• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6.8 SPC with 120 gr SST is about 2560ish FPS is giving great accuracy.

6.5G with 123gr SST is about 2540ish FPS is giving great accuracy.

I've gotten great accuracy with little load development so I've never chased velocity with either cartridge. I'm sure there's room for a little more speed for those so interested.

When hunting coyote or hogs, I won't shoot at anything past 400 yards, with under 200 being the norm. Therefore the accuracy is more important for me vs. speed. Deer, I won't shoot past 300 yards. with almost all my shots being well under 100 yards. I've only killed two deer at 300/350 yards and they were both "now or never" shots.
    Exactly my thinking, but for now I will stick with 100 wt for the Grendel since that is the wt of the 30 cents per round wolf ammo that I am using as range ammo. I see the price is up to 40 cents a round now.
    Jun 26, 2019 - $199.75 - ‎In stock

I do not hunt so much any more and maximum shot on my little estate is two hundred yards, but if things ever go bad shots to 400 might be legally and morally defensible.

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone ever buy an aero precision build set? Would have loved to have gotten the OD green or the patriotic themed ones in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Within your parameters,if it were me,I would build up a 20" 6.8SPCII AR using a good quality bbl.
    Several here have been shooting this somewhat "unknown" chambering for years (incliding me,I have 3) and it will do anything and everything,at any distance that you will be shooting deer and/or hogs at.
    Factory ammo is available,but reloading gives you many more options as to bullet weight and terminal ballistics. ---- SAWMAN

DonBow

King of Battle
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I recently just finished a complete Aero 308 build it was a little cheaper than buying a complete Aero rifle.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Consider also . . . a complete upper . . . then build a lower.
    Remember,the weak point to all AR's are the scope and trigger. Even so with a target and/or hunting gun. You must budget for both. A good set of rings,bases,mounts will run another 1C$'s or so. ---- SAWMAN

Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was told recently there is a $200 tax on a manufactured AR making it cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately. This may be just for smaller manufacturers.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was told recently there is a $200 tax on a manufactured AR making it cheaper to buy the upper and lower separately. This may be just for smaller manufacturers.
    No fee required for a private individual that is not licensed to manufacture for non-NFA guns or items. You can make a gun and as long as it does not fall under the NFA.

Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    No fee required for a private individual that is not licensed to manufacture for non-NFA guns or items. You can make a gun and as long as it does not fall under the NFA.
    Correct. It is my understanding the reason it is cheaper to buy an upper and a lower separate is because of the fee (tax) as opposed to purchasing the gun in whole.

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Within your parameters,if it were me,I would build up a 20" 6.8SPCII AR using a good quality bbl.
    Several here have been shooting this somewhat "unknown" chambering for years (incliding me,I have 3) and it will do anything and everything,at any distance that you will be shooting deer and/or hogs at.
    Factory ammo is available,but reloading gives you many more options as to bullet weight and terminal ballistics. ---- SAWMAN

I appreciate that advice! One reason I lean towards .308 is because I have other rifles in that caliber. Figured it’s better to have same rifles so I don’t have to have 3-4 different ammo types.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Sounds to me like someone "told" you something, and was referring to a SBR (short barreled rifle), or some other NFA item.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct. It is my understanding the reason it is cheaper to buy an upper and a lower separate is because of the fee (tax) as opposed to purchasing the gun in whole.
    No. It might cost more to purchase separately. We are assuming that both the lower and the upper are completely assembled.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I appreciate that advice! One reason I lean towards .308 is because I have other rifles in that caliber. Figured it’s better to have same rifles so I don’t have to have 3-4 different ammo types.

Lots of people try all types of different calibers - but .308 is one of the best all around loads, has ammo options from cheap to outrageous, and has more data than just about any other ammo.

You would not go wrong.

That said - I desperately need a 6.5 creedmoor AR style rifle...

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

This is under appreciated. I used to have all sorts of random calibers in my collection. Ex wife took care of that, but as I rebuild, I'm trying to limit myself to just 7 or 8 different calibers. :)

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone know which hand guards are compatible with the aero upper and lowers?

I am looking at a combo upper and lower, and would like to add handguard. This would be OD green. Not sure on ordering since I don’t know what is compatible.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just tried to build a couple of AR-10 s for around 800 have had all kinds of problem's with some of the cheaper parts out there., barrels ,buffers, Springs, hammers, trigger,s,bolts.gas rings. was tiering to build A 6.5 amd a couple for 308,s in 24-in ss barrels. Used Areo upper and lowers, stocks, and some other areo parts one was they areo upper with they upper that you had to use they HG. Have end up putting and other 3 to 400. in to them. so you better ready to spend about 1200 If you cancome out for under this you are a head, This why when I see some saleing . one they built for under 1000. and saying they have had no problems I question this and have only fired one box in it. If they used good parts. I have fired over 500. rds of 308 in 4 different rifles over 100 rds of 6.5c in one. Have spoke to Areo a lot on problems and a couple others, on the cheaper parts can't get any of the them to return a call are e-mail. just my 5 cents jj

RevFisch

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just tried to build a couple of AR-10 s for around 800 have had all kinds of problem's with some of the cheaper parts out there., barrels ,buffers, Springs, hammers, trigger,s,bolts.gas rings. was tiering to build A 6.5 amd a couple for 308,s in 24-in ss barrels. Used Areo upper and lowers, stocks, and some other areo parts one was they areo upper with they upper that you had to use they HG. Have end up putting and other 3 to 400. in to them. so you better ready to spend about 1200 If you cancome out for under this you are a head, This why when I see some saleing . one they built for under 1000. and saying they have had no problems I question this and have only fired one box in it. If they used good parts. I have fired over 500. rds of 308 in 4 different rifles over 100 rds of 6.5c in one. Have spoke to Areo a lot on problems and a couple others, on the cheaper parts can't get any of the them to return a call are e-mail. just my 5 cents jj

Thanks for the info. I am using mostly Aero parts

Top Bottom