• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boy Scouts of America files for bankruptcy after sex abuse lawsuits
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/boy-scouts-of-america-files-for-bankkruptcy-after-sex-abuse-lawsuits

Quite a sorry state of affairs

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection early Tuesday after decades of sexual abuse claims within one of the country's largest youth organizations.

The petition, filed in Delaware bankruptcy court, halts the hundreds of lawsuits the BSA is facing that allege sexual misconduct by people within the 110-year-old organization over the years.

Sexual abuse settlements had reportedly strained the Boy Scouts' finances, with states passing laws last year so victims from long-ago abuse can sue for damages.

Mike Pfau, an attorney whose firm was representing 300 victims in New York as of last April, said the bankruptcy would be "bigger in scale than any other sex abuse bankruptcy."

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The catholic church declined to comment.......
    MV5BYjkwZDQxNjgtMTVkMi00NmUwLWJkZjUtNDQ5ZGM3N2FlY2Q3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

Attachments

• MV5BYjkwZDQxNjgtMTVkMi00NmUwLWJkZjUtNDQ5ZGM3N2FlY2Q3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg
      MV5BYjkwZDQxNjgtMTVkMi00NmUwLWJkZjUtNDQ5ZGM3N2FlY2Q3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 127
    Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I sure hope the 4-H clubs are not next.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Did nobody think the BSA was fucked up when they allowed girls and queers to join. In fact queers as scout masters.
    Did that seem like NORMAL BEHAVIOR ?? ---- SAWMAN

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve watched this organization slowly go downhill since I was 18 and moved on to the Marines (1984) once I graduated high school. I made it all the way to Eagle Scout. They use to not let gay folks, boys or adults join. The Supreme Court upheld it, saying it was a private organization. United Way was the huge donor back then, to the tune of millions. They pushed the “let’s allow gays” into the Boy Scouts by threatening to cut off their donations. You can see how that decision AND allowing girls to join is working out. Sad state of affairs.
    I was the city kid who joined to go camping, to experience the outdoors. My middle class upbringing put me in a small Boy Scout Troop at a local Lutheran Church (I’m Catholic and our Church had a huge very well organized troop) All of the kids who were in the troop I joined were from my grammar school. It was run by our parents, hence no adults were cho-mo’s. More than one adult was always camping with us boys. While we were not a rich Boy Scout Troop, we placed always in the area Boy Scout competitions (first aid, orienteering, cooking). Turns out back in the 80’s , the Chicago Area Council gave out big bucks to the minority troops. All of those troops looked like cookie cutter Norman Rockwell scenes with kids wearing official Boy Scout of America uniforms from head to toe. Our troop was basic, all you needed was the shirt and neckerchief, if you were poor, they pulled an old one out of the whiskey locker or the troop bought you one. Yes we sent kids every year to summer camp in Michigan at Camp Owassappi,owned by he Chicago Area Council. While our troop were regular kids who’s parents were mostly blue collar types, we did do high adventure stuff. No we didn’t go to Philmont(New Mexico) as it cost $$$$, but rather our parents/ leaders planned our own. One summer we canoed across the state of Michigan on the AuSable river (200+ miles) earning us all the 50 Mile Afoot/Afloat award. Being from the Midwest, we all earned to Polar Bear award by camping overnight in 12” of snow after preparing our own meals and shelter. Things like that. I’m still good friends with a lot of the guys in my troop. Sadly, a few years after we all moved on to college or the service and our parents earned their empty nester status and quit the troop, the newer generation of kids and their no show parents ruined it. Our 50 yr old Troop ended up shutting down. Urban renewal in my neighborhood saw the sale of the small Lutheran Church, St Andrews to a Hispanic Baptist Church. As I say, the “flavor” of our neighborhood was changing, even though it was still a blue collar lower middle class place.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve watched this organization slowly go downhill since I was 18 and moved on to the Marines (1984) once I graduated high school. I made it all the way to Eagle Scout. They use to not let gay folks, boys or adults join. The Supreme Court upheld it, saying it was a private organization. United Way was the huge donor back then, to the tune of millions. They pushed the “let’s allow gays” into the Boy Scouts by threatening to cut off their donations. You can see how that decision AND allowing girls to join is working out. Sad state of affairs.
    I was the city kid who joined to go camping, to experience the outdoors. My middle class upbringing put me in a small Boy Scout Troop at a local Lutheran Church (I’m Catholic and our Church had a huge very well organized troop) All of the kids who were in the troop I joined were from my grammar school. It was run by our parents, hence no adults were cho-mo’s. More than one adult was always camping with us boys. While we were not a rich Boy Scout Troop, we placed always in the area Boy Scout competitions (first aid, orienteering, cooking). Turns out back in the 80’s , the Chicago Area Council gave out big bucks to the minority troops. All of those troops looked like cookie cutter Norman Rockwell scenes with kids wearing official Boy Scout of America uniforms from head to toe. Our troop was basic, all you needed was the shirt and neckerchief, if you were poor, they pulled an old one out of the whiskey locker or the troop bought you one. Yes we sent kids every year to summer camp in Michigan at Camp Owassappi,owned by he Chicago Area Council. While our troop were regular kids who’s parents were mostly blue collar types, we did do high adventure stuff. No we didn’t go to Philmont(New Mexico) as it cost $$$$, but rather our parents/ leaders planned our own. One summer we canoed across the state of Michigan on the AuSable river (200+ miles) earning us all the 50 Mile Afoot/Afloat award. Being from the Midwest, we all earned to Polar Bear award by camping overnight in 12” of snow after preparing our own meals and shelter. Things like that. I’m still good friends with a lot of the guys in my troop. Sadly, a few years after we all moved on to college or the service and our parents earned their empty nester status and quit the troop, the newer generation of kids and their no show parents ruined it. Our 50 yr old Troop ended up shutting down. Urban renewal in my neighborhood saw the sale of the small Lutheran Church, St Andrews to a Hispanic Baptist Church. As I say, the “flavor” of our neighborhood was changing, even though it was still a blue collar lower middle class place.

The boy scouts use to promote shooting for a merit badge. I do not know if that was still going on in the 80's. I would guess all of the money for the black kids at that time was meant to provide an alternative to the gangs and I have no problem with that. There are much worse things to donate money to. If done right I think the boy and cub scouts was a wholesome organization for young males. I assume there is no replacement for it.
    What a shame.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The boy scouts use to promote shooting for a merit badge. I do not know if that was still going on in the 80's. I would guess all of the money for the black kids at that time was meant to provide an alternative to the gangs and I have no problem with that. There are much worse things to donate money to. If done right I think the boy and cub scouts was a wholesome organization for young males. I assume there is no replacement for it.
    What a shame.

You have a good point. Yes, shooting .22 rifles and pistols was alive and well at Camp Black Hawk (Go!) at Owassappi, the summer camp. My comment was an observation of the times, that’s all. I should have said all of their gear (uniforms, tents, etc) was brand new BSA stuff. If we wanted new anything, our troop had Pancake Breakfast’s and Spaghetti Dinners. One great thing about the small church that sponsored us, the whole congregation and our families and friends chocked down all the food we made with a smile, God Bless them all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom