• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I just stumbled across this while looking for a red ar furniture kit for my sisters crimson tide Ar that me and my cousin are putting together for her christmas present... this is a new concept to me, ive never heard of it. it looks simple and very cool. reaseach says its durable as hell also. im gonna give it a shot on some p-mags, and see what happens. I've been sprayin dura/ceracote for quite a while... anyone done this??? If it works it is the cheapest alternative to coloring plastic...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/4...looks_like_FDE_is_the_best_host__SUMMARY.html

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    have been seeing this for a lil while now. Seems legit. Will need to start with FDE (I think) to achieve other colors. Keep a watch on your temperature and your time in dye bath for consistent results.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used it years ago [ Rit red liquid ] on some AK wood and over time it faded plus it also made the metal it touched rust as if it has salt in it.
    never again for me , now I use cherry or mahogany stain

just passing on my experience

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im refinishing my old beat up Marlin 60W wood stock. I was trying to find a cheap red stain for it. Finally, I noticed some food coloring at Winn-Dixe on sale and grabbed it. Believe it or not the stain turned out great. I still have to TRU oil it and touch up some spots on the barrel but the stock has great color and the wood grain is still visible. Never thought about using RITS dye..

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't you just hate when this happens ?

no it is not a murder scene , this is Rit red dye that I dumped. if you use it on wood it will always leach salt and rust your gun long after the red has faded. that is my story and I am sticking with it !!!

bld.jpg

Attachments

• bld.jpg
      bld.jpg
      107 KB · Views: 140
    Top Bottom