• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am not shure which FMJ BT you were looking at. For comparison I found a Hornady 55 gr fmj BT. The point by itself will make a considerable difference relative to the Ballistic Coefficient.

View attachment 84483

The berger bullet you mentioned is below. If we are comparing boat tail to flat base, then as I said the ogives have to be identical.

View attachment 84482
    My go to ballistics calculator is a Kestrel. I used Ballistics AE app on my phone for the above comparison, and it was just that a comparison. The point was to show that a bullet with a higher BC travels faster at distance than a bullet with a lower BC. FLatbase Bullets have a lower BC than boattails. Yes boattails transition from super to sub better but that’s not why they so popular. Flat base Bullets are for pistols and 100yd benchrest. I’d stick with boattails for rifles.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am confident I can adjust my scope to make my mark.

Then go for it!

But man this post went off on a tangent.

I have a place to stretch out to 500+ yards finally and hope to start to practice more at the longer ranges. I missed a deer at 300 this past season and I want to feel comfortable at 300ish yards! A lot of people say that a 3-9 power scope is plenty for 300 yards. I really don't know how! I have great eye sight and at 200+ the cross hairs are jumping and covering a lot of that animal even with fine cross hairs! Then add dim lighting to that and well, things can get tough for sure!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Then go for it!

But man this post went off on a tangent.

I have a place to stretch out to 500+ yards finally and hope to start to practice more at the longer ranges. I missed a deer at 300 this past season and I want to feel comfortable at 300ish yards! A lot of people say that a 3-9 power scope is plenty for 300 yards. I really don't know how! I have great eye sight and at 200+ the cross hairs are jumping and covering a lot of that animal even with fine cross hairs! Then add dim lighting to that and well, things can get tough for sure!
    Dont feel bad, using someone else's rifle,a big nono, I missed a deer by a mile at less than 100! I'll never use another person's gun unless it's my dads.i think 4-12 or 3-9 is sufficient for 500. Thank you for talking

Latest posts

Top Bottom