• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If steel was put on the plinking range, I think it would have to be against the berm (35 yds), because of backsplatter and deflection issues. The targets would have to be AR500. The entire plinking range would have to be limited to calibers firing no more than 2700 fps . . Maybe 2500 fps. No 5.56 ARs, etc. So the new club rules would be don't move the steel. Don't fire cartridges of over 2700 fps on the 35 yd berm. Remove damaged plate from the range immediately. On the shorter berm (15 yds) the additional club rule would be pistol cartridges only. The plates there would be against the berm as well - -I expect AR500 there would do OK unless someone got into them with a rifle. What do you think of that?

On the 300 yd range, that is simply a matter of asking the board to change the rule. I don't know why it was limited to that distance. Might be the Win Mag target damage issue.
    Since I like to shoot steel I am more than willing for it to be discussed. I would want to hear all of relevant information.
    A big issue is plate thickness and the quality of the plate. I have oneAR500 plae that when struck on the edges deformed indicating the plate lost some temper when it was being cut. I should have demanded my money back from the vendor.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If we put steel on the plinking range, we probably ought to require eye protection there, too.

The rule currently is: --- Eye protection is strongly recommended, ear protection is required. Children under 16 years old are required to wear eye and ear protection in the firing areas.---

Maybe put a bin with safety glasses at the west end of the range so that people coming through to use the rest room can cover.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    In general (MY opinion) steel at close range is not do-able unless supervised. Just ask JJ about the people that ruined his close range steel by shooting rifles with inappropriate bullets at inappropriate velocity at it when he wasn't looking. When my "Wednesday and Sunday" group puts out steel, we keep others from shooting at the plate without permission and knowing that the cartridge and velocity and bullet make-up is safe to do so. We want no damage to the steel or to the shooters.

As previously posted, I use frangible bullets for rifles for close range steel. Even though using frangibles, we also reduce the velocity. For example, the 30 cal frangibles are in the 1500-1700fps range for "high velocity" and subsonic for when using a suppressor. 30 cal frangibles (pulled M160) are made from compressed bakelite powder and lead powder. .223 frangibles (pulled MK311 MOD 0) have a thin jacket and compressed copper dust inside. .355 frangibles are all compressed copper dust.

I am careful to let strangers know I'm shooting frangibles out of the AR, lest they think one can shoot regular .223 bullets at steel that close.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In general (MY opinion) steel at close range is not do-able unless supervised. Just ask JJ about the people that ruined his close range steel by shooting rifles with inappropriate bullets at inappropriate velocity at it when he wasn't looking. When my "Wednesday and Sunday" group puts out steel, we keep others from shooting at the plate without permission and knowing that the cartridge and velocity and bullet make-up is safe to do so. We want no damage to the steel or to the shooters.

As previously posted, I use frangible bullets for rifles for close range steel. Even though using frangibles, we also reduce the velocity. For example, the 30 cal frangibles are in the 1500-1700fps range for "high velocity" and subsonic for when using a suppressor. 30 cal frangibles (pulled M160) are made from compressed bakelite powder and lead powder. .223 frangibles (pulled MK311 MOD 0) have a thin jacket and compressed copper dust inside. .355 frangibles are all compressed copper dust.

I am careful to let strangers know I'm shooting frangibles out of the AR, lest they think one can shoot regular .223 bullets at steel that close.
    I am definitely interested in the frangible bullets perhaps in a separate thread. It sounds like you are shooting the 30 cal in a 300 blk out. Are cast bullets considered frangible?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I am definitely interested in the frangible bullets perhaps in a separate thread. It sounds like you are shooting the 30 cal in a 300 blk out. Are cast bullets considered frangible?

See Frangible Bullets in the Reloading subforum.

Regarding are cast bullet considered frangible? I do not think so, although they generally go flat and drop to the ground when hitting steel. I know they can go back towards the firing line if they hit a divot in the steel just right, cause I was hit with one in the chest. Thus steel with divots is considered unsafe.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See Frangible Bullets in the Reloading subforum.

Regarding are cast bullet considered frangible? I do not think so, although they generally go flat and drop to the ground when hitting steel. I know they can go back towards the firing line if they hit a divot in the steel just right, cause I was hit with one in the chest. Thus steel with divots is considered unsafe.
    I know of a case where a lead projectile from an old fashion lightly loaded commercial .44 special hit a popper. rebounded upward and high coming down on a firing line roof to roll unto the ground. When picked up it was warm. When firing years ago .22 cal lead balls out of crossman pellet gun, I had one come back after hitting a concrete block wall. So that is why I ask because of these observations. I have also been hit by 9mm jacket fragments rebounding from an indoor range. Perhaps if the lead is going fast enough it would splatter and not come back in a chunk.

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know of a case where a lead projectile from an old fashion lightly loaded commercial .44 special hit a popper. rebounded upward and high coming down on a firing line roof to roll unto the ground. When picked up it was warm. When firing years ago .22 cal lead balls out of crossman pellet gun, I had one come back after hitting a concrete block wall. So that is why I ask because of these observations. I have also been hit by 9mm jacket fragments rebounding from an indoor range. Perhaps if the lead is going fast enough it would splatter and not come back in a chunk.

Frag is always an issue. I've the years I've been hit countless times. Caught a full 9mm in the shoulder from an adjacent bay. Had about 1/3 of a .44 cast bullet pulled from my back about 30 years ago. Know of a couple serious injuries.

Hard to enforce caliber/range restrictions without an on site RSO.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We'll have a match this Saturday starting at 9 am. Pistols and rifles that don't damage the targets and are being handled safely are welcome. Distances are 25, 50, 75 and 100 m for the .22 (3/8 scale) and Field Pistol (1/2 scale) targets. 50, 100, 150 and 200 m for the Big Bore (full scale and heavy 1/2 scale targets). .22 is fired with .22 LR, Field Pistol is fired with straight-wall pistol cartridges and Big Bore is fired with straight wall or bottleneck cartridges up to about 2500 fps, subject to not doing target damage.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are firing these matches now at PRPC on the first Saturdays at 9 am and on the third Thursdays at 1 pm. Reminders are on the calendar on the Pensacola Rifle and Pistol Club website. Pistols and Rifles in .22 LR are most commonly used. Next match is this Saturday, 1 June.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Next Silhouette match at PRPC is Saturday, September 7 at 9 AM.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    We are firing these matches now at PRPC on the first Saturdays at 9 am and on the third Thursdays at 1 pm. Reminders are on the calendar on the Pensacola Rifle and Pistol Club website. Pistols and Rifles in .22 LR are most commonly used. Next match is this Saturday, 1 June.

That's this Thursday, bring out your 10-22s/ tree rat aka squirrel rifles, or your "thirdy-thridy " aka 30-30 deer rifles, your "wheel guns" , good practice if you plan to hunt with one. Also any center fire rifle shooting cast bullets.
    OH !!, you have to shoot like a man, on your hind legs, aka , standing

Top Bottom