• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Congrats. Neat setup. I'll have to check out that turret for table shooting. I bought a BOG Deathgrip setup that's similar but on a larger tripod leg setup. I love that rascal!

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the record, the Primary Arms is a lot like the Acog at 1/3rd the price. It has lifetime warranty no questions asked!

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, the build is complete. Back problems set me back. I got about $1,700 in it as it sits. Well, not that much because I cash rewards points in on Amazon for the scope, Bipod, strap, and torrent. By the way, I love the torrent VS led sled. So much lighter and easy to use.
    The Torrent tri pod is interesting. Haven’t seen one of those yet.

Have you shot it yet?

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Torrent tri pod is interesting. Haven’t seen one of those yet.

Have you shot it yet?
    I have not but I'll tell you tomorrow. I seen multiple people on Youtube with them shooting. Thig thing is stout, its not light but it's lighter than the Led Sled.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrats. Neat setup. I'll have to check out that turret for table shooting. I bought a BOG Deathgrip setup that's similar but on a larger tripod leg setup. I love that rascal!
    Wow, I looked at the BOG and it's expensive compared to the Caldwell torrent for $69.00.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Wow, I looked at the BOG and it's expensive compared to the Caldwell torrent for $69.00.
    Yeah I caught mine on sale a while back. I think it was during the prime period on Amazon maybe. Got mine for 120.
    I like that one you have also. I may get both.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, Sighted in the Primary Arms yesterday on this .308 build. The directions say to sight it in at 50 meters (57 yard). Here is the first group.
    Scope Set numbered.jpg

I was surprised it was very close from the get go. Remember, the targets are regular print paper so each ring is not an inch, probably 1/2 to 3/8. This is the ammo I was using
    20221002_154622.jpg

I took one more shot at a diffewrent target just for good measure.

2nd target.jpg

So I wanted to see how cheap Wolf ammo would compare, I let my brother-in-law have a go. I was very surprised with the grouping. He didn't figure out where to hold the chevron as quick as I did.

Brother-in-law.jpg

Now onto the Bergara 6.5 Creedmoor at 100 yard using Hornaday match grade @Little Jack's Guns. Gun shoots like a dream with zero recoil, we shot both guns off the torrent also with no issued, I like the led sled for sighting in better.

20221002_124348.jpg

Bergara 1st set.jpg

I decided it was less than an inch out of center at 100 yards so I called it good enough. Here is the second set with brother-in-law.

Final Bergara.jpg

Overall I am impressed with the Aero M5E. It cycled flawlessly after a few drops of gun oil. Maybe next weekend I'll take it out and see what I can do at 300 yards.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So first off be sure that the upper is even compatible with the ar308 platform from Aero

Second I won't touch or buy bca.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So first off be sure that the upper is even compatible with the ar308 platform from Aero

Second I won't touch or buy bca.
    Thanks buddy but you are a little late to the ball game. I used all Aero M5 everything except for the nickel boron BCG. The M5 upper and lower fit like a glove, see photos on the last page.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, Sighted in the Primary Arms yesterday on this .308 build. The directions say to sight it in at 50 meters (57 yard). Here is the first group.
    View attachment 187053
    I was surprised it was very close from the get go. Remember, the targets are regular print paper so each ring is not an inch, probably 1/2 to 3/8. This is the ammo I was using
    View attachment 187054

I took one more shot at a diffewrent target just for good measure.

View attachment 187055

So I wanted to see how cheap Wolf ammo would compare, I let my brother-in-law have a go. I was very surprised with the grouping. He didn't figure out where to hold the chevron as quick as I did.

View attachment 187056
    Now onto the Bergara 6.5 Creedmoor at 100 yard using Hornaday match grade @Little Jack's Guns. Gun shoots like a dream with zero recoil, we shot both guns off the torrent also with no issued, I like the led sled for sighting in better.

View attachment 187057

View attachment 187058

I decided it was less than an inch out of center at 100 yards so I called it good enough. Here is the second set with brother-in-law.

View attachment 187059

Overall I am impressed with the Aero M5E. It cycled flawlessly after a few drops of gun oil. Maybe next weekend I'll take it out and see what I can do at 300 yards.
    That 5 port brake is doing some work on the 6.5 recoil.

If that’s a 5x prism? I think the reticle has holds out to 800. 300 is definitely doable.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is, I had to do much research on muzzle brakes, I know least about the causes and effects from them then any other thing about shooting. After days of reading I decided on this one;

Ultradyne Apollo S Compensator Muzzle Brake with Timing Nut 6.5mm 5/8"-24 Thread Stainless Steel Nitride​

It's worth every penny. On the Bergara I messed up on the Vortex GEN 2 zero stop while sighting it in. I didn't follow the directions properly and crank it all the way down before sighting it in. I went back out yesterday and did it correctly and got it a little closer just shooting off the torrent. I need to better understand the moa's when dialing the scope out for distances. I'm new to adjustable scopes. I don't know if I dial up 500 yards by the ballistics of the round or the MOA's on the scope. I got windage figured out, just not BDC. If I crank it all the way down to zero where it stops and set windage at zero, I got this at 100 yards yesterday with Hornady Match Grade 140g.
    Yesterday.jpg
    Yesterday 2.jpg

But I did not touch the scope and shot this at 187 yards according to my range finder.
    187 yards.jpg

I'm abut 2'' to 3'' low.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is, I had to do much research on muzzle brakes, I know least about the causes and effects from them then any other thing about shooting. After days of reading I decided on this one;

Ultradyne Apollo S Compensator Muzzle Brake with Timing Nut 6.5mm 5/8"-24 Thread Stainless Steel Nitride​

It's worth every penny. On the Bergara I messed up on the Vortex GEN 2 zero stop while sighting it in. I didn't follow the directions properly and crank it all the way down before sighting it in. I went back out yesterday and did it correctly and got it a little closer just shooting off the torrent. I need to better understand the moa's when dialing the scope out for distances. I'm new to adjustable scopes. I don't know if I dial up 500 yards by the ballistics of the round or the MOA's on the scope. I got windage figured out, just not BDC. If I crank it all the way down to zero where it stops and set windage at zero, I got this at 100 yards yesterday with Hornady Match Grade 140g.
    View attachment 187451 View attachment 187452

But I did not touch the scope and shot this at 187 yards according to my range finder. View attachment 187453

I'm abut 2'' to 3'' low.
    Realize too that different positions will affect point of impact. So if you sight it in on a sled, then use the torent then maybe shoot it off the bench, it’s likely all 3 will shift point of impact a little.

When setting the zero stop, I personally like set the stop point about 10 clicks below the actual zero point. That way if you change ammo its much easier to rezero. Gives you some wiggle room without having to reset the stop.

As far as dialing the scope, not quite sure I follow what you are asking. But going to attempt an answer. The scope markings of up and down/left and right shift the point of impact. So if your shot hits low you need to come up. The actual reticle if looking through the scope moves the opposite direction so always think about it in terms of shifting point of impact, not point of aim. I have seen this confuse a few people, me included early on.

Ballistic data from Hornady for 140 grain ELD and 2710 FPS
    AAB34EC7-D482-4C8E-8D0D-95D37D86A201.png

A 500 yard hold is 8.77 moa up off a 100 yard zero. You can either dial the scope up to 8 3/4” or use the reticle. Might need to hold or ad a click or to for spin drift depending on your preference, depending on the wind/mirage.

If possible have someone who knows how to spot help you walk your shots out.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Realize too that different positions will affect point of impact. So if you sight it in on a sled, then use the torent then maybe shoot it off the bench, it’s likely all 3 will shift point of impact a little.

When setting the zero stop, I personally like set the stop point about 10 clicks below the actual zero point. That way if you change ammo its much easier to rezero. Gives you some wiggle room without having to reset the stop.

As far as dialing the scope, not quite sure I follow what you are asking. But going to attempt an answer. The scope markings of up and down/left and right shift the point of impact. So if your shot hits low you need to come up. The actual reticle if looking through the scope moves the opposite direction so always think about it in terms of shifting point of impact, not point of aim. I have seen this confuse a few people, me included early on.

Ballistic data from Hornady for 140 grain ELD and 2710 FPS
    View attachment 187456
    A 500 yard hold is 8.77 moa up off a 100 yard zero. You can either dial the scope up to 8 3/4” or use the reticle. Might need to hold or ad a click or to for spin drift depending on your preference, depending on the wind/mirage.

If possible have someone who knows how to spot help you walk your shots out.
    Thanks buddy, I've been researching it this morning and have came to the conclusion you just described. I have the right to left figured out or windage. Unlike the .308 I scoped with the Primary Arms Prism with reticles for the.308 BDC, this Creedmoor and Vortex I have to look at the ballistics and adjust accordingly to the round. Good Idea on leaving the 10 clicks for wiggle room on different cartridges but at 100 yards, I don't imagine I would drop much shooting a cheap round. Also, I found the Bergara is easier to hold steady on the torrent. Once I have the target dead center, I can just pull the trigger with out touching the table. I think that's why I was closer center. Let me know when you want to go shooting, I shoot off of HWY 87 near cold water creek!! My buddie's property is big and we can shoot at least 500 yards there.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And he has more property in McLellan where we can shoot at least 2,000 yards.

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And he has more property in McLellan where we can shoot at least 2,000 yards.
    2k.. I don’t even have any thing that would reliably hit out that far....

I would not be against spotting but am by no means a pro shooter, just a guy sharing the little I think I know.

It was helpful to me to have someone who really knew his shit spot for me.

Krazy1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2k.. I don’t even have any thing that would reliably hit out that far....

I would not be against spotting but am by no means a pro shooter, just a guy sharing the little I think I know.

It was helpful to me to have someone who really knew his shit spot for me.
    I don't either, not that I know how to use. I do appreciate the info, I like learning for people who know more than me. I bought the Bergara as a entry model. I plan on studying and learning more. I figured out that a good steady table, not a fold out table is the first step ;)

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I don't either, not that I know how to use. I do appreciate the info, I like learning for people who know more than me. I bought the Bergara as a entry model. I plan on studying and learning more. I figured out that a good steady table, not a fold out table is the first step ;)
    Indeed. Which reminds me. The other day I had my BOG out. I was wondering if it would do the stance like your Caldwell would do, turns out it can do that too. Only issue is it's pretty big still and would be more suited for prone use or a large firm table. Just figured I'd share it in case anyone else was wondering. I still may buy one like yours soon for small table use

Attachments

• 20221002_185823.jpg
      20221002_185823.jpg
      545.1 KB · Views: 28

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Indeed. Which reminds me. The other day I had my BOG out. I was wondering if it would do the stance like your Caldwell would do, turns out it can do that too. Only issue is it's pretty big still and would be more suited for prone use or a large firm table. Just figured I'd share it in case anyone else was wondering. I still may buy one like yours soon for small table use
    Yeah! Get rid of that Bog! :) my bride needs one. Lol.

Top Bottom