• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Some of the heavier 357 bullets and Trail Boss would get you about 700fps and up.
    It would be a fun-gun.
    My single shot 16" 450Bushmaster using a 250gr and Trail Boss will get me about 800fps. A real eye opener at the club. ---- SAWMAN

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When I had Rick do mine I picked a Douglas XX because it had the fastest twist 1 in 14 , settled on 22" & #4 profile . It's heavy for a stalking type , but comes in handy when launching 250gr bullets . Back then I got to do good bit of moose & elk hunting . Put a Kahles 30mm 1.5-6X42 on it . Great dark woods / timber rig . Before you go ultra short on a tube figure out heaviest bullet you'll shoot & go from there . 358 Win doesn't have heaps of MV to give up with 225gr & up . Around here even for big hogs & bear it's overkill . It does well with cast , I use a 200gr FN RCBS mold with gascheck & H4895 powder @ 1950fps it has taken numerous WT's & hogs . Kinda like a 35 Rem .

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can only think of benefits from running a SA caliber in a LA. The main one would be taking advantage of the overall length of a LA. You will be able to seat the bullet longer giving you more room in the powder column. Velocity kills!

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    When I had Rick do mine I picked a Douglas XX because it had the fastest twist 1 in 14 , settled on 22" & #4 profile . It's heavy for a stalking type , but comes in handy when launching 250gr bullets . Back then I got to do good bit of moose & elk hunting . Put a Kahles 30mm 1.5-6X42 on it . Great dark woods / timber rig . Before you go ultra short on a tube figure out heaviest bullet you'll shoot & go from there . 358 Win doesn't have heaps of MV to give up with 225gr & up . Around here even for big hogs & bear it's overkill . It does well with cast , I use a 200gr FN RCBS mold with gascheck & H4895 powder @ 1950fps it has taken numerous WT's & hogs . Kinda like a 35 Rem .

Rick? ( had to reread back nevermind)

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So talked to Rick and the big issue with the howa is metric threading. Action length did come up also.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Long action is why I brought up 35 Whelen . You can download it around here & if you catch a chance at bigger game you got it . Came about as a way to get 90% of 375 H&H performance out of surplus std length 1903 / Mauser 98 actions . Poor man's Alaskan Game Rifle back in the day .
    Metric as are SAKO / Tikka , CZ . If you have to ship to get work done you might want to sell it & buy what you want .

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Long action is why I brought up 35 Whelen . You can download it around here & if you catch a chance at bigger game you got it . Came about as a way to get 90% of 375 H&H performance out of surplus std length 1903 / Mauser 98 actions . Poor man's Alaskan Game Rifle back in the day .
    Metric as are SAKO / Tikka , CZ . If you have to ship to get work done you might want to sell it & buy what you want .
    Lol ya just listed it

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just had a Bartlein chambered in 284 Winchester threaded for my Tikka. This action started as a 308. The stock started with short action bottom metal but I recently bought long action bottom metal for the 284. A buddy of mine was able to take a nice 5X5 elk with it last week. 162 grain ELDX going 3000 FPS. I was around 2900FPS when loaded to SA length. These mid sized actions are great

Latest posts

Top Bottom