• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    I just picked up a Rock Island Compact 1911 off Gunbroker.
    The area around grip safety is very uncomfortable. There are no sharp edges, it needs a blending job.
    My Colt and Springfields (full size) do not have this problem.
    Might as well put new sights as well.
    Any 1911 gunsmiths in the Crestview, Milton, FWB, or Pensacola area you all would recommend.Thanks

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If you are alluding to Ubers lock & safe, I wouldn't let their gunsmith work on a Lego set!!
    Gunsmith on Garden Street isn't Uber's. He's an old guy, does great work, but he's usually pretty busy and last time I took a gun to him, it took almost 3 months to get back from a minor repair. He was just busy, in poor health, and is of advanced age.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Thanks guys, just back from the range, the web of my hand got punished after 50 rds. Looks like the beaver tail grip safety is at fault.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The issue I had with oak ridge was the wait time. But if you’re good I guess word gets out lol. I’ve got a little over 40 yrs on the 1911 platform myself. What model is it? Is it a true beaver tail with an upsweep at the end where the hammer is nestled when at full cock? Thin grips or wide? Mainspring housing arched or flat?

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    The issue I had with oak ridge was the wait time. But if you’re good I guess word gets out lol. I’ve got a little over 40 yrs on the 1911 platform myself. What model is it? Is it a true beaver tail with an upsweep at the end where the hammer is nestled when at full cock? Thin grips or wide? Mainspring housing arched or flat?
    Not to hijack the OP’s thread, but I’m also looking for a 1911 gunsmith..I have a Colt Gold Cup National match, in which someone installed the wrong trigger in it (a regular 1911 width trigger). I’d love to install a correct gold cup width trigger in it, preferably with the short pad. Is this a difficult task?

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not to hijack the OP’s thread, but I’m also looking for a 1911 gunsmith..I have a Colt Gold Cup National match, in which someone installed the wrong trigger in it (a regular 1911 width trigger). I’d love to install a correct gold cup width trigger in it, preferably with the short pad. Is this a difficult task?

a lot of assembly and disassembly is involved for a good trigger fit depending on the trigger brand. some are purposely built oversized for the least amount of play. The over travel screw (if equipped) will also need to be properly adjusted.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks guys, just back from the range, the web of my hand got punished after 50 rds. Looks like the beaver tail grip safety is at fault.

sometimes the rear of the thumb safety have a sharp edge and can be uncomfortable when shooting high grip, thumb over safety. is this not the case for you?

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mark @ Greener Fields in Foley , AL . Ex LE & personally carries a 1911 . I'd say he knows his way around one . Every time I've tried to pin Eric down as to what he will / can do on a 1911 the convo gets stalled . I know Oak Ridge doesn't have any machining capability , no lathe or milling machine , no surface grinder , no drilling / tapping . Quite a bit of 1911 work can be done with files by hand & of course the DIY fix the Dremel Tool . Actually fitting a beavertail does involve some grinding & sanding to blend in . IMHO the best trigger for a Gold Cup is the Dlask . Its magnesium shoe , stainless bow , comes polished , just fit the shoe to frame cut out , set overtravel . Best part is you can get rid of the steel trigger , sear assist spring crap , run a std Gov't model sear . With heavy steel trigger you needed all that to avoid " sear bounce " & having an AD when dropping slide .

Last edited:

HRagas

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Bussey Gun Works and Defense in milton is the best at 1911 work. 850 450 6101

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mark @ Greener Fields in Foley , AL . Ex LE & personally carries a 1911 . I'd say he knows his way around one . Every time I've tried to pin Eric down as to what he will / can do on a 1911 the convo gets stalled . I know Oak Ridge doesn't have any machining capability , no lathe or milling machine , no surface grinder , no drilling / tapping . Quite a bit of 1911 work can be done with files by hand & of course the DIY fix the Dremel Tool . Actually fitting a beavertail does involve some grinding & sanding to blend in . IMHO the best trigger for a Gold Cup is the Dlask . Its magnesium shoe , stainless bow , comes polished , just fit the shoe to frame cut out , set overtravel . Best part is you can get rid of the steel trigger , sear assist spring crap , run a std Gov't model sear . With heavy steel trigger you needed all that to avoid " sear bounce " & having an AD when dropping slide .
    Yeah, I’ve heard that Dlask triggers are amazing if you can get them installed properly, but I’ve heard horror stories about trying to install them. I wish that the previous owner had not switched out the trigger on my GC. I think the trigger installed is actually a later GC trigger, but my GC is the earlier model designed for the wider pad, so there is side to side slop with the narrow pad. Ive heard that the Wilson combat or EGW triggers are easier to install.

F4E Phantom

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    It’s a beaver tail and flat mainspring housing. Weird thing is my other 1911’s are the same, but this one bites.
    May just replace grip safety.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I call Cylinder and Slide. Bill and his minions are probably in the top 10 nationally.

I don’t know if they still do it, but I have also sent 1911’s to Wilson Combat with excellent results.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom