• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been going over the ATF definitions for an SBR find it somewhat ambiguous. My question: If I build an AP rifle configuration with a barrel shorter than 16" but with an overall length greater than 26", it is an SBR or not?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it has what ATF defines as a shoulder stock and a rifled barrel shorter than 16 inches why would you think it is not an SBR? Is there some ruling you know of. We all know of the pistol gripped shotguns with 14 inch barrels and 26 overall length. Is there any reason to think that this applies to rifled arms also.
    The arms manufacturers can get high priced lawyers to work these things out for them.
    There something with straight grooves in .223 and no twist to the grooves that was being sold, I am not sure how that turned out.
    see
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/franklin-armory-straight-shooter-design-details-confirmed/
    Reformation® RS7

From 2018 shot show with 11.5 inch barrel

1587828494670.png

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been going over the ATF definitions for an SBR find it somewhat ambiguous. My question: If I build an AP rifle configuration with a barrel shorter than 16" but with an overall length greater than 26", it is an SBR or not?
    Yes, rifled barrel less than 16" with a rifle stock is an sbr.
    Built from a virgin receiver and without a stock it will either be a pistol or firearm depending on overall length.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    >26, = “firearm”, which means VFG is gtg. Regardless, don’t put a stock on it. Otherwise it’s an SBR regardless, which is a no go without a stamp.
    Btw, F1’s are running a month out on eforms right now.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You could put a brace on it... then again, you could also start kissing men. Both are pretty gay. Choose wisely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gay.... like happy?

Gay... like having to wait several weeks to 18 months to get a piece of flare from the government to put a stock on your pistol?

Gay... like having to reference a ven diagram/flow chart to figure out whether or not what you just built is legal?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yup.
    Comes with the turf. Change the laws, cross the t’s and dot the i’s or get a longer barrel.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brace is the low-rent cousin of the stock... change my mind.
    6ecdba7dc74efa1a4c914c761d623746.jpg

Relative to the cost of the item from the vendor, there prices are not normally so different. Big difference one bears an NFA tax stamp and all of the trouble it takes to obtain one and also fact this it is in a federal data base. When the democraps finally gain power the low lying fruit and the means SBR ARs will be likely picked first.
    The NFA SBA may have a nicer check rest on and be longer. Are these ergonomic features plus what ever else goes with it worth the extra time and bother?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Relative cost of the item from the vendor, there prices are not normally so different. Big difference one bears and NFA tax stamp and all of the trouble it takes to obtain one and also fact this it is in a federal data base.
    The NFA SBA may have a nicer check rest on and be longer. Are these ergonomic features plus what ever else goes with it worth the extra time and bother?
    Time and bother isn't a huge deal... eform process is about 25 minutes. Passport photos can be done via smartphone, prints mailed in with a cover letter can be of the "roll your own" variety. Yeah it's $200, but a decent brace is well north of $100 anyways... the being on a registry thing is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. If the right people want to know if you have a gun, I doubt they look at NFA registry first, if at all...

All that being said, only the government demands you register them. I've never been asked to show my stamps

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If they really want to know if you have guns, they’ll look at your social media or Palmetto and Taurus bumper stickers... and no, nobody believes the boating accident tinfoil wearing fudd bull.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    John/Dan: correct me if I'm wrong.

SBR: cost more, wait longer, more restrictive, on a whole other (higher profile) government list.

Is any of that false?

Can you "operate" any less hard with the brace options? Are you really losing any functionality?

For the Wilson combat/geissele/scar/lwrc crowd, $200 isn't a big deal. Not to mention the other toys you get to play with during your form 1 eform wait, which is relatively short. Others aren't so lucky.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I guess if I went to public places, to play "show-and-tell" with the other cool , non-gay, fellows, I would know what to do. In the meantime, I'll just stay happy, satisfied, and ignorant.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom