• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam's push to ban the sale of assault weapons failed on Monday after some of his fellow Democrats balked at the proposal.

Senators voted to shelve the bill for the year and ask the state crime commission to study the issue, an outcome that drew cheers from a committee room packed with gun advocates.

Four moderate Democrats joined Republicans in Monday's committee vote, rejecting legislation that would have prohibited the sale of certain semiautomatic firearms, including popular AR-15 style rifles, and banned the possession of magazines that hold more than 12 rounds.

The bill was a top priority for Northam, who has campaigned heavily for a broad package of gun-control measures. The governor's spokeswoman, Alena Yarmosky, said he's disappointed with the result but determined to continue to press for the measure.

“We will be back next year," she said.

David Majure, a gun-rights supporter who attended the committee hearing, said he's glad about Monday's results but not convinced the bill is dead for the year.

“I'm happy about it, but I don't trust them," he said.

Virginia is the current epicenter of the country's heated debate over guns, as a new Democratic majority seeks to enact strict new limits.

Democrats ran heavily on gun control during last year's legislative elections when they flipped control of the General Assembly for the first time in more than two decades.

But gun owners, especially in rural communities, have pushed back hard. Last month, tens of thousands of guns-rights activists from around the country flooded the Capitol and surrounding area in protest, some donning tactical gear and carrying military rifles. And more than 100 counties, cities and towns have declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries, vowing to oppose any new “unconstitutional restrictions” on guns.

The proposed assault weapon ban has received the most opposition. Gun owners have accused the governor and others of wanting to confiscate commonly owned guns and accessories from law-abiding gun owners. Northam and his allies have said repeatedly they do not want to confiscate guns, but argued that banning new sales of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines would help prevent mass murders.

"This bill will save lives," said Democratic Del. Mark Levine, who sponsored the legislation.

Earlier proposals to ban possession of AR-15-style rifles or to require owners to register them with state police have been scrapped. The governor had hoped a watered-down version would win over enough Democratic moderates for passage.

But moderate Democrats in the state Senate have said for weeks they are uncomfortable passing legislation that would affect so many current gun owners.

An estimated 8 million AR-style guns have been sold since they were introduced to the public in the 1960s. The weapons are known as easy to use, easy to clean and easy to modify with a variety of scopes, stocks and rails.

Lawmakers voted to table the bill Monday with little debate, while noting that there was confusion over what types of guns would constitute an assault weapon.

“There are obviously a lot of questions about definitions in this bill. Definitions do matter,” said Democratic Sen. Creigh Deeds.

The Senate has now rejected three of the governor's eight gun-control measures. Moderate Democrats have already voted with Republicans to kill a bill that would make it a felony to “recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm” in a way that endangers a minor, and a bill that would require gun owners to report the loss or theft of a gun to police.

Lawmakers in both the House and Senate have already advanced several other gun-control measures and should finalize passage in the coming days. Those bills include limiting handgun purchases to once a month; universal background checks on gun purchases; allowing localities to ban guns in public buildings, parks and other areas; and a red flag bill that would allow authorities to temporarily take guns away from anyone deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So, the conversation is something like:

- I'm gonna brutally rape you.
    - No! You can't do that!
    - I'm gonna.
    - No you're not!
    - Ok, fine. I'm just gonna rape you "gently".
    - NO.
    - Ok, fine. I won't brutally rape you now. But I'm gonna do it next year.
    - Yay! Wait, what?!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a great victory and of course the issue is still on the table. The pro-gun side made it very clear that they would not obey the law and some moderates on the democratic side retreated from backing that proposed gun law ban.
    Much better than reading that gun banning is now the law in Virginia.
    For next year it will depend on elections to the Virginia house-senate and if Trump wins. If Bloomberg gets to be president things will be likely real bad.
    At the very least it will give people over there time to get the guns, magazines, and ammo that they need prior to such a law being enacted in the future.
    It is is the same here in FL. The anti-gun amendment did not make it this year to the ballot. We got a two year breather to get what we want and maybe both here and Virginia none of the legal bans will make it into law.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gov northam will keep pushing AWB and gun control because its the shield he used very effectively deflect the heat from his "Black Face" history which had the public and Dem controlled media calling for him to resign. He said he was bringing heavy Gun Control to the table and his black face issue opponents just STFU immediately. Shows the Gun Control Card trumps the Race Card! For the record, the Impeachment Card trumped Gun Control in the House. Lol

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah but what about all the other gun control items that they DID pass? Win one, lose 3 others? Death by 1000 cuts.......

I read there were a total of 8 bills and I not able to find a listing for happened to the other 7 proposed laws.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The only thing that is going to make the Dems stand up and notice is if they get replaced. Otherwise, those same bills will be back again. Then, if they are re-elected there will be more and more anti-gun bills.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    They outlawed suppressors. Silencers as they call them. No grandfather law from what I read. Instant felon. Owners have till July I believe to get rid of them

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    They outlawed suppressors. Silencers as they call them. No grandfather law from what I read. Instant felon. Owners have till July I believe to get rid of them

Aaaand there's another reason to use an NFA Trust. "The items in question are in a free state with another trustee."

Not by any means a justification for the continued government overreach, but it might make some folks feel better to have a legal option to retain ownership of their NFA toys.

Lots of treasonous politicians getting bold and showing their true colors.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gun control on a state level will come to more states. Eventually there will be more federal laws and I believe eventually it may become like prohibition with the country full of scofflaws. It is getting to the point where many of us are going say no. If one talks to the typical antigun person, usually a democrat and tell them that the police will raid houses and there will be killings and people going to jail. They say no no, you just must turn them in and the police will not be going door to door. These are the same people that think we should shut down all coal mines and oil wells to fight global warming.
    I that there is a very vicious side to them and as long as someone else does the raiding against trump supporters they are fine with it. With them anyone with a gun is a trump supporter and an evil doer regardless of the truth. Extremists could be the end of us.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I got an idea, anywhere south of the Mason-dixon line is a 2a sanctuary, all "HR" divisions are fired. Bathrooms signs will be adhered to. All NFA items are now legal. No background checks. If you are here illegally you will be deported post haste. Courthouse squares will build gallows. Sentences of death will occur on the day of court in plain sight. Smarting off, cursing or assaulting law enforcement, high speed chases or any other shit will result in an ass beating. City, state and federal offices will no longer provide food, lodging,phones and medical unless you are 62 or older. I could go on for hours about "my utopia "

If they dont like it stay north.

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got an idea, anywhere south of the Mason-dixon line is a 2a sanctuary, all "HR" divisions are fired. Bathrooms signs will be adhered to. All NFA items are now legal. No background checks. If you are here illegally you will be deported post haste. Courthouse squares will build gallows. Sentences of death will occur on the day of court in plain sight. Smarting off, cursing or assaulting law enforcement, high speed chases or any other shit will result in an ass beating. City, state and federal offices will no longer provide food, lodging,phones and medical unless you are 62 or older. I could go on for hours about "my utopia "

I like the way you think! You show real promise to be the savior of America!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

What is wrong with doing the same north of mason dixon line lol.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

According to American Supressor Association this was defeated on Monday also. It passed the house but got shot down in the Senate.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quote Originally Posted by stage20 View Post
    According to American Supressor Association this was defeated on Monday also. It passed the house but got shot down in the Senate.
    At this point I would like to get better information on exactly what laws passed.

I hope that Gov of Virginia ends up in the same place as did this form governor of Illinois did and that Trump does not let him out.

Trump announced midday he had commuted the prison sentence of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat who has served eight years of a 14-year sentence for the pay-for-play charges. Trump had been weighing the move since at least since 2018.
    "He served eight years in jail, a long time. He seems like a very nice person, don't know him," Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews, suggesting the television appeals of Blagojevich's wife Patti helped cement his decision.

111130124550-illinois-governor-rod-blagojevich-exlarge-169.jpg
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/politics/donald-trump-rod-blagojevich-commutation-sentence/index.html

Top Bottom