APOD Firearms

12 gauge plus .22 pistol, or Rossi Matched Pair?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm going to be in the market for a new gun (or two) soon, and I'm struggling with a decision.

I have owned the Rossi Matched Pair before, the .410/.22lr combo. It was hands down my favorite gun. It did everything I asked of it. It lasted me 14 years, and I could have had it fixed when it finally broke, but I wanted something new, shiny, etc.

On the other hand, I don't have a gun that I would use for larger game. The .22 and .410 aren't enough for deer or good sized pigs. A 12 gauge with slugs or buckshot, and a .22 pistol for small game, would take care of anything in the woods I might want or need to shoot.

Concealed carry and home defense are already taken care of, so this is for fun and food.

My price range would work with any of the choices, but I would need practice with anything I get. .22 and 12 gauge offer more ammo choices at a better cost, but one gun instead of two woul leave me with more money for ammo.

Any thoughts or input?
    Thanks,
    sj1

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All those two barrel combo guns are single shot, not a good thing to be on the ground with boar running around. No good if you piss off momma bear w/cubs either. As much as we try, not all game drops on the spot with a single shot and the faster you can fire a follow up shot; the better. A multi shot 12ga could work within range/choke/shell limitations but why impose such limits on yourself? A repeating centerfire can be purchased for equivalent shotgun money. Only leaving caliber and action choices to be made. "Used" firearms also bring capability at a lower than new price too. Good standard .22LRs rifles are economical too and the cartridge capacity would be reason enough to forget about your former swithc barrel. YMMV

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good question. I guess a .410 slug would do the job.

The .410 slugs people tell me do kill, but the standard factory load is not real powerful compared to a 12 ga..
    1/4 oz. Winchester 3″ slug 1800 ft/s 1066.7 J source wiki
    Up close it is not so bad. If the gun is full choke the slugs will get squeezed/swagged down to about 39 caliber and it weighs 125 grains. Sort of like a .357 mag in a rifle.
    For up close on a hog maybe cut shells or wax loads with 3/4 oz loads might work and again they might not penetrate enough.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have been looking for a 30-06/12ga combo for a while. found a 30-30/12ga combo and bought it..until I find the one I really want. savage model 24

my suggestion is either the 22lr/12ga you are looking for, or a .22mag/12ga combo would be a handy gun to have.., Baikal has some, made in Russian weapons factory, by Remington/spartan

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thank you all for the good advice. It's true that both choices I mentioned are compromises. The last 12 gauge I had, I had it set up as a "one size fits all" gun, and it sat for over a year without being fired.
    I know I would shoot a .22 . I believe I would be better off with a gun I would use, and if I decide to go after bigger game, I would save my pennies for a dedicated deer/pig gun.
    So, it looks like either a .22 pistol, something I could customize as I saw fit; or a .22 rifle along the same lines.
    I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Top Bottom