Target Sports

AR cycles brass but not steel. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Recently built a 16" carbine with a PSA barrel, carbine length gas system. and BCM A5 buffer. The rifle shoots, cycles, and ejects brass consistent and perfect, but tears case heads off steel. Any idea why this might be? The steel case gets hella stuck in the chamber and has to be pounded out muzzle end with a cleaning rod and hammer.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    while i agree with every respondant above, they didnt really answer your question, did they?

are you starting with a clean weapon? are you mixing brass and steel?
    His issue is not uncommon. Many guys who have shot steel-cased ammo in their AR have had that same issue. Steel-cased ammo was NEVER meant to be used in an AR, but guys will buy it because it is cheap ammo. There are always problems associated with cheap ammo.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    His issue is not uncommon. Many guys who have shot steel-cased ammo in their AR have had that same issue. Steel-cased ammo was NEVER meant to be used in an AR, but guys will buy it because it is cheap ammo. There are always problems associated with cheap ammo.
    very very true. but in the past, when i shot what i could afford, i would shoot steel cased ammo. i always started out with a clean and well lubed weapon and NEVER mixed brass and steel cased ammo. i cant recall too many problems as long as i followed those simple habits. nowadays i can afford better and have purged the steel from my 5.56 stocks.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My AR cycles steel casings w/o a hiccup, but then again, I don't run lacquered ammo thru it.
    I'm thinking your problem is the manufacturer. Some, like russian ammo is caked with lacquer to prevent rust, but it can wreak havoc on case ejection. Seems like the more it heats up, the stickier it gets.
    The more you shoot, the more lacquer builds up in the chamber preventing proper ejection.
    If your ammo casings are not 1 solid color, but 2-tone, it's coated with lacquer. You'll need to clean off the lacquer and your chamber good, and frequently if using lacquered ammo.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I've shot steel in everything I own, never seen any sort of unhealthy or unexpected wear. This would be the first AR I've shot that doesn't run it.

Anyways, chamber is clean and smooth. I do tend to keep my rifles clean but not overly wet for range day. This steel isn't lacquered but may have the poly coat (it's Wolf but doesn't have any coating printed on the package). I am leaning towards it being this an ammo specific issue as I have read of other recent Wolf complaints. Or perhaps the rifle may have a slightly out of spec chamber that doesn't leave room for expanded steel cases, but softer brass can squeeze out.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Some AR’s just don’t like factory steel case 223. I have one. However, it functions with my steel case reloads perfectly. I did notice that after tumbling clean, the steel cases feel smoother than when new, so I suspect it’s something to do the coating on the steel from the factory.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I built this specifically around a Vltor upper and rail system, but I will definitely try a BCA in the future for a fun plinker. I'll try polishing the chamber more and try other brands of ammo.

Attachments

• 20220903_162833.jpg
      20220903_162833.jpg
      443.6 KB · Views: 53

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I suggest just buy a bolt or complete BCG from BCA and give it a try before doing anything to the chamber. They also have a great enhanced firing pin specifically for steel cased x39.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I suggest just buy a bolt or complete BCG from BCA and give it a try before doing anything to the chamber. They also have a great enhanced firing pin specifically for steel cased x39.
    I'm running a Griffin Armament BCG that has a pretty decent round count from another rifle, so I know the bolt runs well. No issues with striking either, the rounds definitely fire before they get stuck haha

Top Bottom