• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tank1949

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tula can be under powered and not cycle some guns. Had that happen with me and Tula before!

I stick with brass cased US made ammo in my .308 AR platform rifle! Only problems I have ever had is when using import ammo in my .308 AR.

Amen! Bolt is not coming 100% back for some reason and it is usually due to lack of pressure. I don't know if weapon has an adjustable gas system. If it did, I'd certainly look there. My AR 15s do not. I mostly shoot reloads and have only experienced cycling issues when working up loads. The bolt doesn't have to come completely back to eject empty brass but it must come completely back and past magazine in order to rechamber new round. I suspect crappy ammo too. I'd buy some Federal premium 165/8 in 308. If they fail, owner needs to send back rifle!

My M1A will shoot 150s and 168 Federals real good.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You pick up a DPMS .308?

Really stinks when a new gun does not work out of the box. Hopefully they will fix it up for you.

My DPMS LR-308 has been nothing but reliable with good ammo. I stuck some Russian steel in it once thinking I could plink with something cheaper. Had a few failure to feed. Stayed away from cheaper steel imports ever since.
    I did...… it shot just fine this morning. I was hitting clay pigeons (not in the air lol ) at 125 yards... I mixed in Brass and steel case ammo in the same mag, and the gun didn't even burp... lol I don't think it knew...

The S&W is still going back.... I'm sure they will fix it, but I just wanted it to be right out of the box....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You pick up a DPMS .308?

Really stinks when a new gun does not work out of the box. Hopefully they will fix it up for you.

My DPMS LR-308 has been nothing but reliable with good ammo. I stuck some Russian steel in it once thinking I could plink with something cheaper. Had a few failure to feed. Stayed away from cheaper steel imports ever since.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I did, yes, I ran brass and a few rounds of steel in the S&W, its going to fedex later today for its return trip. The DPMS worked like a champ. I guess I'll have 2 308's lol I have several of the same caliber rifles around here, what's one more... My Son will have a nice collection someday....

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got a S & W Ar-10 runs great,, This why I don't try and fix one on the internet. Should take about 30 mins to figure this out Just my 5 cents jj

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah . . . really . . . REALLY . . . do not understand why you would send this back.
    There are quite a few things to check,things to tweak,things to change,to narrow down the problem. This,without having any "void the warranty" problems.
    FOR ME - - -> To "send it back" would be the absolute last resort.
    Good Luck ---- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah . . . really . . . REALLY . . . do not understand why you would send this back.
    There are quite a few things to check,things to tweak,things to change,to narrow down the problem. This,without having any "void the warranty" problems.
    FOR ME - - -> To "send it back" would be the absolute last resort.
    Good Luck ---- SAWMAN

I was tired of messing with it. :)

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a similar experience to Rumbl's customer with the incorrect spring in a factory buffer kit from Aero. Too much spring caused similar issues and gave me similar damage to the shells. Swapped out the spring from a different lower, problem solved. That was after trying adjustable gas block(it was already installed), different ammo, different mag etc.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Update, well I sent the AR-10 back to S&W, well it arrived back home this afternoon. there was some paperwork in the box, but nothing was filled out. I have not a CLUE as to what they did to the gun, if anything. I guess I'll have to make it to the range and see if there anything different in the operation. Things that make you go Hummmm.... :)

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Right back in the box they sent it to me in.... Its going back, first three rounds fired and cycled just fine, then Jams, stove pipes and short strokes..... Same as before.... Its going back again this week.... I'm losing confidence in Smith & Wesson. I think this ones a lemon.....

if they can't or wont fix it, I asked them for a new rifle, or refund my money.... lol we'll see how that goes....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Doubtful that they will send you any paperwork with what was done to the weapon. If they do,that is admitting that it was screwed up from the beginning.
    I have sent guns back before. All that I got back with the weapon was checked this and that,and how well it works now. ---- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, after what seemed like a LONG wait, my S&W AR-10 arrived back home yesterday from S&W. Went to the range with a box of shells and the thing worked flawlessly for 20 rounds. I should have taken a second box, but I will next time. 20 in and 20 out. They replaced the complete upper this time. seems to work fine...

Now.... which 308 AR-10 should I keep, the DPMS or the S&W? Both work great now, but don't really need 2 308's..... thoughts?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Keep them both.... I have 7 308s! Lol the more the merrier! Glad they finally got it sorted out for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Keep them both.... I have 7 308s! Lol the more the merrier! Glad they finally got it sorted out for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7??? lol you've got a problem.... lol was thinking about selling one and putting the $$ towards something else...

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I'm glad you got it worked out. Having "too many" guns is a good thing, but personally I would have just gone with the DPMS from the start. Mine has run flawlessly from day one and I don't believe I've ever fired a factory round in it. If I did fire factory ammo I'd definitely stick with USA-made. I know S&W makes good guns (and I own some), but I personally just never warmed up to the idea of them making ARs...just seemed odd to me for whatever reason. JMO

Top Bottom