Target Sports

Any law enforcement here? State, Federal, County, City ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    HayesGreener,
    I will second what FrommerStop said, excellent post sir !
    And thanks for your law enforcement career, much appreciated.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am retired from 42 years LE in two agencies, one municipal and one federal. I swore to support and defend the Constitution and still stand by that oath. I would never support general confiscation of firearms, nor would 99% of my colleagues. As the late Charles Krauthammer said, an attempt to confiscate firearms in the U.S. would lead to insurrection. I also know Sheriff Johnson and he takes a strong stand for the 2nd Amendment.

The whole idea of confiscation and buybacks is ludicrous. It is based upon the wrong-headed belief that it is the instrument of the crime that is to blame, and ignores the need for personal accountability in deviant behavior. It is in all our best interest to see that violent people, and mentally ill people, do not have access to firearms, but that requires us to focus on the deviant individual, not the guns themselves. It is already a crime for felons, mentally ill, drug and alcohol dependent, and certain violent misdemeanants to possess firearms, but the Feds are not consistently prosecuting those violations.

I have researched, and conducted many training sessions on active shooter/mass killing incidents. In almost every instance, there were plenty of warning signs that the perpetrators were unstable and likely to become homicidal. It should be pointed out that in the Mary Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Broward, local law enforcement had multiple opportunities long before the shooting to arrest and charge that guy with violent crimes, but failed to do so in some misguided effort to reduce the number of young people in the system. He ls had obvious mental issues, and his own family believed he might become a mass killer, even warning authorities about him. Had he been charged previously as he should have been, he would not have been able to buy the gun that he used. Granted he may have been able to get a gun by other illegal means, but the law already existed to keep him from getting that gun legally in the first place.

"Mandatory buybacks" is not a buyback-it is a thinly disguised confiscation. And it can only be enforced if there is mandatory registration. I can't see either of those passing Constitutional muster.

I believe the way the Obiden admin will attack guns is through legislation that allows federal product liability suits against manufacturers and distributors; using commerce laws banning importation, manufacture, transport, and sale of certain types of weapons, ammo, and accessories; requiring NICS backgrounds for all firearm transfers; and increasing the types of firearms that require licensing. Perhaps the most onerous wolf in sheep's clothing would be a universal requirement for firearm registration, because that is the first step toward confiscation.

Read Texas Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee's house bill in the U.S. House, and Florida State Senator Farmer's bill in the Florida Senate to get a feel for the aspirations the left has as related to your firearms. Our gun rights are perhaps more vulnerable right now due to the current political landscape, and the fact that NRA seems to be in shambles. On the plus side, we have a huge number of new, first time gun owners who are motivated by a general anxiety over what disorder and turmoil lies ahead. I also believe there will be a myriad of constitutional challenges that will slow progress but it is going to be crucial for conservatives to regain control of both houses in 2022.

everything he said^^^

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would be a bad time to be a cop or military. Your civilian and military/dept higher ups will have to pick a side. That will filter down to the lower ranked military and patrol cops. At this point they will have to choose sides also.
    THIS - -> with either/or no pay and/or prison time hanging in the ballence. These lower ranking military members and lower patrol cops have bills to pay and families to feed also.
    If these enforcers live local,and pick the wrong side,the locals will weed them out and retaliate.
    Hopefully it will not come down to this. If it does - - -> TOUGH DECISSION AHEAD !! --- SAWMAN

Yes, tough times ahead. Holding a job and pay/benefits over their heads will be very troubling and stressful. There will be some seriously hard choices to make if/when we reach the breaking point. Imagine being placed in the predicament of having to walk away from pay/benefits/stature, watching the suffering of your family, and then basically having to live off of what you have on hand, or donations, while you stand up for someone else's rights. Tough choices for sure.

nrajeeper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe it's just unseen or unreported but i dont see LEO refusing to enforce gun laws in those municipalities that have confiscatory laws or even refuse to enforce red flag laws here in FL.

as others have mentioned, the guns wont be banned but actually using one will be difficult due to taxes...

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes, tough times ahead. Holding a job and pay/benefits over their heads will be very troubling and stressful. There will be some seriously hard choices to make if/when we reach the breaking point. Imagine being placed in the predicament of having to walk away from pay/benefits/stature, watching the suffering of your family, and then basically having to live off of what you have on hand, or donations, while you stand up for someone else's rights. Tough choices for sure.

