• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magikarp117

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where can I go shoot some rounds that isn't a range or near where people are at

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    These days, only safe place is private property with permission. Start popping off rounds on public lands or whatever you're gonna get hassled. Long gone are the days of going to a clay pit or just out in the woods to shoot cans or whatever.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    These days, only safe place is private property with permission. Start popping off rounds on public lands or whatever you're gonna get hassled. Long gone are the days of going to a clay pit or just out in the woods to shoot cans or whatever.

Not to mention, It's illegal to target practice, etc on State Property, ie., Blackwater State Forest which (I think?) includes Water Management Areas (Yellow River and Escambia River).

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Please don't target practice on management land. It's set aside for hunting, and hiking... not for a range day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why not go to a range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are a younger guy and I certainly understand the legalities that back up what you are saying. Many of us here not younger any more and did experience the recreational pleasure of being able to walk a rural landscape with a .22 and do what ever we felt like. The PRPC does have a plinking range that allows a tiny bit of freedom from the square range.
    In the 1970's you could still do this. Someone I know would get on his school bus with his .22 and hand it to the driver to safe guard and then to a teacher so he could right after school go out and hunt and shoot in Cantonment, FL.
    Too many people these days for the same acreage.
    How it used to be
    930b68c43cc39bf21185a4f8664c61db--norman-rockwell-paintings-norman-rockwell-art.jpg

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

remember many rounds spent in the clay pit off fl 292, off gulf bch hwy..good times

even had cops come up when we were shooting, admire our guns and leave..back in the 80's

Magikarp117

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dam I want that people are saying about back in the day, I want to just go out in the woods and just be around nature ranges get old after awhile

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dam I want that people are saying about back in the day, I want to just go out in the woods and just be around nature ranges get old after awhile

For that I can just go to the lower end of my property in the part that is forested on the creek and sit down' to observe nature it is best to be quiet and softly observe and listen. The insects and other little critters are there and if you are quiet the birds will appear. One does not need a rifle to do that. As I get older I do not like killing so much except when absolutely necessary and that includes hunting. Just a choice for me and not to be forced upon others. Water moccasins on the property instantly killed, but not most of the other critters.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

License Requirements

For Alabama residents, a valid hunting, heritage, fishing, or WMA license is required for all range users between the ages of 16-64.
    For nonresidents, a valid WMA license is required for all range users age 16 or older.

Purchasing a license can be done in one of three ways:

Online by clicking here
    By calling 1-888-848-6887
    Visit a retail vendor in your community

Range Regulations

Range is open during daylight hours only (except by permit).

No alcoholic beverages allowed.

Any legal firearm and ammunition, except armor-piercing or tracer, may be used on target range.

Keep all firearms unloaded and muzzles pointed down range when not firing or uncased. Action on uncased guns shall be open when not on the firing line.

All persons are to remain behind the shooter while firing is taking place. No firing shall be allowed while anyone is down range.

All firearms (except as noted below in # 7) shall only be fired from designated stations on the concrete shooting line into the embankment at stationary paper targets, self-healing or metal automatic reset targets. Targets must be placed so shots will impact the embankment into the bottom 5’ of the embankment. Only one person may shoot from each designated location at any given time.

Shotguns with no. 4 shot or smaller may be fired at moving clay targets on designated clay areas only.

All used targets, brass, shotgun hulls, and other trash shall be placed in a garbage can, or removed from the range.

It shall be illegal to violate any posted restriction.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am a FL resident, got the permit online for $20 a year...seems to be little used and really is a nice little range. Take your own targets to clip on a line. Buy your gas and dip in Wing right down the road for a lot less than FL

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a FL resident, got the permit online for $20 a year...seems to be little used and really is a nice little range. Take your own targets to clip on a line. Buy your gas and dip in Wing right down the road for a lot less than FL

I am 20-35 minutes from two ranges. No way I plan to drive up that far from Pace, FL. But if you are closer than it makes good sense.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah that would be an hour for you, 45min for me but shoal River range 10 min from me you shoot thru pipes and it costs alot, just not for me....I can go to Bullet and bones same distance for $15 a day....just info for folks to use or not

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Back in the early 80s my favorite place to shoot was the clay pit next to Pine Forest high school. Also shot quite a bit at the clay pit off of 10 Mile Road on the road that leads to Gulf Power’s Crist plant.
    I even shot a few times on the transmission line off Michigan Ave.
    How times have changed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah that would be an hour for you, 45min for me but shoal River range 10 min from me you shoot thru pipes and it costs alot, just not for me....I can go to Bullet and bones same distance for $15 a day....just info for folks to use or not
    I will have calculate the driving time for me to get there. Google says it is 1 h 6 min (48.4 mi) via County Rd 191/Munson Hwy and Beaver Creek Rd. I think the time estimate is a little optimistic.
    conecuh range.JPG

Attachments

• conecuh range.JPG
      conecuh range.JPG
      125.6 KB · Views: 119

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    route to 31.067389, -86.796306
    conecuh range route.JPG

Attachments

• conecuh range route.JPG
      conecuh range route.JPG
      190.2 KB · Views: 157

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There USED to be areas of Gulf Breeze/Midway that you could get far enough away from humans that nobody would notice or care if you were shooting a .22 in the woods...but these days its all far too populated and some anti-gun nut would most likely call SRSO and they'd break out the chopper to hunt you down ;)

Spent a lot of time in the 80's & 90's hunting north of Ranchette Square when the area north of it was empty and wooded. Now there's a whole subdivision there on Duke Drive. Still a fair chunk of woods between them, but I doubt the kids of today could do what I used to. Thick woods, squirrel heaven...kid with a slingshot, bow, or BB gun could still have a great time! :)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There USED to be areas of Gulf Breeze/Midway that you could get far enough away from humans that nobody would notice or care if you were shooting a .22 in the woods...but these days its all far too populated and some anti-gun nut would most likely call SRSO and they'd break out the chopper to hunt you down ;)

Spent a lot of time in the 80's & 90's hunting north of Ranchette Square when the area north of it was empty and wooded. Now there's a whole subdivision there on Duke Drive. Still a fair chunk of woods between them, but I doubt the kids of today could do what I used to. Thick woods, squirrel heaven...kid with a slingshot, bow, or BB gun could still have a great time! :)

It is a safe bet that someone is out there doing something still. Trouble there will also be people out there meth cooking and maryjane growing.
    Many years ago scenic highway was a prime area to hunt and I talked to cab driver that told me he got lost years ago in the jones swamp that is in warrington. Barr property was somewhere else where you hunt as was the case all over. Lately in the Florida town area of Pace people have been upset over gunfire. It could be someone hunting water fowl or people just banging away in the local wetland there.

Top Bottom