DK Firearms

How to rid my property of annoying Cicada behind my fence are driving me crazy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Constantine93

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These Cicada have been here about a week and even though there was snow 3-4 days ago now it is rain weather. I thought insects do not survive good in gold weather. They are making noise louder than what most other Cicada make, this is like a super insect noise.
    My master bedroom window is close to the back yard I live on a very small bit of land not even 0.25 acre. Behind my fence is a large section of not developed land which is in the process of building new homes for the suburb but there is still a good amount of empty land.

I cannot sleep it is 3:15AM central time and these damn Cicada are in trees (past my fence) and I cannot take the sound they are making anymore! Is almost as if they have invaded the trees and will not stop making noise, how do I make these annoying pest go away? Is there something I can spray to make them leave?!

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Catch 'em . . sell them to the Chinese . . they eat them . . use the money to buy a new gun.
    A win-win. ---- SAWMAN

Constantine93

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If that noise is frogs then these are frogs from hell. It is winter time these sort of insects, (reptiles) should be hibernating.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    If that noise is frogs then these are frogs from hell. It is winter time these sort of insects, (reptiles) should be hibernating.

You'd be suprised. If it's a wet area its frogs.
    I've summer camped in the swamp, louder than hell. Shotgun blast shuts em up for about 3 mins. My 2 cents, jack daniels before bed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I knew someone else that nearly went crazy from hearing cicadas during one summer in Pensacola. Taking the trees down would work, but that does not seem to be an option. Frogs-toads can also be loud. A mosquito fogger that can get up into the trees maybe.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just read:
    But they only emerge when the soil is warm, typically a relatively toasty 64 degrees Fahrenheit. So they are nature’s thermometers in the sense that they are broadcasting the soil temperature. It has to be relatively warm to reach 63- 66 degrees Fahrenheit at a depth of 20 cm in the soil. When it gets that warm, the cicada nymphs began to emerge
    Seems to be the wrong time of the year of cicadas.

Constantine93

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never been to jail in (in any country)-Croatia or America so I doubt I would sleep either.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get better windows...double pane insulated...then, add a third pane exterior with lexan/plexiglass.
    Right at the far edge of the window opening, use Liquid Nail/etc to put that in place.
    After that, you won't hear squat. Also gives Cat. 1 maybe 2 protection.

Or, instead of the lexan, use that new clear corrugated stuff, and attach it to the outer wall with studs.
    That way you are covered for Cat. 3 hurricanes yet still get light in.

Or the Big One...get those automated steel shutters like on the outside of a pawn shop's windows/doors.
    Close 'em at night on an automatic timer, you will never hear cicadas again.
    Also solves bad guy and weather issues for the most part ;)

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just read:
    Seems to be the wrong time of the year of cicadas.

Weather has been mad crazy warm this year....part of it is due to the axis of the earth taking a northward away from us turn, Russia's colder than normal, while the US/Canada are getting unseasonably warm temps. Also a bit of El Nino leftovers and a pinch of HAARP, no doubt ;)

Everyone forgets that the Earth actually changes its axis on a regular basis...at its own mood swings ;)
    Also is responsible for a fair amount of the "Global Warming" BS...they don't take Earth's Axis changes into account...they pretend its'a FIXED axis, like on a kid's globe, which it is anything but. A couple degrees of deviation makes for interesting times in weather departments...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Weather has been mad crazy warm this year....part of it is due to the axis of the earth taking a northward away from us turn, Russia's colder than normal, while the US/Canada are getting unseasonably warm temps. Also a bit of El Nino leftovers and a pinch of HAARP, no doubt ;)

Everyone forgets that the Earth actually changes its axis on a regular basis...at its own mood swings ;)
    Also is responsible for a fair amount of the "Global Warming" BS...they don't take Earth's Axis changes into account...they pretend its'a FIXED axis, like on a kid's globe, which it is anything but. A couple degrees of deviation makes for interesting times in weather departments...
    On this I agree with you. Before anyone starts spending billions of dollars and furlongs all of the energy workers and shutting down the oil wells&mines, get some reliable facts and conclusions. I

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You could always move. And if you're hearing them inside your house, then you could re-insulate it and maybe add sound proofing materials in your bedroom walls and ceiling. I have tinnitus and hear the high pitch sound 24-7. Oh, and those sound producing "white noise" machines don't work for me. My tinnitus is way too loud to mask. At least you can cure your problem. g/l

Constantine93

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never used a white noise machine before. I am going to better sound proof my house. I have the impression this home was built as fast and cheap as possible. It is only 4 years old but most modern houses are very quickly assembled and there is very poor workmanship.

Top Bottom