• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wanting to transition my grandson from rifle to using a handgun too. Would like a .22 similar to a K frame Smith & Wesson - no cowboy style revolver.

If you have anything that would fit my wants please let me know. Thanks.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Capitol Pawn on Pace Blvd had a S&W Model 17 (K-22) the other day when I was in there.
    I believe the price was $650.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Welldoya, you seem pretty knowledgeable on the Model 17. Do you have one or a similar .22 revolver? If so what do you have? Is the price of the Model 17 worth it? Especially for a first time young shooter?
    I have seen a Taurus Model 94 that is fairly inexpensive, however, they do not seem to have very good reviews (mostly about the trigger).

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Welldoya, you seem pretty knowledgeable on the Model 17. Do you have one or a similar .22 revolver? If so what do you have? Is the price of the Model 17 worth it? Especially for a first time young shooter?
    I have seen a Taurus Model 94 that is fairly inexpensive, however, they do not seem to have very good reviews (mostly about the trigger).

you buy him a model 17 and he'll be able to pass it down to his grandkids! my personal 17 has more rounds down range than I can count. was given to me by an old friend who shot it at least once a week for decades. I shoot it as often as possible and its still accurate as ever... worth every penny if you can afford it.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    The Model 18 is a 4” and the Model 17 is usually a 6” but every once in a while you will see an 8 3/8” or a 4”.
    I’ve got a Model 17 that I bought new for $145 in 1975. They are fine guns.
    The only .22 revolver that I’ve personally owned that’s close is a Colt Trooper and they are a little bigger and more $ than a 17.
    If you can find a decent deal I think they are worth it, especially if you want to give your son something he can keep a lifetime.
    But if you just want something he can kick around with and not worry about beating up, there are cheaper options like maybe an old High Standard Sentinel or one of the H&Rs.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom