• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Went out to check a peanut field for hogs and look over a cotton field to report to the farmer any deer eating the newly sprouted cotton (he'd sprayed some type of deer repellent in one part of the cotton field and no repellent in another part). So far, no deer in the repellent sprayed area, but deer in the non-sprayed area a couple of nights, so he's gonna now spray the rest of the field.

No hogs in the peanut field, but to the east in a non-agricultural field (has planted long leaf pine seedlings), I spotted a bunch of heat signatures. Due to all the weeds, I couldn't get a clear look, so I just watched and waited for the "deer" to raise their heads, but no raised heads. Decided to walk closer...hogs! Somewhere around 25-30. Slow stalking due to all the dried old weeds and wood remnants from clear cutting a few years ago...lots of crunching noise. One sow stared and stared at me, but I stood still until she moved off. Finally, seemingly after forever, I was close enough and had gotten through the taller weeds so I could see better to shoot, but the closest hogs were boars, oh well. Sows were farther away. Picked the biggest, nearest, and shot. Down he went. Picked up another running (wish I had a video of this one), put the crosshairs about a foot in front, fired, and he did one of those flips in the air and went down. He got partially up, and I shot again. Did have to walk up and put one into his head.

Top pic was the running one. Bottom pic is the first one I shot. 300 Blackout, 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 16" Green Mountain barrel. FLIR RS32 thermal. Crux Ark30 suppressor.

249012B1-6713-4440-AF1F-C58B06051C5F.jpeg
    BB33A4F9-5EA2-4CA6-98FC-F61A9FC7883C.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nice. See if you used the breach loader if three stood in a line, youed have a triple! Looks like shots are on target now. Do the bullets exit the hogs?? 300BO. How fast do you think they run?

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The Nosler's don't always exit, but this time they did. Hit right in the middle of the shoulder in these size boar hogs, the Nosler will not exit. I hit a bit higher. Would prefer Barnes 110gr blacktips for more penetration, but for unknown reason the first shot of the Barnes hits 1 1/2 minutes low when fired from that upper 90% of the time (I've tried "everything" to get that first shot into the middle of the group, but no-go). Per the Internet, wild hogs can run up to 30 MPH. Yes, I feel my rifle has been resighted in.

Oh, I do have permission to and the owner wants us to shoot hogs in the planted pines field. Earlier the hogs had caused 10's of thousands of dollars damage in that long leaf pine field with acres and acres having to be replanted. In fact, look at the dirt around the bottom hog...that's rooted up area where more long leaf pines had been replanted a few months ago. It should be covered in green. The property owner is upset.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was wondering what kind of scope that is on your AR in the pic Rebel? I’ve been looking for a good scope for my 300 blk and was wondering what you use.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I was wondering what kind of scope that is on your AR in the pic Rebel? I’ve been looking for a good scope for my 300 blk and was wondering what you use.
    That's a sightmark photon xt. 4.6x digital nv. Works day or night. Turn on and go. Has extra ir light evolva. Runs on 2 AA. About 2 hour run time. YMMV. If I were gonna normal scope a .300 I'd go with 4x vortex.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

(I am a Blackout nut) For daylight shooting, I recommend a smaller scope in keeping with the smaller cartridge and typically lighter weight Blackout firearms and less distance capable cartridge. I use a couple of 1-4x's, a couple of 2-7x's and a 2-8x. I like my Nikon 2-8x the best. 8x for sighting in and load development and 2x for fast acquisition of a sudden appearing target.

Top Bottom