• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magikarp117

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I picked up a Mak in 380 and I need to buy more mags will they fit in standard 9x18 magazine?

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The ammo will fit but not sure if the mags will fit or function in pistol. I went on forum to see if you could use XD40 mags in and XD9 and most said they work fine with one exception but don't remember what that was. -:) So try google to see if someone discussed in a forum somewhere.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why not see if .380 will manually feed with the 9mm mak barrel and mag. I have read for manual ejection the .380 may slip off the extractor, but that will not happen with a .380 barrel. If you fire .380 in the mak barrel the cases will bulge out.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So I picked up a Mak in 380 and I need to buy more mags will they fit in standard 9x18 magazine?

They’re the same magazine for both calibers, it works fine.
    I think the only differences between the two pistols is the barrel and recoil spring. I don’t think they even changed the extractor.

I found my 380 makarov liked fiochi and hornady critical defense, but would sometimes stove pipe with blazer, Remington and Winchester fmj.

Great little guns in either chamber.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the only differences between the two pistols is the barrel and recoil spring. I don’t think they even changed the extractor.

I found my 380 makarov liked fiochi and hornady critical defense, but would sometimes stove pipe with blazer, Remington and Winchester fmj.

Here is an old story of a mak used to kill a Fed prosecutor that was the focus of an unsuccessful massive search.

The gun, an Eastern European-made semiautomatic pistol called a Makarov, had been fitted with a replacement barrel that leaves telltale marks on bullets. The search, one of the most laborious gun sweeps in FBI history, is taking place in all 50 states, as agents track down more than 3,500 barrels sold to gun owners and dealers.
    ...........The Minnesota company, Federal Arms Corporation, received a federal grand-jury subpoena for the names of all customers who bought the custom gun barrels before Wales' death, company president and owner Tim Gow said yesterday.
    The gun search began after spent casings were recovered outside Wales' home. The casings contained distinctive marks identifying the weapon as a Makarov pistol, sources said.

Further, several bullet slugs removed from Wales' body and from the scene were traced to the type of replacement barrels made only by Federal Arms.

These recovered slugs displayed rifling marks, "lands and grooves" left as the bullet passes through the barrel. Those marks identified the barrel as a replacement instead of the original Makarov barrel.

The Makarov, a rare collector's item until after the fall of the Soviet Union, requires an unusual size of bullet. Many owners modify the weapon so they can use common, less-expensive ammunition.

Wales, however, was shot with .380-caliber bullets fired through the slightly larger 9-mm replacement barrel.
    A national firearms expert, Lucien Haag, of Carefree, Ariz., who has conducted tests on .380-caliber bullets fired in a 9-mm Makarov, said "the strong likelihood is you'd never be able to match" the mismatched rounds to the murder weapon, even if it were found.

But with the recovered casings, he said, "you should be able to match it."

FBI agents began the search last fall and have tracked down hundreds of people who bought the barrels directly from Federal Arms or from dealers.

Dealers have been asked to provide the names of customers from sales records.

But the task has been complicated because dealers are not required to keep sales records for gun parts. Under federal law, dealers are required only to keep records of gun sales.

Every pistol and barrel obtained by agents is being test-fired, and the bullets are sent to the FBI lab in Washington, D.C.

Owners of the barrels are being eliminated one by one in hopes of narrowing the pool to a small group that can be investigated in depth.

Agents hope the gun can be found but believe it has already been disposed of. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030717&slug=wales17

The FBI has found evidence strongly suggesting that the fatal shooting of Seattle federal prosecutor Thomas Wales in 2001 involved a conspiracy and a hired gunman, according to an FBI official familiar with the investigation.

Agents had pursued a single-shooter theory in the case and focused on a former Bellevue-area airline pilot who has long been a leading suspect in the shooting.

While agents continue to look at all leads that remain in the 16-year-old investigation, they are reviewing possible ties between the pilot and a small circle of people who agents suspect were involved in the killing, the FBI official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the investigation.

The official said there is a “very small group” of people who know what happened. “They never talk about it,” the official said. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...bly-killed-by-hired-gunman-fbi-official-says/

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Here is an old story of a mak used to kill a Fed prosecutor that was the focus of an unsuccessful massive search.

The gun, an Eastern European-made semiautomatic pistol called a Makarov, had been fitted with a replacement barrel that leaves telltale marks on bullets. The search, one of the most laborious gun sweeps in FBI history, is taking place in all 50 states, as agents track down more than 3,500 barrels sold to gun owners and dealers.
    ...........The Minnesota company, Federal Arms Corporation, received a federal grand-jury subpoena for the names of all customers who bought the custom gun barrels before Wales' death, company president and owner Tim Gow said yesterday.
    The gun search began after spent casings were recovered outside Wales' home. The casings contained distinctive marks identifying the weapon as a Makarov pistol, sources said.

Further, several bullet slugs removed from Wales' body and from the scene were traced to the type of replacement barrels made only by Federal Arms.

These recovered slugs displayed rifling marks, "lands and grooves" left as the bullet passes through the barrel. Those marks identified the barrel as a replacement instead of the original Makarov barrel.

The Makarov, a rare collector's item until after the fall of the Soviet Union, requires an unusual size of bullet. Many owners modify the weapon so they can use common, less-expensive ammunition.

Wales, however, was shot with .380-caliber bullets fired through the slightly larger 9-mm replacement barrel.
    A national firearms expert, Lucien Haag, of Carefree, Ariz., who has conducted tests on .380-caliber bullets fired in a 9-mm Makarov, said "the strong likelihood is you'd never be able to match" the mismatched rounds to the murder weapon, even if it were found.

But with the recovered casings, he said, "you should be able to match it."

FBI agents began the search last fall and have tracked down hundreds of people who bought the barrels directly from Federal Arms or from dealers.

Dealers have been asked to provide the names of customers from sales records.

But the task has been complicated because dealers are not required to keep sales records for gun parts. Under federal law, dealers are required only to keep records of gun sales.

Every pistol and barrel obtained by agents is being test-fired, and the bullets are sent to the FBI lab in Washington, D.C.

Owners of the barrels are being eliminated one by one in hopes of narrowing the pool to a small group that can be investigated in depth.

Agents hope the gun can be found but believe it has already been disposed of. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030717&slug=wales17

The FBI has found evidence strongly suggesting that the fatal shooting of Seattle federal prosecutor Thomas Wales in 2001 involved a conspiracy and a hired gunman, according to an FBI official familiar with the investigation.

Agents had pursued a single-shooter theory in the case and focused on a former Bellevue-area airline pilot who has long been a leading suspect in the shooting.

While agents continue to look at all leads that remain in the 16-year-old investigation, they are reviewing possible ties between the pilot and a small circle of people who agents suspect were involved in the killing, the FBI official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the investigation.

The official said there is a “very small group” of people who know what happened. “They never talk about it,” the official said. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...bly-killed-by-hired-gunman-fbi-official-says/

Top Bottom