• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would but since my AR in x39 runs so well I don't see the point. Ar parts are already very cheap, I cannot see them going done past $350 that they are now for a complete AR

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Made in the U.S.A. Kalashnikov KR 103 has a MRP of $1059. I haven't seen one on the street yet. Some folks may be dumping their AKs of various mfr for a "Russian" (kinda).

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got turned off of the cheaper made in USA AKs after a lot of horror stories about them. Mine were made overseas. Compared to the AR, the only real advantage of the AK is its excellent magazine. If you run 7.62x39 in an AR, there are stories of breakage of the extractors and bolt lugs. Put an H3 buffer in mine with thought of slowing down the bolt to go easier on the extractor and lugs. Not sure if that is a valid assumption.
    A decent AK today will cost what an upper tier AR will cost and a lower tier AR often run just fine anyway. An AR15 300 blackout runs well and is almost as powerful as an AK in 7.62x39.
    so for me, 2020 is the year to get all of the ARs I need before they possibly becomes illegal.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've owned some AKs over the years but I just never found them very comfortable to hold & shoot. I'll stick with ARs (including one in 7.62x39 that I "built" and haven't gotten around to firing yet). YMMV

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't shoot rifles a lot so that may play into it, but I like the safety and manual of arms on an AK and it just seems so intuitive to flip down while bringing the rifle up on target and hand is sliding down to a full pistol grip. Same with flipping it up when the rifle comes down off target.

Could be because I started pistol shooting with Glocks before I ever touched an AR and never really developed any muscle memory for activating a safety with my thumb. I'll admit I don't always100% intuitively activate the safety when coming up on target with an AR. Need to be shooting more obviously. With an AK, however, it just happens 100% without even having to think about it and I have more time behind an AR than an AK.

I know 95% prefer the ergonomics of the AR and they do look and feel sleeker but there is just something I can't quite fully express in words about an AK that just seems to work for me ergonomics wise. Call me crazy.

No doubt the AR is a softer shooter and faster in gun games and all the people who like to do super fast manipulations and all that prefer them but I'm not entirely convinced that stuff makes a huge difference in a real world situation. You know like hunkered down behind cover! Just can't picture the scenario where I'm running and gunning a 30 round mag dry and the only thing that stands between me and a certain death is a 1.5 second mag change and shot on target! Who knows.

Probably going to pick up one of PSA's 5.56 AKs that is coming out later this year.

Top Bottom