Patriot Mobile

7.62x39- pistol build. What's the shortest barrel length?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Same question as my 5.56 thread. I'm trying to build a multiple caliber pistol platform.
    What is the best/ shortest 7.62x39 barrel to use?
    I already have a 7.62x39 rifle (16")
    Also this will be most always suppressed.
    Adjustable gas block.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    about 7.5 inches is common in the AR uppers as being the shortest. I believe the flash hider is not included barrel length measurement. If you are not putting this on a gas operated semiauto, you could go shorter. It has a lot of blast.
    AR-15 Complete Upper Assembly, 7.5" Parkerized Heavy Barrel, 7.62x39, Pistol

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Lol. Yeah I know about muzzle blast! I had zero desire to own rifle caliber pistols until I got into the supressor scene. Just too much blast for more than a couple rounds. Great for a giggle. But too costly to justify a purchase.... but with a can?
    Different game altogether.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    10.5"ish carbine length gas system will give max dwell time for accuracy and velocity and be easier to find than anything else in stock or on a wait list right now. Not sure what you're wanting to do with it. If just punching paper at 50 yards with some cheap steel case and knock the sound level down a bit with the can, then go short as ya want. If you want accuracy to 100 yards with hand loaded or high priced subsonic ammo, then at least 10 inches to let that projectile work up some amount of velocity and be accurate. If you're not worried about ammo, I'd honestly look into the 300 blackout and suppressing that before going with 7.62x39. Same projectiles, and with supressed and vying for subsonic decibels and accuracy, you don't need the size of the 7.62x39 cartridge for powder. 300 subs are more readily available than 7.62x39 subs I've found. 300bo brass is cheaper, or you can make your own from 5.56 brass.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 7.5 in both 7.62x39 and 300 bo AR uppers. The 300 bo requires me to reload ammo these days. The x39, a lot on hand is still available, so reloading is not really needed for shooting, but quality ammo say with barnes copper bullets must still be reloaded.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    10.5"ish carbine length gas system will give max dwell time for accuracy and velocity and be easier to find than anything else in stock or on a wait list right now. Not sure what you're wanting to do with it. If just punching paper at 50 yards with some cheap steel case and knock the sound level down a bit with the can, then go short as ya want. If you want accuracy to 100 yards with hand loaded or high priced subsonic ammo, then at least 10 inches to let that projectile work up some amount of velocity and be accurate. If you're not worried about ammo, I'd honestly look into the 300 blackout and suppressing that before going with 7.62x39. Same projectiles, and with supressed and vying for subsonic decibels and accuracy, you don't need the size of the 7.62x39 cartridge for powder. 300 subs are more readily available than 7.62x39 subs I've found. 300bo brass is cheaper, or you can make your own from 5.56 brass.
    There is ultimate sub moa accuracy and then there what you need to defend yourself.

5.56 brass is cheaper, but requires a lot of work to turn it into 300 bo.

These are things to consider.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Thanks guys. I've got a 300 with a 7.5" barrel. But no ammo. But i do have x39 in stock. I could just shoot my AK or AR47, but that's not what this thread is about. I'm gathering data and parts to hopefully have a true multi caliber ar pistol. With the price of ammo now a days, options are nice to have.
    I really appreciate all of your input.
    Thank you.

misterfredi952

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Thanks guys. I've got a 300 with a 7.5" barrel. But no ammo. But i do have x39 in stock. I could just shoot my AK or AR47, but that's not what this thread is about. I'm gathering data and parts to hopefully have a true multi caliber ar pistol. With the price of ammo now a days, options are nice to have.
    I really appreciate all of your input.
    Thank you.
    I've got a 8.5in upper with 7in keymod and bcg upgraded the firing pin. I'll sell you 7.62x39

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Thanks for the offer. I think first I'm going to concentrate on 5.56. But after that will be 7.62x39

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I saw some steel cased 300 black out advertised recently
    Screenshot_20210114-023742_Chrome.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw some steel cased 300 black out advertised recently View attachment 103471
    Steel case wolf was supposed to have been here last april and I was on a notify list. Never showed up at and it was supposed to be about 30 cents a round or so. Some of it showed up later at much higher pricing.

1610648788119.png

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That box says rifle cartridges. I thought 300 was classified a pistol round? Could bite us if they make laws against rifle ammo powered pistols. Mmmm
    It is a rifle caliber that is used in some pistols. Exactly what law is it that is going to bite us please.
    Cartridge started out as the 300 whisper that was intended for silenced AR15 with subsonic bullets.
    I think you may be referring to:
    Type and Caliber. The type and caliber of firearm to which the stabilizing brace or similar item is installed. A large caliber firearm that is impractical to fire with one hand because of recoil or other factors, even with an arm brace, is likely to be considered a rifle or shotgun.
    It simply says large caliber here that is not a 300 blackout.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Steel case wolf was supposed to have been here last april and I was on a notify list. Never showed up at and it was supposed to be about 30 cents a round or so. Some of it showed up later at much higher pricing.
    I know several people who had orders that were never delivered, cancelled, and then of course what they had on that order was back up for 3 times the price... crap way to do business for that company IMO.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    It is a rifle caliber that is used in some pistols. Exactly what law is it that is going to bite us please.
    Cartridge started out as the 300 whisper that was intended for silenced AR15 with subsonic bullets.
    I think you may be referring to:

It simply says large caliber here that is not a 300 blackout.
    There has been talk that rifle powered pistols would be deemed illegal. Ar pistols. If in deed that happens would there be a loophole that makes an ar9 legal, being it's pistol caliber? Speculation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There has been talk that rifle powered pistols would be deemed illegal. Ar pistols. If in deed that happens would there be a loophole that makes an ar9 legal, being it's pistol caliber? Speculation.
    Below is the source of that speculation. It says large caliber. This was the ATF action meant to established standard for arm braces that was withdrawn. Now it may come soon and no one knows what will be one it.
    The 7.62x39 is regulated by the ATF as though it is a pistol caliber for example relative to AP projectiles.

Type and Caliber. The type and caliber of firearm to which the stabilizing brace or similar item is installed. A large caliber firearm that is impractical to fire with one hand because of recoil or other factors, even with an arm brace, is likely to be considered a rifle or shotgu

Members online

Top Bottom