• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm looking to buy a heavy barrel .308 or 6.5 for a precision rifle project. Trying to do this on a budget, so looking for something like a Ruger American predator or Savage. Would honestly prefer .308 over 6.5 (as I have ammo and access to reloading gear and a brother who has a stockpile of brass for .308) but I'm not opposed to 6.5 creedmoor. I lean more towards bolt actions but I'm open. Let me know what you have, looking in the below 500 range for just a rifle, but could go higher if the deal is really good.
    And yes, I'm aware that the 6.5 has better bc than .308, and that there are other calibers that are better than either, but it's unlikely that I'll ever go beyond 500 yards and need something I can afford to shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No longer looking. Snagged a Savage 10fp in a Bell & Carlson target stock for a good price. Just gotta slap some glass on it now.
    53ebd52e4ce0a856e69babdeacaed358.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What is that triggers letoff ?? Is that an older "X" trigger ?? Has it been factory modded ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It does have a brake, but not a great one. Has a US flag on the sides so more show than function it seems. Rifling is superb, action is buttery smooth. As for trigger, it's the typical Savage accutriger and is very short and very light. Sitting in a bell and Carlson target stock which was one reason it caught my eye, the stock is around $400 by itself. Caliber is .308, which to me is fine. I don't plan on taking it past 400-500 yards anyway. It's a plinking project more than anything and if I want to later, I can drop a few bills and rebarrel it for 6.5 Creed.

But, for now, my budget is blown. My ex is next in line for payment before I get to think about what optic and bipod I'll drop on it, but I'm trying to keep the whole build under 1k and half of that is already gone, so it's first optic will likely be a cheaper one. Speaking of that, anyone got recommendations for a good optic for a smaller budget? Right now, I'm leaning towards a vortex crossfire ii.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry sir . . no "X" trigger . . It's a Savage.
    My Rem 700 308 has a heavy bbl. It is the TAC model. My choices of bbl length were 16 and 20 inches so I got the 16" for added stiffness and like you,was not gonna be shooting over 600yds.
    My gun's stock was also quickly replaced by a B&C even before I started working up loads. The B&C's are truly "drop in" stocks. The action fit perfectly. NO mods needed.
    I suggest that you stick with 308. It will do anything a 6.5 will do under about 750-800yds. Only about 10% of 6.5C owners have ever shot past there anyway.
    Enjoy that gun sir. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00996.JPG
      DSC00996.JPG
      449.3 KB · Views: 39
    • DSC00999.JPG
      DSC00999.JPG
      526.2 KB · Views: 41

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks Sawman. I've always been a fan of .308 so it's likely what I'll stick with. My brother has all the reloading gear from when we were growing up, so I'll probably make the drive to Mobile to work up some loads at some point but I imagine I'll mostly be playing with factory loads for the most part. It's an 18 inch 1:10 barrel so I'm guessing it will like the 150-165gr bullets the best but it's been 20+ years since I've done any precision shooting.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Also - - -> before you install scope and rings . . take off that base an clean under it with alcohol. Screw threads also.
    Depending on the fit,you might want to lightly lapp the base to the upper receiver. Reinstall dry from alcohol. Make sure the rings are done in the same manner. Your scope should be "dry" also. Torque everything to proper specs.
    Good shootin '. --- SAWMAN

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Again, thanks for the info. This board is a wealth of information.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sawman, did you bed the action at all? I've bedded recoil lugs on other rifles in the past using a bit of Bondo, but those were generally on lower end stocks. Not sure if it would be worth it on the B&C stock. I haven't taken it out of the stock yet only checked to see that the barrel was completely floated using a dollar bill.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> No bedding needed with the B&C stocks. Lift the action out. Notice how it sits into the stock. On the pillars and pads. PERFECT !!
    I would suggest that when replacing the action into the stock - - -> tighten all screws until they touch . . torque the rear one fiest,then the front. Check with B&C for the proper torque rating. Every time you take the action out of the stock,reset and retorque the same . . EVERY TIME.
    Another IMO - - -> if going to Vortex,step up from Crossfire. I have seen quite a few problems with that line of their scopes.
    And with the 10 twist,give the 168-177gr bullets a try also. Can stabilize bigger . . but no need for that weight (length). --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For the money,take a look at the Nikon line of scopes. If you get one,you can use it with their SPOT ON program.
    I bought my first Nikon about 6 months ago and so far,it has been great. It is a 4-18X44 first focal plane and on a long barreled 22-250.
    As stated,for the money I believe that they are superior to the Vortex Crossfire line. --- SAWMAN

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Again, thanks for your wealth of knowledge. The crossfire was one of the optics I was looking at. Another was a Leopold freedom. I'll check out the Nikon

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm not sure that the Leupold Freedom will give you the power setting that you are needing for shooting 500.
    You might want to take a look at the Redfield scopes also. Nowadays they are made by Leupold.
    While we are talking scopes,take a look at the retical offered. You might could prefer one over another. What I really like about my Nikon FFP scope is that I can change the size of the retical with the power setting. As stated,it is a 4X18. However it seems that set on 15-17X gives me the perfect sized retical and enough power. --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have successfully run a Leupold Tactical 4.5-14X40 out to 900...it sure takes a minute to find the strikes :D it was easy @ 600

Top Bottom