• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quick question what y’all think of 300bo out of 16 inch barrel. What’s the far range on a shot and. Maybe going to do some hog hunting and maybe have some home defense duty. What y’all options?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With the best bullets,loaded as fast as possible,and the plus of certain bullets that were designed for the 300BLK,like the Barnes TX-TAC (30321),your distance to make an ethical kill will be out close to 300yds. This on hogs and NW Fla deer.
    The 300BLK being .308" will shoot a variety of hunting bullets. But will it shoot the quick and positive opening ones ?? This is why I believe that it is important for the hunter to have a 1:7 twist bbl. The rotational velocity will help the slower bullet do it's thing.
    Some of the bullets designed for the 30-30Win are another good choice. Use the <151 gr ones. Hornady makes an excellent 135gr lead nose HP. This is designed for the 30-30's. They shoot good in my single and bolt guns. --- SAWMAN

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the best bullets,loaded as fast as possible,and the plus of certain bullets that were designed for the 300BLK,like the Barnes TX-TAC (30321),your distance to make an ethical kill will be out close to 300yds. This on hogs and NW Fla deer.
    The 300BLK being .308" will shoot a variety of hunting bullets. But will it shoot the quick and positive opening ones ?? This is why I believe that it is important for the hunter to have a 1:7 twist bbl. The rotational velocity will help the slower bullet do it's thing.
    Some of the bullets designed for the 30-30Win are another good choice. Use the <151 gr ones. Hornady makes an excellent 135gr lead nose HP. This is designed for the 30-30's. They shoot good in my single and bolt guns. --- SAWMAN
    I’m shoot it out a Ar setup. I haven’t heard of many people using a 16inch setup.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I hunt with the 16” Blackout bbl. Farthest deer taken was 197 yd. 16” bbl gives more velocity for hunting than shorter bbls. Have taken hogs farther than 100 yd, but prefer to get much closer, both for more bullet energy and my shooting ability. Concur with Sawman in the use of the Barnes 110 grain black tip bullets if your bbl likes them.

I am a Blackout fanboy, have used it for hunting for years, and have been testing bbl materials and bore treatments, so my viewpoint could be slanted.

Lots of people use 16” Blackouts. I have 6 16” bbl blackouts.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot the bullets that Sawman mentioned, out of 2 ARs with 16 inch barrels a colt 9120 with a fn 300 blk barrel installed and a S&W factory 300BLK/ 300 whisper. The FN has a 1in 7 twist rate and the S&W has 1 in 71/2 . I limit my self to 200 yards max , inside that yardage I find it to be a great game cartridge. Especially with the Barnes bullet. They are a little pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. I can’t comment on longer ranges as I haven’t shot any thing father away than 200 yards . Most of my shots are under a 100 yards .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom