Votes: 2 40.0%
    • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a 300 pistol, and could use that setup to swap with. However it may just make more sense to built a complete rifle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any bullet is going benefit from a longer barrel, until the friction starts reducing velocity. Less velocity is going to reduce effective range. A 12.5" grendel isn't going to shoot as far as a 24". Guys talk about the 300 being "optimized" for shorter barrels but will still get a velocity boost in a 16"

Is there any benefit to the grendel in 12.5 relative to a similarly sized setup in 6.8, 300 or 5.56? Depends on what you're looking for.
    I know of knowledgeable people that use the 6.5 Grendel in 12.5 inch barrels. I went 18 inches with mine.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have experience with subs in the blackout but no experience with the Grendal. I just plugged in some numbers out to 600 yards with the 6.5 120 AMAX at 2400 fps vs the 77Sierra TMK at 2850 fps. The 77 grainers beats the 120 grainers by far in elevation and 2/10 in wind. The Grendal does hit about 20% harder at 600 yards but we are talking 588 ft lbs vs 480 ft lbs. Are my numbers off? There is no way i would reach in my safe and choose any of these offerings for a 600 yard kill shot. Why would anyone choose the odd ball over the most available cartridge in the states?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Longer/ heavier bullets are going to hold energy better at longer distances. Your example is a narrow comparison of the 2 and ignores the area where the grendel was meant to excel (within the limits of a small frame AR).

Which barrel length for your numbers?

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My numbers came from a thread on Snipershide. It was an 18” Grendal. The 5.56 load is mine from a 20” white oak. Longer heavier bullets only go slower. What would be an expected velocity for a 130 hybrid? Could these be loaded to AR Mag length? I would expect single feed only

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My numbers came from a thread on Snipershide. It was an 18” Grendal. The 5.56 load is mine from a 20” white oak. Longer heavier bullets only go slower. What would be an expected velocity for a 130 hybrid? Could these be loaded to AR Mag length? I would expect single feed only
    They go slower but they retain more at distance. The 224val is slower than the 22nos but it retains the velocity better than the shorter/ lighter bullet(depending on load used).

There's no one caliber to rule them all.

I'd use the googs to find out about your 130

Top Bottom