• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have ever read We Were Soldiers Once and Young you should read the follow-up book We Are Soldiers Still by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. It is the story about Hal Moore, then a retired Lt General taking a group of his men from LZ X-Ray back to South Vietnam and into North Vietnam to meet the men they fought against. It is an interesting study in the different military cultures and the effect of war on both sides during and after a conflict.

One of the very poignant moments in the book is when they were in Hanoi, all seated at a banquet table, alternating, NVA officer, American, NVA, etc. A NVA Colonel during the meal asks the American sitting next to him: What rank were you during the battle. I was a Sargent. What did you do during the battle: I was a machine gunner. Where were you during the battle: I was a machine gunner overlooking the dry creek bed. The NVA Colonel gasped and exclaimed, "You killed my entire battalion."

Hal Moore is a very impressive man, he re-wrote the training manual for basic training, changing the emphasis from training through fear and intimidation (Patton Method) to training through leadership, love and respect. He was an instructor at West Point and his students, his disciples, are the who's who list of modern US Generals, in the modern US Army. One General in particular regarded Moore as his personal hero and the man that taught him the most about leadership, Norman Schwarzkopf. Hal Moore is regarded as the most influential General in the US Army in the last 50 years.
    Ed

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im more into survival stuff than military stuff, but off the top of my head:
    Into thin Air - Jon Krakauer the 96 tragedy on Everest.
    Left for Dead - Beck Weathers Again, about the tragedy on Everest but only the 1st half. The second half really goes into his marriage, problems, and recover. Very eye opening for a husband or thinking of being a husband.
    Fearless - Eric Blehm Story of SEAL Adam brown that fought his addictions for years. Was able to get DEVGRU even though all his problems. Real good eye opener for recovering addicts. Nothing is ever the end of the world.
    SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama bin Laden by Chuck Pfarrer - great read. Chuck goes back to Bin Ladens childhood and tells about the "why" he became to hate Americans. And the conflicts (wars) that influenced Bin Laden.
    Terror at Beslan - John Giduck Great book. Really opens your eyes at how vulnerable schools are in the US. He makes an argument of how to fix some problems.

Ive read most the Brad Thor series. I have them somewhere if anyone wants to borrow them. Maybe we can start adding to post what books we have to swap em around. I mostly check out from the library. The Kindle thing is too much a PITA for me.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a book in today from Amazon, "Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley Rawles.

Finished Patriots a while back and though I thought it 'wasn't terrible', I found it to be overly wordy and alot of the dialogue was kinda hokey. Enough so that I decided not to continue further with that series of books.

Then found the hardcover book No Easy Day: The Autobiography of a Navy SEAL in a Goodwill store for a couple of bucks, and it was a pretty good read.

Now back on the apocalyptic theme I'm reading the Survivalist series of books written by Dr. Arthur T Bradley. Just started the third in the series, Judgment Day (currently there are eight books out), and I really like his writing style. Only con would be they are relatively short reads (IMO) with the same characters continuing on in their SHTF world. And while each book "closes out" it's own story, it kinda leads to a "tune in next week" feeling of wanting to know how the overall story is gonna end. Great for the author to sell more books, but not so good for the old-school style reader like me who buys them paperback by paperback. I think though they'd be a worthwhile purchase and interesting read for the kindle readers out there.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have gone the longest I ever remember without starting a new book. This summer has been nuts. I'll check out the Survivalist series as I was plan in on looking at what Amazon has so offer soon. With the time change coming up I'll have a lot more reading time.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "One Year After", the follow-up book to the excellent "One Second After", is currently available in Kindle format for $1.99 at Amazon and Google.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    military psychologist Lt. Col. Dave Grossman about his book "On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society."

DoubleDee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For a riveting story of survival check out "Touching the Void". Two men's thrilling and disastrous climb of the remote and treacherous Siula Grande in Peru. An incredible account of tragedy, friendship and human endurance. Also a movie.

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Threads West: An American Saga by Reid Lance Rosenthal

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    If you have ever read We Were Soldiers Once and Young you should read the follow-up book We Are Soldiers Still by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. It is the story about Hal Moore, then a retired Lt General taking a group of his men from LZ X-Ray back to South Vietnam and into North Vietnam to meet the men they fought against. It is an interesting study in the different military cultures and the effect of war on both sides during and after a conflict.

One of the very poignant moments in the book is when they were in Hanoi, all seated at a banquet table, alternating, NVA officer, American, NVA, etc. A NVA Colonel during the meal asks the American sitting next to him: What rank were you during the battle. I was a Sargent. What did you do during the battle: I was a machine gunner. Where were you during the battle: I was a machine gunner overlooking the dry creek bed. The NVA Colonel gasped and exclaimed, "You killed my entire battalion."

Hal Moore is a very impressive man, he re-wrote the training manual for basic training, changing the emphasis from training through fear and intimidation (Patton Method) to training through leadership, love and respect. He was an instructor at West Point and his students, his disciples, are the who's who list of modern US Generals, in the modern US Army. One General in particular regarded Moore as his personal hero and the man that taught him the most about leadership, Norman Schwarzkopf. Hal Moore is regarded as the most influential General in the US Army in the last 50 years.
    Ed
    Written before the "modern generals" meant that libtard General Milley

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mr. "We were soldiers" landed everybody on top of a whole division of gooks in a tunnel complex and never saw them until they were surrounded and overran. A favorite book of mine about the tunnels is "Tunnels of Cu Chi". By the way, "We were soldiers" is about the Army, granted, but it is held in such high regard as to be on the USMC Commandants suggested reading list too. "Rat 6" by Jack Flowers is another great read about the VC tunnels. I met Jack at a Maine gun show. We hung out for an hour or so. He had a table and was signing and selling books, shaking hands and getting pictures taken. Great guy. He was the first real Vietnam tunnel rat I ever met. Being an experienced land surveyor, I've spent hours and hours and hours climbing thru storm sewers. I've walked whole miles underground in Pensacola after Hurricane Ivan, on a city contract to try and map the storm sewer pipe sizes and directions. I cannot imagine being down there with a sworn enemy shooting at me! I've thumbed thru my signed copy, but don't want to mess it up too bad by diving into it. Gotta find another copy of it that isn't signed
    Screenshot_20220211-192943_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-193009_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-193118_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Caveman94

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Man In The Arena by Eddie Gallagher NSW

I couldn’t put the book down. Think I finished it in 9hrs or so

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You Have the Right to Remain Innocent by James Duane.

I think this may only be available as an e-book, but it is 92 pages worth of valuable information should you ever find yourself being asked questions by law enforcement and/or government agents. Some of the content I was aware of. Other content, wow, you don't know what you don't know. You can Google the title and decide for yourself.

Last edited:

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    This Kind Of War by T. R. Fehrenbach. if there is one book that will give you all the facts, insights and details concerning the Korean War, this is it. When i finished it i felt like i could have given a Ted Talk on the subject. highly recommend.

Top Bottom