• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Here is what we need to do - - -> try some kind of way to get him and jj both in on a project. Then tap into that expelled energy and run the lights in all our homes indefinitely.
    OR - - -> members that have been to both places need to rate their shops on a 1 -10 scale. Categories would include: 1. Overall Cleanliness 2. How deep the metal shavings are on the floor. 3. How much oil is leaking from their machines. 4. Legible machanical drawings on premises. 5. How much grease on walls of shop. 6. Who has the most inadequate lighting. 7. Who states their opinions with the most "enthusiasm". 8. Who wears the most authentic "machinists clothes". 9. Who has the best pocket protector with the oldest and most unreadable vernier calipers stuck in it. 10. And last but definately not least -> Who is the best gunsmith/machinist in the entire universe.
    On this last question . . . it has been narrowed down to just these two shops and members can only vote for one. PERIOD !! --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot two rds of 3",#4 buck and two rds of 3","000" buck out of my gun. That is about all you can hang on to. Hard to target with the expected recoil and blast over pressure. --- SAWMAN
    I do not own one of these, but the recoil consideration has been an issue for me. Gabe Suarez pushes the Remington version of it with a sort of muzzle break and number #4 buckshot and i think he is using a reduced powder loading, but not sure of that. I would go with this set up in 20 ga. The Suarez people again with slugs are making hits IIRC at 100 yards. He also hits steel with a decent AK at 600 yards. But for those of us with average skills such performance is not so likely or practical.
    For right now I will pass on this and best of luck of course to those that want it. I could see an adjustable choke for a light wt, highly compact survival gun carried in a bugout bag intended to bag game with birdshot. But other wise I am not so interested at the moment.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I do not own one of these, but the recoil consideration has been an issue for me. Gabe Suarez pushes the Remington version of it with a sort of muzzle break and number #4 buckshot and i think he is using a reduced powder loading, but not sure of that. I would go with this set up in 20 ga. The Suarez people again with slugs are making hits IIRC at 100 yards. He also hits steel with a decent AK at 600 yards. But for those of us with average skills such performance is not so likely or practical.
    For right now I will pass on this and best of luck of course to those that want it. I could see an adjustable choke for a light wt, highly compact survival gun carried in a bugout bag intended to bag game with birdshot. But other wise I am not so interested at the moment.

For the Shockwave, get an OpSol Adapter and run Aguilla Mini-shells (buck and slug) in it. That was my plan before my brother talked me outta mine! It ran smooth with low recoil, and held 9 shells IIRC. If I do not end up moving to NC, I will have another.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the Shockwave, get an OpSol Adapter and run Aguilla Mini-shells (buck and slug) in it. That was my plan before my brother talked me outta mine! It ran smooth with low recoil, and held 9 shells IIRC. If I do not end up moving to NC, I will have another.
    The minishells are quite attractive. Just how reliable was the OpSol Adapter with the mini-shells. Sometimes mini-shells are hard to find locally. So is it practical to cut down normal length shells to load your own mini-shells?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of those that push this gun employ a modification that allows one extra shell and like in the TV series the Rifleman are continually reloading the gun while in action by slipping a round or two in to top it off. While one can learn to do that, I do not want to take the time to learn that technique. Some companies are now making for various shotguns huge clumsy box mags which are not really practical. If they ever designed a rotary or spool type system mag in 20 gauge holding 5 round clips that could also be topped off or simply replaced I would be interested. Would require too much original thinking for the modern gun manufacturers to do.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    The minishells are quite attractive. Just how reliable was the OpSol Adapter with the mini-shells. Sometimes mini-shells are hard to find locally. So is it practical to cut down normal length shells to load your own mini-shells?

In my experience and research the OpSol adapter is very reliable. Minis are available at Buck and Bass and the newly opened Gander Outdoors stores now. Gander has the better price....that felt odd to write. LOL

Cutting "normal" shells would not work as they are loaded with full size shot cups and the only way to reduce length would be to remove those and removal of internals would affect their function (shot patterning) I would think. Besides, I would not want to have to use it, and then have to explain the use of "modified" ammunition. That would be a problem I would think.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There is a thread about the 14 inchers (Rem & Moss) that was started quite a while back.
    The thread has a lot of good info in it re. these two guns,loads,reliability,mods,etc,etc.
    Take a look.
    Would also add . . . my Moss is still shooting great and I have put about 200 rds thru it so far. About 1/3rd of those have been the mini shells using the OPSOL adaptor.
    My gun will hold 10 shots BTW. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my experience and research the OpSol adapter is very reliable. Minis are available at Buck and Bass and the newly opened Gander Outdoors stores now. Gander has the better price....that felt odd to write. LOL

Cutting "normal" shells would not work as they are loaded with full size shot cups and the only way to reduce length would be to remove those and removal of internals would affect their function (shot patterning) I would think. Besides, I would not want to have to use it, and then have to explain the use of "modified" ammunition. That would be a problem I would think.
    I have not look at shells lately, but it think it was the pink red AA shells that had almost nothing in the way of a base wad. But if one can not reload them, for now it appears that the only source of loaded mini-shells is from mexico and I know several years ago they were not easy for me to find. On regular shells I have no idea if it is safe to remove some of the base wad material.

base wad1.jpg

Not all over power wads are thick and some shotcups also have thin bases. There was a time when these were made from cardboard.

Attachments

• base wad1.jpg
      base wad1.jpg
      8.2 KB · Views: 228
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At Gander the Mini buck was $14. for 20.
    Cheap enough for me not to have to mess with the other stuff. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Back when I was there they had approx. 20 bxs on display. Most of it was buck with a few slugs mixed in. Unknown how much they had in back.
    Aguila puts this out every so often but not constantly. Anytime that you find it for <$.80 per shot,you should buy it.
    I bought two bxs of buck the last time in. I have about 8 bxs of buck,4 bxs of #7.5 shot,and two bxs of slugs.
    My single shot shoots the slugs fine (and accurately) but my Shockwave does not. They leave a sootie residue throughout the action. I will not shoot any more thru my gun.
    Also - - -> I have bought and tried quite a few different light 2.75",12ga loads in my gun. Nothing (by far) is as fast as the Mini Shells. This,due to the reduced recoil. A 12ga shooting the Mini's would be much faster than the 20ga version IMO.
    Still lovin' (and carring) my little gun. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom