• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I find myself in the same position that a lot of folks end up in - has anyone else gone down this road? I have a M&P9 and have never really liked it as much as my G23, but I want to stick to 9mm for IDPA. I originally was thinking about the Apex Tactical Specialties treatment, which would improve the terrible stock trigger but take me out of SSP in IDPA. I am still a beginner in IDPA so shooting in a modified class I will probably keep a solid lock on last place. Not to mention the couple hundred bucks it would take to make this pistol better.

This, combined with the fact that I love my G23, makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better off just getting my own G19 - apparently one of the most popular choices available for a multipurpose strikerfired polymer pistol.
    I would have to install glock night sights as I hate the goalpost sights, but I can still shoot in SSP that way.

I will say, on the home defense standpoint - I have never, ever, had a failure with my G23. I have, however, had 1 or 2 FTE with my M&P9. Most likely ammo related, it was cheap ammo, but still. Never had the cheapest steel case ammo fail in the glock.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a 2.0 M&p that I added the flat aluminum Apex trigger to and I am thinking of doing the same thing. The M&P feels great but I have some other glocks so for mag, holster etc compatibility I am thinking about trying to trade it.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Really comes down to personal preference and performance. The grip angle is different between the two and the M&P is slightly more narrow. I agree, the gen 1 trigger is garbage compared to today's standard. Apex triggers are great but it sounds like you're sold on a g19 and need to sell an M&P.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There’s different gen 1 m&p triggers, also. My brother has a fullsize that has a mushy, crunchy, heavy trigger with faint reset. His compact was a whole lot better, Being not as heavy and smoother. Then my wife got one brand new about a year before the 2.0 came out, and it’s trigger is smoother yet, has a crisp break, and a very audible and tactile reset. Smith did some running changes with the m&p, even changing the barrel and the lock up, and thats before they 2.0’ed.
    All that is to say depending on what m&p you have, you can always look for a different smith as a option. The 2.0’s retails new for about what a blue line Glock costs so a trade in/your money will go further.

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input, I watched the apex install videos and I'm thinking the time + parts cost vs a glock that's ready to go make sense to go glock.
    What are M&P9s going for these days? Seems a Gen1 is around 3-400?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the input, I watched the apex install videos and I'm thinking the time + parts cost vs a glock that's ready to go make sense to go glock.
    What are M&P9s going for these days? Seems a Gen1 is around 3-400?
    Stock Gen 1s are typically in the low 300s, I just sold a 2.0 for $350, brand new gen 1s and 2s are less than $400.

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nah I don't think an aftermarket barrel would be allowed in SSP.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    although its been said, many times, many ways... G19. i'm personally a gen 4 fanboy, but have a wanting for a gen 5 45 mos.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m a Glock fanboy, but the Gen5s are truly great. Get a MOS model for when you decide to mount an optic later, plus they have no cutout in the grip and forward serrations.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the M&Ps, and they generally are alittle cheaper.

Sig P320 is another mainstream gun in the same category.

But in the end, Glocks mags are cheaper than anyone else, and the aftermarket parts and holster availability is endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How easy is co-witness with the MOS. I thought that adapter set put the RMR up too high like below. You can put on really high sights, but it is awkward. You still need suppressor sights for the milled slot and it is a more practical set up for CCW. It is also a stronger mounting system.

uxrXYgg.jpg

RMR mounted in a milled out slot. Co-witness provides functional backup sights and also makes finding the dot faster and gives a reference point for the dot if it gets way out of alignment. Issue is that most of these red dots have different foot prints so if you mill it out for the RMR and there is only one other red dot brand out that will fit that milled and drill-tapped hole configuaration. a mounting plate adapter gets around that allowing the mounting to be more universal.
    New_RMR_1__66033.1464706457.1280.1280.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It don’t matter if you go Milled, MOS, or another mounting system, you’ll still need taller sights to get co-witness. How tall depends on the mount system and the optic. With an RMR mounted to an MOS Glock via a CHPWS plate, I use the same “standard” suppressor height irons as I did with a milled mount. The body of the optic is only marginally taller than the milled guns I have had from ATEi and Boresight Solutions. Depth of the milled mount depends on the shop that did it, but there is a maximum depth before you start cutting into the internal pockets.

The CHPWS plate brings the strength of the mount to a near match with a milled gun.

For irons, I use either Ameriglo GL-429 or Dawson MOS. Both are under .400 in height, front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good answer. Are you carrying your set up concealed. I just checked a holster I recently purchased for mine to see if it had clearance for the higher MOS mounting. It might work with it, but I am not sure. It would be a real close fit. If you are going for the higher mount, probably need to specify that when buying a holster. My holster is from Dale Fricke and is inside the waist band and used for appendix position.
    Below picture of screw sets for different RMR mounting configurations.

Screw order for RMR/SRO for Slide Saddle/Narrow Slide Adapter for Mounting RMR to MOS Pistol/Holosun. The RMR/SRO is for the milled slide and the screws do appear longer than for the MOS setup. The last choice is for the MOS. Are the shorter screws enough? i am not sure because I have not seen it tested. Testing has to include blows to the RMR and not just shooting. The downside is cost here and people make money milling and also selling milled slides saying that this is what you must have. I know the milled mount is the strongest. I mention the commercial angle since the Suarez International are the ones that did popularize the concept about 2010, but they have a reputation of trying tell people if it is cheaper it is worthless. Sometimes true and other times not. Life is full choices for sure.
    Suarez-Screw-Pack_6__32161.1563389622.jpg

Last edited:

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    If you have decided to go Glock this may not help. If your still thinking M&P I have two thoughts. First the difference from SSP to ESP is not huge. You are not going to be last because you made some tweaks the that shifted you one division. Second I have two M&P's with Apex triggers if you want to give them a try before you decide. I have a 5” and a 4.25 Core if you want the dot.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd suggest checking into a Tanfoglio Witness before making a final decision...
    got me outta Glocks completely because the grip is SO much better...
    and I'm down to one S&W as well...won't be long before that goes away either.
    tanfog.jpg

Attachments

• tanfog.jpg
      tanfog.jpg
      442.9 KB · Views: 100

Hatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have decided to go Glock this may not help. If your still thinking M&P I have two thoughts. First the difference from SSP to ESP is not huge. You are not going to be last because you made some tweaks the that shifted you one division. Second I have two M&P's with Apex triggers if you want to give them a try before you decide. I have a 5” and a 4.25 Core if you want the dot.
    Thanks man, I would like to try an apex setup. Are you a DZIDPA member?
    Good points about classing, I am still pretty new to competition.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone ever figured out which motor oil is best? .
    Well, that’s similar to which handgun brand is the best. Hickok45 really likes Glocks and Jerry Miculek Really likes Smiths. I really like both and when someone told me the reason glocks always work is because the chamber is sloppy, I didn’t believe them but u know what they were correct. Because of that u really want to listen to glock and only shoot factory ammo and no +P+ but if u don’t want to, then be prepared to send it back to them and for $100 plus tax they will send you a brand new plastic frame to your house with an adult signature! Now ask me how I know this! Oh and good luck with whatever u decide. I still like them both but use all metal guns when experimenting with reloads!

Last edited:

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Have you held a cz p10c, walther (cdnn has them fairly cheap on a regular) , canik tp9sf ( have the fx version and love it, or the m&p 2.0 ?

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Stock Gen 1s are typically in the low 300s, I just sold a 2.0 for $350, brand new gen 1s and 2s are less than $400.

And I've seen stock gen 1s through different vendors for sub 300 for a while. The fact is that there are sales which put the 2.0 for 350 not to mention s&w regularly having rebates .

Top Bottom