• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Curious about the process. It occurred to me that I'm mostly interested in firearms that fit the C&R characteristic. I usually don't buy online because I don't like dealing with FFLs and their fees. Are the benefits worth the hassle of getting the license?

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    After you get it ,you just have to keep a log book of purchases and sales .
    And you are subject to Inspection by BATF

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had one. There is a little paperwork on the application. Not too expensive...if you use it. I ordered a P08 from Minnesota, and it came to the house with no problem. Ironically, I tried to use it at that little store on 98 between Elberta and Foley and the salesman apparently wasn't too clear how it worked and I was unable to make the purchase. I believe he was more concerned with sending the pistol to a FFL in FLA and negating any benefits of the C&R. There has been a couple of times I used the permit as a bargaining chip in a private purchase, where I showed the seller I was an honest flag waving citizen and he would suffer no consequence by making me the happy owner of some little jewel.
    If you get one, remember to keep the original unsigned and make copies for any transactions. ATF will send a ream of pamphlets and CDs concerning laws, regulations, etc. They will be quick to remind you it is not a FFL, and only a permit concerned with your purchase of certain firearms. If I remember correctly, the afore mentioned log is mainly for weapons that you sell from your C&R, not necessarily for the ones you purchase...Still, keep normal records.

You might be interested in The Garand Collectors Association (gca.org.) This makes you eligible to purchase from the CMP.

73gunning

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did have one a few years back, I too let it expire. My initial interest was being able to do my own buying of guns 50 years old or older...and boy there are a ton of great guns that are older than 50 years. The process was fairly simple. They provide all the instructions to keep and maintain your license. If I ever hit it big and can afford more older guns I may do it again.

RustedBolt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As seems to be the consensus here, I had one--when I had a severe M1 fetish going on. I bought guns from the CMP forum that were not offered by CMP (particular makers, or years, or configurations). But I also bought guns I later ditched as uninteresting, because at the time the C&R made it easy. The log books are pretty simple, but to be honest, unless you are buying more than 2 or 3 guns a year, it is not worth it. And if you sell something, you need to be careful not to make a significant profit and/or do it too often, lest you be seen as a dealer exploiting a C&R. Worth it if you are truly a C&R collector (not reseller)... and if you do, "Stay in your lane Bro."

Top Bottom