• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Went in today to look around while wife was shopping KC Penny. They had the Ruger Wrangler at $199.99, so after looking I said I would buy it.

Employee took my IDs and started pecking on computer. He then handed me a tablet and told me to log in and what the password would be.

I asked it the information would be stored on the store's server and he said yes. Then he will print the form and the store would have to keep those printed copies on file.

I asked if the information is being stored electronically, and he said it was stored on the computer.

I declined and then went to seek a manager. Manager said that yes, they used the store computer to collect and store the information that was then used to print the FFL form. When I explained my concern on the electronic storage of my Personal Identify Information (PII), she told me that it was not stored permanently and would be gone tomorrow. I told her that with ny training and background I did not believe that was strictly true, and would not take the risk as electronic collection of PII was not required for firearms purchases under federal or state law.

I told her that I would NOT put my PII on the store computer/server as it is connected to the net and the information is not reliably deleted until the hard drive is wiped or destroyed. I also mentioned that they are collecting and creating an electronic PII file without proper explanation required by the Privacy Act of the US government. I also explained that I wanted to verify what I was told before I posted about it online as I am sure not many people will consent to having that level of personal information stored in Academy's computer, no matter how short it was supposed to be held!

I am done with that store for firearms purchases, your opinion may vary and no need to debate it with me here as that is not the intent of my post.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good info Ray.
    Last time I wanted to buy a gun from them,they refused to take the trigger lock off (the one that takes up the entire inside of the guard) so thet I could properly position my hand on the weapon (revolver).
    I talked to the store manager and he refused stating "store policy". ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ATF Rullings 2016-1 and 2016-2 "allow" but don't mandate electronic A&D Records and Form 4473. States clearly that FFL may continue to use paper Books/Logs and Forms. Seems Academy chose electronic methods but a person would need to compare Academy's data collections with A&D Logs & Forms to current Paper blocks of information required. IF that is the exact Data it would be illegal to destroy/erase/delete that information FFLs are REQUIRED to maintain while in business and forward to the Gov when they go out of business.

Depending where you buy, electronic records may be their format. Hacked systems are a potential problem, big business may be a more lucrative target than a small one of business. Look no further than all the big box stores, banks and corporations so impacted. Another reason to buy used privately while you can.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    ATF Rullings 2016-1 and 2016-2 "allow" but don't mandate electronic A&D Records and Form 4473. States clearly that FFL may continue to use paper Books/Logs and Forms. Seems Academy chose electronic methods but a person would need to compare Academy's data collections with A&D Logs & Forms to current Paper blocks of information required. IF that is the exact Data it would be illegal to destroy/erase/delete that information FFLs are REQUIRED to maintain while in business and forward to the Gov when they go out of business.

Depending where you buy, electronic records may be their format. Hacked systems are a potential problem, big business may be a more lucrative target than a small one of business. Look no further than all the big box stores, banks and corporations so impacted. Another reason to buy used privately while you can.

They use the data to print a form for signatures, and retain the paper form for records purposes. Both employee and manager were very clear on that point. With a paper form for record purposes I see no reason for the electronic collection.

Mikes had one same price, had being the operative tense. They are currently out of the black Wrangler as of this afternoon! LOL

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Cash America Pawn also uses the electronic 4473 program on a dedicated server.

Yes they do. I'm fairly friendly with one of the managers there. I will have to ask how they store info and if it's saved.
    But at this point in time, anyone can already obtain your information without going through a computer at academy sports.
    Does concern me but I'm just not sure the level of threat.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't blame you for not wanting your info stored, but the privacy act doesn't apply to private businesses only Federal agencies unless their is a state law that requires private businesses to comply. The 4473 the electronic info populates has the appropriate privacy act statement on it.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i woulda figured people woulda stopped buyin from them cuz their prices stink on ice... JMHHO

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks RankingRay. While I know very little of the legal requirements and how data is stored, I do know that anything held in a local computer is not secure. My major dealer out there on hwy 98 does use a computer for printing out out the receipt and I assume that some of my information stored on that computer if not the entirety of the sale. I have at least once had my credit card information at Target get stolen in a major data breech.
    so trusting academy to properly safeguard data does not sound like a wise decision.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    China hacked Equifax recently...stole about 145 million Americans info. You have a 50/50 chance they have each and every one of our’s info, just to place this in perspective.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    China hacked Equifax recently...stole about 145 million Americans info. You have a 50/50 chance they have each and every one of our’s info, just to place this in perspective.

There is that for sure in that many already have your information. But having others get again your information in updated form is still not helping anything.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If you use online banking, email or Facebook. Odds are your info has already been sold. It's just how it is being used.

Top Bottom