• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Friend gave me a thousand cast semi-wadcutters. They range from 160-164gr. Also got a bunch of cast lead round nose that range from 118-123gr. I did an average of 10 of each of the projectiles. Diameter-wise they go from .355.9-.358.6. They came with some reloading supplies he picked up in bulk, no clue who made them or what alloy they are. Just looking for a good plinking round.
    Loading for my daughter's .357 Taurus m65. I've got Bullseye, Universal, CFE Pistol, and Power Pistol to play with. Anyone got some decent load data for these two projectiles with those powders? Got more bullseye and CFE Pistol than anything else, as I use those two for 9mm reloading.
    I loaded a lot of .38 wadcutters when I was a teen, but that was 30 years ago. Not loaded much uncoated lead for the calibers I have loaded in that time period (.308, .30-30, 6.5 CM, 5.56, 9mm, 10mm, .40, and .25-06) Not loaded for a wheel-gun in a very long time and I'm excited as hell my daughter is a wheelgun enthusiast.

George G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used 3.5 grains of bullseye since the last century. Used to be a standard from the days of PPC.you can check any manual. I can't tell if your bullets are lubed. That's important.good luck.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    They've got a waxy feel to them but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I can handle them without getting black hands at least

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like some of them have lube grooves with no lube.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The bases on the SWC's look funky , been my experience for 38 special target loads that the RN 158 will outscore the SWC . How fast are you wanting to push these ? With a 158 - 160 , 3.5grs Bullseye , 4.1grs W231 , 4.0grs Acc#2 , 4.5grs Unique / VVN-340 , 3.4grs Titegroup all good loads . If bullets need lubing , you can tumble lube them with Lee Liq Alox , cut with mineral spirits or buy some White Label Lube 45-45-10 . 45% Alox , 45% wax & 10% mineral spirits . A very little bit goes a long ways , want just a light brownish tint on bullets .

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not looking at pushing them fast, not trying to meet power factors or anything, just punching holes in paper or hitting plates at ergc. Guess I need to figure out the best way to lube the damned things as they have no lube in the grooves. They were free, and figured they'd do well. I also have a bunch of 147gr hi tek coated truncated cones, but they're only .356 diameter. I quit loading those for my 9mm because my CZ hates that profile and I have to seat them dangerously deep. I assume they'd work in .38 but not be overly accurate. I mean, there are several convertible pistols that go from .357/.38 to 9mm.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those bullets appear to be coated with a dry lube, they are not bare lead for sure. I’d try a few to make sure , but I’d bet they are lubed And ready to load as is.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've never claimed to be an expert, & I haven't cast my own bullets in decades, but as a reloader of over 33 years, I personally wouldn't want any of them (no offense intended, JMO). The diameter and weight disparities give me pause, and although they "might" have a coating, the empty lube grooves make them suspect without closer examination. Also, the RN bullets look more like for 9mm than .38. Are the RNs the .355.9 diameter, 118-123gr. you cited? I certainly wouldn't use them in a .38 Special. I'd set them aside and buy some nice cast bullets from a reputable company...I like Missouri Bullet Co., but YMMV. Just my unsolicited opinion.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Opinions vary, but if I could find new bullets to buy then that is what I’d do. But for a fact , dry lube Does not fill the grooves , it is a coating. And my qualifications are none professional amateur hand loader with 55 years of experience. I usually regret offering my opinion even when it’s ask for , this thread is no exception.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Opinions vary, but if I could find new bullets to buy then that is what I’d do. But for a fact , dry lube Does not fill the grooves , it is a coating. And my qualifications are none professional amateur hand loader with 55 years of experience. I usually regret offering my opinion even when it’s ask for , this thread is no exception.
    I'm always hesitant to offer opinions myself and already regret offering mine here. I realize what dry lube is, but I personally can't tell from the pics which is why I stated closer examination is needed, at least for me.

FWIW, I order & receive cast bullets regularly from Missouri Bullet Co. They offer traditional and dry lubed bullets. YMMV

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I appreciate the input guys. Yeah, I'm hesitant as well just because of inconsistencies. I loaded a dozen with 3.3gr of bullseye and I'll see how they do, but likely I'll end up scrapping them. They are coated in something, I heated one up by dropping it in a cut coke can over a candle and can wipe off a yellowish waxy substance but I have no idea what it is.
    The LGS I stop at regularly has Magnuson bullets that are .358 for what appears to be a decent price but I know little about them. Anyone have experience with them? Are they pre-lubed?

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I am not familiar with Magnuson bullets but I've heard of Magnus. Either way I'm sure they'd be fine. I would expect that any commercially offered bullets would be lubed.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am not familiar with Magnuson bullets but I've heard of Magnus. Either way I'm sure they'd be fine. I would expect that any commercially offered bullets would be lubed.
    They probably are Magnus, and I'm just misremembering. Too be fair, it's been a long week without a lot of sleep.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the bullets are dry coated, would not that make their measured diameter greater than .355-.357 inches and also up the wt a bit.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If shooting in a revolver bullets should be sized to be a push thru fit with cylinder throats . If it falls thru it's too small & will lead , if it's too big to push thru with a pencil it'll raise pressure ( not a problem with less than full loads ) . Cheapest easiest way to lube is tumble lubing as I stated above . Good plinking / casual target loads with a 158gr bullet ( 38 special ) include ones I mentioned above & 4.5grs SR7625 , 4.5grs Unique or Universal Clays , 3.6 - 4.0grs AA#2 , 4.0 - 4.3grs W231 , 3.2 - 3.5grs Titegroup , 3.2 - 3.5grs Bullseye , 3.1 - 3.3grs WST , 3.5 - 4.0grs 700X . The lighter ones you're on your own . You'll have to cull the undersized ones or you'll be scrubbing lead .

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If you end up wanting to get rid of some I'd be curious and dont mind sizing and weighing em out.

Also the hodgdon website has some good data on their for 38spec and lot of bullet weights.

Top Bottom