• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Currently have a tempurpedic. Wonder when it was new. Completely wore out in a short time. Their warranty process is a joke.
    Looking at store brands as well as the internet brands(purple, Casper, nectar, tuft and needle)
    Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Looks like their are some hybrid versions that have inner springs inside the foam. That may be the direction I head for longevity
    Thanks

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am going to be replacing our bed also soon, will wait for comments and which ones will not break the bank either..

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's the bad thing with memory foam mattresses. Awesome when new, a pain after a few years. Ours worked wonders with my bad back when new, but over time it ended up being worse for my back than our old traditional mattress was.

You'll probably have to do some serious research and reading on the internet to figure out what is good or bad. That's what I'm having to do......Good luck with your search.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    so the foam loses it cushiony factor and goes flat? I found that in cheap $100 rollout pcs of memory foam

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    So far if found that sleepys is mattress firms house brand. Great when new but longevity is an issue. That's fine. I can get 3 mattresses and have 2 new ones in between than buying one two thousand dollar mattress that's going to really degrade by the time 10 years is up. That's my thinking as of tonight.
    The Simmons beauty rest seems to be the best of the mid priced mattresses(1700-2200)
    Sealy is now a tempur brand, so I won't be buying one of those.
    Serta I comfort seems to be highly regarded. All the locals sell them but the higher line ones are 2500+

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can't recall the NB, but there was one advertised on tv with free delivery and free s/h back if you weren't satisfied within 6 months of using it. Maybe googling you can find it, if they are still offering the deal?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Had an original Tempurpedic. Also felt great when new, but over the years got worse. Started waking up with more back pain. Meanwhile, going on trips, staying in hotels, we'd notice what improved sleep we'd get and how comfortable the mattresses were. Started getting the mattress model info from the mattress tags, or sometimes, since the hotels buy in bulk, the mattresses aren't marked and you have to ask the front desk. Eventually, at home, I was feeling back pain before I even fell asleep. Done with that BS.

Research the models you are interested in, and go to a mattress store to try them out. Mattress Firm's in this part of the Country don't have Purple in the store, but up north they do. One day we might get one of those. For now, we eventually settled on a hybrid (Black Friday mattress in a box special). Springs for support; memory foam up top for comfort. Add a mattress protector padded cover (like the hotels do), and voila: comfortable sleep.

The old Tempurpedic, with the help of a cheap electric carving knife, ended up as a few custom dog beds.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I purchased some expensive foam from walmarts and it has taken a permanent set that fits me very well and I lay in the same spot always. But it depends with what is wrong with your back. I have some inflamed nerves from a whip lash injury. Dr. wanted to completely fuse my lumbar vertebrate. I just started to use the salonplas gel thingies and keeps the ache to a one or less when doing heavy work so far. I can lift and such and just started to do some sprinting. I am completely out shape right now.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I can't recall the NB, but there was one advertised on tv with free delivery and free s/h back if you weren't satisfied within 6 months of using it. Maybe googling you can find it, if they are still offering the deal?

Just about all of them offer 90 to 120 night return policy with the exception of nectar which is one year.
    Read there was a huge lawsuit filed against them[nectar] because they were advertising assembled in USA when they are a china company. Don't want to do business with people like that but it's highly popular with comfort and cheap. Makes me feel like I'm voting democrap. :(

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know that this thred is about memory foam but I just have to say I only go with Sleep Number. I bought an expensive mattress with the foam on top and long story short it lasted about 3 years and then the back pain started. Sleep Number is the only way to go in my book. Check one out .

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I know that this thred is about memory foam but I just have to say I only go with Sleep Number. I bought an expensive mattress with the foam on top and long story short it lasted about 3 years and then the back pain started. Sleep Number is the only way to go in my book. Check one out .

do I dare ask how much those puppies are?

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    do I dare ask how much those puppies are?

I bought the full size with the head elevation feature plus a few other goodies and mine was less than $4000.00. but keep in mind you won't be replacing it every three years. Some nights I wake up and drop the head or change the hardness and sleep like a baby.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    At the end of its useful life, the old Tempurpedic had me "sleeping like a baby", too:

IMG_4448.JPG

:heh: :yo:

Attachments

• IMG_4448.JPG
      IMG_4448.JPG
      50.7 KB · Views: 160

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many of you pay 30K+ for a new car, and spend less than an hour in it per day.
    A mattress that you will spend 1/3rd of your life on should be a substantial investment.
    Don't shortchange yourself with cheap foam mattresses.
    If it costs less than $800, it'll be a mistake. It's that simple.

Don't chump out on the frame, either. You're looking for MULTIPLE support lines.
    At least 5 straight bars between the slats. Preferrably a perfectly flat platform.
    That old H-frame has always been for chumps.
    The only way a figure 8 frame (three center supports) is worthwhile is if you put
    a 1" thick piece of furniture grade plywood between it and the box spring.

Granted I made the purchases separate...first got the perfect steel platform frame...
    then went in search of a serious Support mattress. Downside is that after
    the matt...decided it still needed an additional 2" Latex cushion topper.
    So now, when I lie down, it feels like I'm on a cloud, but still has firm support
    underneath so my back doesn't hurt when I wake up.

So, in the end, especially for us 6'3 gorillas, support is key,
    then intelligent comfort is made specific to our weights with latex...
    which is cushy, but still supportive.

Should easily last 10+ years.

Altho...should be mentioned that skinny people can get away with almost any mattress.
    Anyone less than 150# has it made ;)

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I've got a platform bed with drawers under. Has a puzzle piece of vertical wood under 1/2 plywood. It's a better foundation than box springs, which isn't adequate to support a memory foam type matress. Just got off work. Bout to go shopping now.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    We went to the mattress store at Bloodsworth and Davis hwy across from Academy. Our memory foam/intelligent foam whatever has been great for about 2 yrs now. It's a king size and still doesn't have the "king size hump" that most get from use. For reference, I'm 6'3" and a thinly 250lbs. My back doesn't hurt like it did from previous cheaper mattresses. I think we spent around $1200.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I'm in even worse shape than I was. Went out and laid on everything. At 3 different stores the Stern's and foster was the winner. Here is my delimina. They are now owned by tempur...... Several reviews show accelerated wear and warranty issues. Nothing even came close but the Simmons beauty rest black. These aren't cheap mattresses. 2799 price point. I don't want to pick 2nd best but I also don't want to spend money on what could be another catastrophic experience.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yup. Not inexpensive as a single purchase. But as previously mentioned: you spend one-third of your life laying on it. Break it down by hourly rate, and now the mattress is relatively inexpensive when compared to other items you've bought or use.

Besides, if you can't sleep well, most other things in your life will suffer.

An effective mattress is an investment in your health.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm in even worse shape than I was. Went out and laid on everything. At 3 different stores the Stern's and foster was the winner. Here is my delimina. They are now owned by tempur...... Several reviews show accelerated wear and warranty issues. Nothing even came close but the Simmons beauty rest black. These aren't cheap mattresses. 2799 price point. I don't want to pick 2nd best but I also don't want to spend money on what could be another catastrophic experience.

rounding your price up to $3000, divided by 10 years works out to about .82 per day

still hurts in one lump sum though

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    rounding your price up to $3000, divided by 10 years works out to about .82 per day

still hurts in one lump sum though

Price really isn't a concern at this point. I just hate to buy the one that is most comfortable and have issues. The beauty rest is really nice but that extra pillow top on the Stern's is just icing on the cake, if it doesn't wear out like some of the reviews suggest

Last edited:
    Top Bottom