, I usually try 10 rounds of steel just to know that they work with it (all but 2 do), then they never see it again. I have one AR that gets it regularly (because I have a bunch cheap) but it is what it is. Cheap training ammo / Rifle.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I wonder if lack of lube might be the problem or like what another suggested a very tight chamber? FWIW, I had a M&P-15 Sport and my 90's vintage Bushmaster Patrol rifle both run wolf steel cased like a champ with zero issues. That being said I run my AR's "wet" with a home brew 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil & Mobil 1 10w-30. Good luck!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I wonder if lack of lube might be the problem or like what another suggested a very tight chamber? FWIW, I had a M&P-15 Sport and my 90's vintage Bushmaster Patrol rifle both run wolf steel cased like a champ with zero issues. That being said I run my AR's "wet" with a home brew 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil & Mobil 1 10w-30. Good luck!
    Always soaking wet, yessir! With an AR, that's the secret

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Both PSA barrels I've bought had to go back once. Steel would get stuck a lot, very rarely brass. I assumed chamber issue. They never really told me what the issue was.
    Cycled steel perfect after that

LordPorter1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hornady makes match steel case it’s not cheap and I shoot it out of my AR10s and AR15s I have multiple rifles in each and the only steel cased ammo problems I have ever had was Tula, it is garbage. I shoot cambers in match, .223, and 5.56 and never had a problem other than lite firing pin strikes due to my Timney triggers (take it from me, don’t go under 4lbs or things like this happen to cheap ammo especially machine gun primered steel cases) I would say if you didn’t clean the chamber well with something like break free or ammonia based solvent do that first, if it’s Tula ammo change that out and if it happens with other steel brands (tiger, wolf, barnal, bear) I think PSA needs to replace your barrel. Dont listen to the steel haters if your gun can’t run steel than it’s a chamber problem it’s not a gun problem. I have ran buckets of steel cased ammo and my guns take it fine. If you aren’t leaving oil or solvent in your chamber which could also cause this issue I think it’s the tolerance with the PSA barrel causing it personally.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    +1 for Mobil 1. I lube everything even a few drops in the star chamber. I would bet most gun problems other than the mags like stuck cases, broken extractors, bad reviews come from people running a machine dry or using relabled stuff and calling it gun oil. The idea of polishing a chamber and good viscous oil is to reduce friction.

I dont want to start a debate about over lubing, oil not compressing, headspace blah blah lol Ill just leave this here.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    has to be in the componets used as to why it acts up...I have never had an issue with steel ammo in any AR. So only 1 of your AR's acts up with steel it has to be the components, maybe tighter than normal?

camuchi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Polish the chamber.
    I have a dpms AR10 that stuck a wolf steelcase and i believe it was the lacquer issue.

Would love to shoot the gun more but brass 308 or 7.62 is too much$$$

What is the best way to polish the chamber? dremel with brass brush?

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    New factory assembled complete Geissele upper and lower and you're back in business, or stick to brass.
    (Tongue N cheek comment. Not helpful in sure)
    Hope one of these smart guys on here can figure it out for you.

RickG

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow all the hate on steel here.

- Yes brass is a better material
    - But it also drive up the price of the round up by as much as 30%
    - Works fine in 100% of my ARs
    - If you have flaws in your chamber it will bring them out though.

Also OP stateted he shoots "Steel"?
    Which kind?
    There are different manufacturers and they run the gamut just like the brass manufacturers.
    "Steel" is not its own brand.

In past few years shot nearly 50,000 rounds of Wolf Military Classic 62 gr in both FMJ and HP and I cant remember a single malfunction in my LWRC M6A2 and my Sig516 and my BCM.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    I have a dpms AR10 that stuck a wolf steelcase and i believe it was the lacquer issue.

Would love to shoot the gun more but brass 308 or 7.62 is too much$$$

What is the best way to polish the chamber? dremel with brass brush?
    Im not a gunsmith so dont follow my advice :) just a Bubba. I use a drill, one length of cleaning rod section, copper brush wrapped in fine steel wool (enough that still fits) and some polish or even oil.

Jrfowl12

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So I've found that steel will not run in my pistol builds very well but seems to run decent in my rifle builds. Only variable in my case is the barrel length. Main thing that shorter barrels affect is powder burn (among other things) Powder burn affects pressures/gassing. Under gassing problems can definitely affect extraction. Especially on steel case stuff. Steel expands in the chamber more than bass and makes it harder to be pulled. Under gassed BCG will struggle to extract it. If it's ripping the lip off the case there is very little that can stop that. The case has over expanded in the chamber and the lip is weak. In my experience it's one of two problems, either under gassed BCG, a weak case that rips or both.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been told from reliable sources that brass is a more flexible metal than steel, and when brass expands to the chamber walls it will flex back slightly and release better than the less flexible steel. The steel remains in a more expanded state than the brass and depending on your chamber specs it can stick.

flrrb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The problem is with your designation. Replace the "R" with a "K" and the "15" with a "47" and you will never have that problem again. Steel case will feed reliably all day long.

Top Bottom