You have clearly laid out the situation. I am glad I do not have to make that choice. I imagine many in their hearts will want to defend the Constitution and uphold their oaths but how can they watch their families suffer? Many are financially weak. In the end, without enthusiasm, many will trade rights and the Constitution for money. I place no judgement on them. I hope I am wrong.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Retired (second carreer). I read other comments here and see wiggle in political, ethical and character "commitment". Won't enforce "unconstitutional" laws: per who's Interpetation? Is it the strict interpretation of the 2A, Shall not be infringed? So they will not enforce older machine gun and silencerLaws? They have infringed and are being enforced ever day; Red Flag Orders are a prime example. I haven't read of a single Red Flag Order that was refused to be executed in Fl or anywhere else where it's the Law of the Land. The NFA, GCA, and AWB are all examples of Constutional Laws. Does a lawsuit need to be filed on the constitutionality of the law to ignore it? Too much tap dancing when put in the spotlight.

Even when we forcast our best intentions, situations on the ground and in the moment will drive the response. These verbal gestures carry the approximately the same weight as "2A Sanctuary Zones". A prudent person would expect the laws to be enforced a they rise to an Officers attention and not the impossibility of a house to house searches. You must also realize that social media "evidence" has been used as justification for Search Warrants, We laffed at felon thuggy, pimp posing with his gun and getting busted for felon in possession of a firearm. So what proud gun photos have you posted? Doesn't the gov/LE feed media "examples" of physical demonstrations their crime busting prowess as for the purpose of deterrence? We've all seen those "weapons caches" photos and vids.

As a civilian, I've been contacted by ATF regarding a "Private message" I sent using FGT's messaging system to a Seller. Since ATF contacted me, it likely they had a Warrant to collect communications information from/to the Seller. ATF is using Webb gun sites as an investigative and monitoring tool and that shouldn't suprise anyone. Now, I haven't heard of any LE paying a visit to anyone who had posted a pic of their bump stock prior to getting rid of it, but they could if they wanted to. Seems BFS are only referenced as collateral violations of a bigger bust.

I just hope we don't get to the point of registrations, bans and confiscations while relying on Officer discretion not to take action.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You have clearly laid out the situation. I am glad I do not have to make that choice. I imagine many in their hearts will want to defend the Constitution and uphold their oaths but how can they watch their families suffer? Many are financially weak. In the end, without enthusiasm, many will trade rights and the Constitution for money. I place no judgement on them. I hope I am wrong.

If I'm completely honest with myself, society has become polarized to the point where the extremes of each side are set in stone, and the middle ground is being slowly squeezed into aligning themselves with one side or another. Once the alignment is complete it'll be ,if you aren't for us, you're against us. I see that already in forum comments and the words of people I encounter. Anyone wishing to change sides after the fact will be a suspected traitor until they prove otherwise through sufficient/consistent actions, as will those who choose to remain neutral.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They wont need to confiscate guns. You wont be able to shoot them, they will lay away and rust. Our children are being brain washed by the schools. They wont want anything to do with guns, poof, the government just won.

Doc

Jrose

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Everyone is talking about future legislation against the 2nd ammendment, but what about the legislation now? Shall not be infringed means no gun laws. Zero. Yet there are thousands between state and federal and America just let it happen. Pardon me if I have little faith. Even trump banned bump stocks and people like former seal Crenshaw was for unconstitutional red flag laws. Something tells me most Americans will play along as usual and we will fall further down the slope. Hope I’m wrong, but the data says otherwise. Those of us who actually refuse will be made out to be fringe lunatics.

Jrose

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    And FYI for those who say bump stocks are stupid. It’s not about the bumpstocks, it’s about blaming an inanimate object. The precedent set when he banned those was dangerous.

Jrose

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    If I'm completely honest with myself, society has become polarized to the point where the extremes of each side are set in stone, and the middle ground is being slowly squeezed into aligning themselves with one side or another. Once the alignment is complete it'll be ,if you aren't for us, you're against us. I see that already in forum comments and the words of people I encounter. Anyone wishing to change sides after the fact will be a suspected traitor until they prove otherwise through sufficient/consistent actions, as will those who choose to remain neutral.
    Wheat and tares. Everyone is fringe now it seems.

coralcop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been in law enforcement 45 years. I and most colleagues would not consider confiscating anyone’s guns.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was at my local barber shop when a County Dept Sheriff came in and I struck up the conversation about gun confiscation and registration of all firearms and I asked this deputy what his position was on the matter. He told me he would not be coming to take anyone’s guns should Biden pass a law to do so and he would not voluntarily register his personal guns either. So I’m wondering are their any guys on this forum that wear a badge that is on our side and will not come to take our guns if the Dems pass a law.
    When they come for your guns and tell you it's "just your AR-15" they want, remember that "just 15 days to slow the spread" is now at day 345.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Cops should also realize that at some point,they might just ACTUALLY NEED the support of legal gun owners and the licensed concealed carry civilians.
    I say again - -> PICK A SIDE !! --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom