• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I recently bought a used vehicle there. NEVER AGAIN! Read ALL the reviews available online. I was told this car was great. Three miles out of the lot, the engine check light came" EGR Issues. The computer was reset without fixing the issue. THEY said they fixed a malfunctioning driver's door window motor, they did not! I took it to a Ford senior mechanic and he said there was so much wrong with it, take it back! THEY would not! They said they would exchange it for another car, they did not! Checking the online reviews it shows that they do this a lot! Please understand: These are the facts! Don't go there.

McVay Motors is in Pensacola Florida on W Street.

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You don't have a location on your profile, and you don't mention any specifics in your post.
    Since this forum is on the interwebs, and we have members from all over this rock, I'll ask:

"Where exactly is this McVay Auto?"

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brought to mind and old story and as I recalled many were quite sympathetic with the killer that was victim of these guys that he killed.

Massacre at car dealership in 1970 or 71
    Posted by: Anonymous User ()
    Date: October 09, 2015 03:08PM

I'm trying to find any information about a massacre of employees at an auto sales agency in either the summer of 1970 or 1971. If I remember correctly 6 or 7 people were shotgunned to death by two or three men during a robbery. Thanks for your assistance

Jerry

Options: Reply•Quote

AD:

Re: Massacre at car dealership in 1970 or 71
    Posted by: Dunning1 ()
    Date: October 09, 2015 05:19PM

My memory is really foggy on this, but wasn't there some kind of shooting at Foreman Motors on Fullerton, just east of Cicero? They used to specialize in used Cadillacs and I remember something like that going on. I believe his son in law is Howard Orloff, and he changed the dealership over to Volvo, and later the current Jaguar dealer on North and the Kennedy Expy.

Options: Reply•Quote

AD:

Re: Massacre at car dealership in 1970 or 71
    Posted by: Dunning1 ()
    Date: October 09, 2015 07:26PM

Right name, almost, wrong spelling and address...
    Found this in the Chicago Tribune Archives of January 6, 1966.

Murder at Fohrman Motors, 2700 W. Madison St., killed were Sidney Fohrman, 49 of 9494 Hamlin, Skokie, Ed Fohrman, 910 N. Lake Shore Drive, and Albert Sizer, of 777 N. Michigan Avenue. They were alledgedly shot by Donald D. Jackson of 208 W. 94th St., who was sold a defective 1963 Cadillac by the dealership. Apparantly Jackson was killed at the scene by police.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A car lot that only handles used cars in volume. What could go wrong; caveat emptor.

BTW; if course they told you it was a great car. You didn't think they were going to say buy this piece of crap did you.?

MauserLarry

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently bought a used vehicle there. NEVER AGAIN! Read ALL the reviews available online. I was told this car was great. Three miles out of the lot, the engine check light came" EGR Issues. The computer was reset without fixing the issue. THEY said they fixed a malfunctioning driver's door window motor, they did not! I took it to a Ford senior mechanic and he said there was so much wrong with it, take it back! THEY would not! They said they would exchange it for another car, they did not! Checking the online reviews it shows that they do this a lot! Please understand: These are the facts! Don't go there.

This is what the legal system is for. Morgan and Morgan can help you.

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm 77 years old and have owned many used cars, so I understand what "As-is" means. I spent a couple of days with the salesman and their mechanic talking about this car. THEY verbally told me in no uncertain terms that the car was gone over by their mechanic and the mechanic and salesman assured me the car was "good to go". The mechanic even said "he would buy the car for his sister or mother". I believed them...lessons learned!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm 77 years old and have owned many used cars, so I understand what "As-is" means. I spent a couple of days with the salesman and their mechanic talking about this car. THEY verbally told me in no uncertain terms that the car was gone over by their mechanic and the mechanic and salesman assured me the car was "good to go". The mechanic even said "he would buy the car for his sister or mother". I believed them...lessons learned!

I am almost as old as you and realize that unless that used car salesman has been your drinking buddy for the last 50 yrs. No and no.
    I recently purchased a used car and likely overpaid for it. I got one of the Toyotas with a warranty and I still know there could be problems. I always expect the worse, but I can easily afford to go out and buy another if i had to.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Regrettably, if its not in writing, clear concise and without ambiguity. How far or how much time is "good to go" or where to? Maybe the mech doesn't like his mother and sister? Tell them you want to record what they say about the used car(s) they want to sell you, see how they respond. "The car sells itself!" Lol.

Get a truck and rent a car trailer. Put car on trailer with appropriate signage on it. Tow it onto their lot. Tell them they can refund your costs or you will drive back and forth in front of his lot honking the horn till hell freezes over, and on day two local media will be called: human interest, deceiving Seniors and as a community service.

Make another sign and get a temp hire sign twirler to walk up and down the sidewalk/public right of way in front of the lot. Hire two for the next day! Family and friends can protest out front with signs too. How much bad PR does he want before he makes it right?

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm sincerely glad for you!
    A month ago I was rear-ended, totaled my car, by an out-of-state driver. He had no insurance and gave FHP officer a bogus out-of-state address. Yes, they let him walk away...Gone!
    I had to borrow the money from my wife's checking account and I repeated many times to the salesman and the mechanic that I didn't have any extra repair money. I didn't expect a new or perfect car but a usable. This one needed over 2,000 in repairs" Ball joints, brakes, EGR repair, coil packs, suspension work, etc.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Did you get all that is writing? all the gotta do is deny saying it...thieves work at these corner lot car sales places

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I really like Wildrider's idea. Give them all the bad publicity you can.
    Back in the 70s when I lived in Panama City, there was a car dealer who's commercials featured somebody honking their horn and yelling "Thanks a lot Buzz !"
    Somebody must've felt like ol' Buzz screwed them because for a good while there was a car driving around town with lemons painted all over it and the slogan "Thanks a lot Buzz!"

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think it pertains to new cars only. That's what I was told. I was going to take them to small claims court but that requires more money invested $$$$ without any guarantees. I reported them to the BBB Pensacola. They responded and I replied. I don't think they care! Here's the whole story.

McVay Motors, Inc Response
    02/04/2020

Mr ***** was well aware of buying a car As Is. His purchase was a 2500$ 2000 Ford Explorer. We hide nothing and he test drove the car and made a deal that we accepted. He could have taken the car to a mechanic before he purchased it and didn't do so. We would still trade him out of it. He signed several documents stating As Is and he was also offered and extended service policy to cover unexpected expenses. He declined. We have been here in Pensacola for 30 years and sell a higher mileage, older used car, and we Do Not take advantage of anyone. **** ********** Mgr McVay Motors
    Customer Response
    02/04/2020

****'s statement does not include the dialogue I personally had with his salesman and his mechanic. His sales person and mechanic made clear and concise (verbal) statements to me several times that the vehicle "they" recommended to me was gone over by mechanics with 40+ years experience and they would recommend buying it to their own family members. I fully understand that I was buying an "as-is' car BUT, by the sincere(?) oral recommendations from the salesman and mechanic, I believe and trusted their judgement. Furthermore, the driver's side window would not operate so, the salesman said that If I would commit to buying the car, "the boss" said they would fix the window; they never did. Based on the sincere(?) recommendations from the salesman and MECHANIC, I purchased the car. Upon driving the car going home (3 miles). the engine check light came on, much to my great disappointment. The next day I brought the car back and their mechanic confirmed that the EGR system was at fault. Please note: That if the fault computer is "cleared" without fixing the problem, the light would come back on, which it did. This means that a mechanic cleared the computer without fixing the car. I took the car to a senior "Ford mechanic" and he was appalled with the condition of the car mechanically and said I should take it back. He said that it will cost over $2,000 to just fix the car as is. I went back to McVay's at tried to reason with them. I asked if I could return the car and they said "No!" They said I could swap the car back to them but they have never followed up on the trade-in. I asked them if they would give me $1,000 back to help with the repairs; they would not! This transaction goes beyond "used, as-is" car deals. This is fraud. The car was never inspected or repaired before selling it to me. I was never informed that I could have it inspected: They said their mechanics did that. I had several verbal commitments / comments / statements that the car was in good condition which I have witnesses that also heard these verbal commitment. I called the manager to talk with him about this transaction but he never returned my calls. He can make his general statements about McVay's business practices and history but a thorough search of numerous internet sites / comments about doing business with his company,; you will see numerous complaints listed which describe the same (numerous) transactions / results.as I have experienced. To summarize: I was given numerous verbal assurances by the salesman and mechanic, which I felt superceded the "As-is" contract stipulations. I was wrong.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I literally gave a 2000 prizm away when I traded it in for $300. Whike that prizm was low mileage, but engine lights were on due to a vacuum leak, body panels rusted out and No air, But it always started and likely would have run another 5 yrs with minimal repair, but nothing that old is dependable and so I traded up for a 2016 toyota.

But i would never sell such a car to an individual due to liability and traded it in. They said the car would likely go to auction. Had almost new tires on it.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It sucks that this happened to you, but never believe someone trying to sell you a used vehicle. Take a look at all of the vehicles on Craigslist that say they ran great when parked, but just need a carb clean now. If that is all they need then why didn't they clean the carb which takes an hour and then up the price another $800-1000? Because the vehicle is junk 99% of the time and they are FOS 100% of the time.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I Posted a no B.S. used car ad today with full disclosure but I care about my reputation, Its obvious McVay doesn't. There's the written Contract AND verbal misrepresentation on several issues. You could probably get a lawyer to send them a letter ($150 +-) offering them the oppertunity rectify those issues prior to potential Civil Suit and Lien on assets.

Accounts with Reviews "contròlled by the business" can be scrubbed of bad comments and padded by good ones. Don't believe those Web mass vehicle sale listings that contain a 'dealer Rating". Always check BBB Ratings number of complaints and read the reports. Its basic due diligence to to protect you interests.

Top Bottom