• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm looking to start up some loads for my Savage 10fp 1:10 20 inch barrel. Does anyone have loads that work well for that length/twist? Is there a place I can purchase small quantities of projectiles instead of 100 count boxes so I don't spend a fortune trying to figure out what my rifle likes to eat? What are the go to powders? Right now I have a pound of varget and some Hornady and Remington brass, both cci and Winchester primers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I will tell you now the 168gr Sierra Match King with either IMR 4895 or IMR 4064 will be HARD to beat.

There's a saying in the .308 world... if your rifle won't shoot Federal Gold Medal Match (FGGM) ammo, which the above load duplicates, get rid of it as that's the standard in which to test your reloads.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You can also play with the 175's (SMK) and or the 168gr A-Max. I have an FP10 but 24" and shoots all three bullets very well.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    1. What are you going to use the rifle for ? Hunting or ___ . Hunting bullets vs match bullets vs plinking bullets.
    2. What is the limit on your range you can shoot ?
    3. Is your FP barrel threaded ?
    As Bowhntr stated, FGMM ammo is the gold standard for 308 ammo, the equivalent can be built with I & H 4895 & I 4064.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a Savage 112 with 24" barrel (same twist as yours). I settled, after much testing, with 175 gr Sierra Match King over 42.0 gr of IMR 4895, Lake City (1964) weight sorted brass and Federal match primers. I set COAL so that I have 18 thou jump to lands. I see .3 to .8 MOA (.6 typical) 5 shot groups at 300 yards prone, off a bipod and bag rear rest. YMMV

**** I am sure you know this but I will say it anyway: DO NOT use load data, like mine, and assume it will be safe to run in your rifle. Only use proven data like from reloading manuals as a starting point and work up a load that will be best for your unique rifle.

FYI: I found that adding weight to the rifle (mine weights 15 pounds) makes for a much more enjoyable shooting session.

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1. What are you going to use the rifle for ? Hunting or ___ . Hunting bullets vs match bullets vs plinking bullets.
    2. What is the limit on your range you can shoot ?
    3. Is your FP barrel threaded ?
    As Bowhntr stated, FGMM ammo is the gold standard for 308 ammo, the equivalent can be built with I & H 4895 & I 4064.
    1. Bench shooting with bipod. Has B&C competition stock on it. I'm not looking to compete, just punch ragged holes in paper.
    2. 100-200 yards on most days, but have access to some private property that I can go to with a friend out to around 550 yards.
    3. Yes. It has a threaded barrel but I have no plans of a suppressor. I'll eventually put a quality brake on it but for now just thread protector.

For other questions, using borrowed glass (still waiting on mine to ship) I've managed 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap 150gr ammo. And 1 inch groups with Federal match 168gr. Slightly better groups with Hornady 178gr eld match (all factory loads). Just wanted to get some ideas on what others have had success with as far as other powders and such go. This is solely a range gun as I don't do much hunting and even less hunting in places where I'd be shooting over 75 yards as it's usually in the Mobile/Tensaw delta

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a 16" heavy bbl Remington 308Win set in a B&C stock. It absolutely loves the Sierra 155gr Palma bullets.
    I have not tried anything heavier.
    My hunting bullet is the Barnes 130gr TSX. Those will shoot as good as the Palma's out to 300yds. To the same POI also. --- SAWMAN
    DSC00996.JPG

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a 16" heavy bbl Remington 308Win set in a B&C stock. It absolutely loves the Sierra 155gr Palma bullets.
    I have not tried anything heavier.
    My hunting bullet is the Barnes 130gr TSX. Those will shoot as good as the Palma's out to 300yds. To the same POI also. --- SAWMAN View attachment 84141
    What twist barrel, Sawman? Lighter projectiles are definitely cheaper, but everything I've read on 1:10 has pointed to 168-190gr being optimal.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    These guns came in 16 or 20 inch bbl. I chose the 16 because given the same bbl profile,the shorter bbl is stiffer.
    Also,I did not need the extra bbl legnth for added speed to shoot waaaay out there. 600yds will do for me nowadays. Besides,if for some reason I wanted to match the speed of another 4 inches of bbl,I could drop down in bullet weight. Of course I could loose some bullet B.C. in doing so. --- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you are truly reloading to find the best round/load, you will go through that box of 100 pretty quick. I am always tinkering and trying different loads. My boxes of 100 dwindle fast!

I have about 6 different rifle powders though. But there can be an accuracy difference between 0.5 grains of powder. And you need to load 5-10 at each to check to make sure it's the rifle and not you etc.. Just saying this reloading stuff is addicting. It is for me at least. But my reloading set up is right behind me right now inside in nice climate controlled area where it's nice to reload.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    AS most has said 42.5 4895 serr. 168 will be hard to bet. used this load for about 20 yrs shooting comp. mostly with the M1-A and some bolt. guns 1-10 barrels. Used LC- brass. Mil. spec. BASS has less volm. then comp. brass so this could change the load some. The only thing the serr. 168 is not a good hunting. but the Hor, 168 A-mat is and same to be a little more acc. And worked at all dist. out to 800 yds. just my 10 cents jj Had to go up.Bill

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good point that JJ made re. mil brass. If you are loading to the max,you might want to drop back some if you use mil brass.
    I use all LC72 and CCI 250 primers. I usually drop back between 0.3gr and 1.0gr of powder. ( and I love 748) ---SAWMAN

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    First time I tried reloading mil brass I broke the depriming pin on my die, so I've steered clear. I got a bunch of range brass that I've been sorting through. Speaking of which, anyone need .45, .38, or 5.56/.223 brass? I've got plenty for trade. All I'm reloading is 9mm and .308, though I'm debating getting dies for my .30-30 but I fire it only during hunting season. Maybe half a box to make sure I can hit my target then the rest are reserved for the swamp.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I'm a few miles north of Milton. Will give you 100 175gr Sierra Matchkings for you to play with. They are pulls, so some might have slight marks, but they do not affect loading or accuracy (I shoot a LOT of pulls). I can use some .223/5.56 brass.... I'll go ahead and count out 100 in case you want them.

Reactions: FLT

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm a few miles north of Milton. Will give you 100 175gr Sierra Matchkings for you to play with. They are pulls, so some might have slight marks, but they do not affect loading or accuracy (I shoot a LOT of pulls). I can use some .223/5.56 brass.... I'll go ahead and count out 100 in case you want them.
    I'll sling you a bunch of 556 brass for your efforts. I appreciate it. Might need to wait for this fire to abate though as traffic for me to get home is nightmarish at best as I live off Avalon. Took me 2 hours to get from I-10 to my house yesterday after work.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I like RL-15 in my bolt gun under 175s. It is very fond of FGMM 168s too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom