• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright fellas, I am finally in a place where I’d like to get a new gun and I decided that I wanted to go with the AR platform. Now I know there are a ton of options and variables so I need some help narrowing down what to get. Most is going to be preference I know but I want to buy a gun that will meet my needs and of course get the best bang for my buck. I don’t plan to stockpile ammo for this gun.

I know I can build a gun but I have no clue where to start. I was considering just getting a prebuilt gun and going from there for the future. I have looked at calibers and that is a tough choice too. I would prefer if I could use it for hunting deer and hogs. I’ve been looking at 7.62x39 and 300 blackout. Anyways, here are my questions...

Where can I get more info on building a gun?
    What caliber would you go with?
    Price range $800 or less. After all this is just a beginner AR to get me in the game.

Here is one I’ve been looking at just to give you an idea. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/di...per-semiautomatic-rifle#repChildCatid=5099214

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Add to your chamberings to be considered - -> 6.8SPC.
    Only one shot needed. 10.5" bbl . . 120gr Hornady SST. Hog was 260lbs+. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg
      IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg
      675.8 KB · Views: 195

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would look at Palmetto State Armory. Pick the upper you want and the lower you want and pin them together. I would say 16” barrel for a “do all” first AR. Unless you want to go with a pistol. Once you handle one you may want to go that route but the shorter the barrel the slower the velocity.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless you really desire to Build an AR, there is very good quality factory complete 5.56/300BO AR rifles and pistols in your price range. You may get higher quality of individual parts but I don't think that's necessary for your basic application/use. If I'm interpeting your intended purpose correctly, a AR that delivers 2MOA @ 100 yards would be sufficient. Use your "saved" money for the optic and/or a drop in trigger If you can't adjust your shooting to the factory trigger. You don't need to go with a shorter pistol configuration w/brace for hunting. Woods/brush/blinds are much different than requirements for close quarters maneuverability and with every cartridge: you will loose velicoty chasing tacticoolness. Lol

Your starting with almost a blank slate. Review and choose the caliber first then a few optimim loads (factory or reloading) and which twist rate suits them the best. With caliber and twist rate, you can start shopping around for parts or a factory gun. A 18 or better yet 20 inch barrel with proper twist rate to match loads/cartridges with the best ballistic coefficients (BC) will get better velicoty, less drop and less wind deflection and deliver better accuracy. You may or may not reload ammo and that may limit you cartridge BC availability, but Factory ammo data is available.

The only thing I would strongly recommend is a flat top optics ready/railed Upper, to include a railed section above gas port/end of forend

Start reading: a Series of articles on building an AR, has 10 Sections including areas you asked about.
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/?s=build+an+ar

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    It's hard to beat palmetto State. In your price range you can get a really nice setup. Under 400 for basic 16". You can get a real nice upper and add a scope easily for 800

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    You can get an assembled upper from bear creek arsenal. I got a 450 bushmaster fir about 250. They have others too, also side chargers.

Forgot to mention they gaurentte 1 moa. (With proper ammo and shooting techniques)

They are right about PSA. I have several and want more!( lowers)

That kg upper I just got fits like it was made for it psa lower, no air gap, no rock.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    'Nuther thing - - -> for your first AR you might want to keep it simple. As stated above . . . pick lower . . pick upper . . pin together. Add rings,scope,mo-bedda trigger,go shoot. FIRST look at PSA.
    If you start putting all kinds of exotic,rad,cool,far out,etc,etc parts on your gun,when it comes time to sell it for the move up,you will have to eat the cost of MOST parts.
    A trigger pack,NiB BCG,rings and scope are ok. You can take them with you. ( The same BCG works for 223/5.56 and 300BLK. )
    Read up . . study up . . ask questions . . HAVE FUN. ---- SAWMAN

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    2 cents.... first AR

SW M&P Sport II .223 shoots just fine. somewhere around 500 Bucks.
    PSA KS-47 shoots the X39 round, and is a good accurate rifle IMO, around 450 smackers.

Don't get caught into thinking you have to spend 1,200 bucks on an AR....

The .50 Beowulf That's a kick butt rifle. Just have not had the chance to lay down a pig with it yet... some day...

so many to choose from. and they all do about the same thing... good luck, let us know what you decide.

forgot to mention, remember the cost of the ammo.... .223/X39 is pretty cheap compared to some of the more sexy stuff...

Last edited:

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome suggestions guys! Thank you for your input. I am going to do a little more research and make a selection on caliber. I am planning for future guns as well and what caliber might work for other rifles and what not. 7.62 is in the lead right now but who knows what I might do. Having a lower than can do 556 and 300 sounds cool too. I’m just looking for plain Jane so to speak for my first gun no tacticoolio. Don’t need to really shoot past 100 yards for the most part. I have a .270 for those spots. The good news is no matter what I do I can always sell it if I am not happy with it lol

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Go ahead and find one with a metal railed handguard so you don't have to go changing parts on it before you break it in. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom