• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thoughts on mounting of the RMR and similar red dot sights for Glock slides, Milled vs MOS- What are the advantages of each system for concealed carry. The best available holsters are an essential part of this.

Right now I see that the MOS is more versatile less expensive in that you can mount most optics to it, but the mounting is taller. Is that an issue or not.

Most milled slides only accept one foot print and it is lower and is stronger. Being stronger may not be needed in this application.

Thoughts and information greatly appreciated.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the Lone Wolf site.
    Was thinking of getting my Glock20 slide milled for RMR. --- SAWMAN

Often the cost of milling is not much less than an already milled G19 slide from lone wolf. Not sure if lone wolf sells G20 milled slides. But there is a possible issue with QC and that accusation comes from someone that sells expensive 'custom' milled glock slides. So I do not really know.
    I would like to find a local gunsmith that specializes in accurizing glocks and doing good safe trigger work.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got a couple MOS and a couple I've had milled, and some custom slides I've bought. The MOS optic plates bring the footprint to just about where the slide starts to round over at the top. All the ones I've had milled (SAS tactical, lonewolf) or custom slides are the same. So from my experience it doesn't matter as far as milled depth.

I've read on some other forums that the MOS plates come loose. I haven't come across that with any of my MOS, but I use locktite and proper torque as one should. It is extra parts, and extra parts usually raises the probability that something will eventually go wrong.

I think it comes down to either price or if you have a certain optic (other than an RMR footprint) you want to use. You can probably build a pistol with a custom slide cut for the RMR footprint for less or equal to what an MOS cost. But finding custom slides cut for other optics will normally cost you more and may not be cost effective at that point.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wonder if anyone would volunteer to post a list of entities that offer plates, milling, and related accessories.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Third Option: Also available are mounting kits that utilize the factory rear sight groove as the adapter plate mount point. The Sig Romeo 1 can be purchased with a "Kit" of adapter plates for about a dozen different factory slide contours/sight mounts or a single firearm specific adapter. . The Romeo 1 also mounts directly to my Echo Thermal.

This allows a lot of versatility without the expense of milling slides, being locked into one brand of dot that fits that milling/screw pattern or replacing a good gun just for a MOS option. Obviously, removing the rear sight eliminates true co-witness but in some installations taller "suppressor type" sights would be needed also. A taller front sight on a CC handgun may not be desired. Do the slide milling folks provide a cover plate for when the RDS is removed?

When addressing "hight" for different mounting systems you should also consider the RDS "Unit hight" into the final result.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Third Option: Also available are mounting kits that utilize the factory rear sight groove as the adapter plate mount point. The Sig Romeo 1 can be purchased with a "Kit" of adapter plates for about a dozen different factory slide contours/sight mounts or a single firearm specific adapter. . The Romeo 1 also mounts directly to my Echo Thermal.

This allows a lot of versatility without the expense of milling slides, being locked into one brand of dot that fits that milling/screw pattern or replacing a good gun just for a MOS option. Obviously, removing the rear sight eliminates true co-witness but in some installations taller "suppressor type" sights would be needed also. A taller front sight on a CC handgun may not be desired. Do the slide milling folks provide a cover plate for when the RDS is removed?

When addressing "hight" for different mounting systems you should also consider the RDS "Unit hight" into the final result.
    I have such system from Suarez International that I will mount on glock set up with a brace. The increased ht is not an issue since the gun will not be in a holster. I need to make some provision for a safety or carry chamber empty since it will not be holstered.

I also have to buy an RDS. I will try the Holosum since it is less expensive people say it just about as good as an RMR.

Universal-L-Mount_2__62625.1501803067.jpg

Suarez-L-Mount-Universal-Red-Dot-Base_9__13745.1554329853.jpg

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6a85c906ed1382116ff07e71ea7f6861.jpg

This is what the CHPWS plate looks like mounted to a Glock MOS slide, ready for the optic to be mounted.

bcbf5887ac85aae5be0e852016786b89.jpg

This is what the underside of the RMR looks like with a battery installed (date your batteries with a sharpie to track your changes). The 4 posts/recoil bosses of the plate engage those 4 holes in the underside of the optic like they intended. The mount is also tight to the front and rear of the optic body.
    The fit is so good that you don’t need a sealing plate as the plate overhangs the slide slightly with the optic to create a pedestal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It does look secure for sure and they state it is also for the Holosum. It would seem that the milled slide could also be set up with a pair of studs in it up front. Does anyone do that.
    On the battery date it needs to be written somewhere else. If I take the RMR off, I will automatically change out the battery.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know they work pretty well , but I’m still amazed that those sights hold up to all that force. I’ve had regular adjustable sights that broke and they weigh next to nothing. It’s truly amazing to me that they don’t fly off in the first few shots.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Several companies offer these dovetail mounts including trijicon, RCS, and Ducek Defense. Good maybe for guys just wanting to try the optic on a pistol trend out, but they are the weaker option and mount the optic very high.

If you got 70 guys equipped with RMRs you must of had to do a lot of research and I suspect you would have to present some of bidding process to the bean counters and so you have really researched this topic.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can anyone tell me which Optic this setup is for??

GEDC0020.JPG

GEDC0021.JPG

Attachments

• GEDC0020.JPG
      GEDC0020.JPG
      414 KB · Views: 149
    • GEDC0021.JPG
      GEDC0021.JPG
      411.9 KB · Views: 128

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not positive, but I’m gonna guess an Aimpoint ACRO

When I first read about the Aimpoint ACRO I thought it was stupid since its field of view was said to be limited. But while watching inrange it was explained that a closed red dot will not be as easily blocked by mud and such as are the more open designs.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Total optic blockage is not as big a deal as some people make it out to be. I’m just not a fan of the form factor on a pistol either.

And the ACRO battery life is stupid low.

optic blockage is probably not such a big deal for urban carry. But for military and hunting purposes I could see where it might be an issue.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are different models. This is a great price for the Type 2 adjustable LED, which is the better of them. RM06, RM09, RM07

The dual illumination models are much cheaper. Those are the battery free and can suffer from low brightness.

Is this the right one. Yes their price is higher and they claim it is a clearance.
    Screenshot_2020-02-24 Results for rmr type 2 adjustible led - OpticsPlanet.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-24 Results for rmr type 2 adjustible led - OpticsPlanet.png
      Screenshot_2020-02-24 Results for rmr type 2 adjustible led - OpticsPlanet.png
      20.9 KB · Views: 142

bpreston

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is this the right one. Yes their price is higher and they claim it is a clearance.
    View attachment 80769

That is the RM06. Same as I posted from palmetto state. That one may include a mount where the one from PSA doesn’t, but a mount wouldn’t be necessary when it’s going on a pistol.

If it was me the main things I would consider would be adjustable LED, and type 2 RMR. The type two has some internal reliability upgrades, and the adjustable dot is superior to auto adjust and dual illumination in my opinion. Dot size is really just a personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom